Pool 7 quick report

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Saturday, pool 7 was on fire. It was a great day to be out on the water and frustrating at the same time, that it wasn’t a tournament day. The fish were very active and were hammering fast moving baits. Topwater was an absolute bust even though shad were busting all over. The main channel is like a big lake as the current is almost nonexistent. If it’s been said once , it’s been said a thousand times. Current=fish. Our 4 biggest fish weighed in at just over 14lbs. Many, many 2.5 fish, and a very nice bunch of 3lb fish. The fish in the pic was our biggest tipping the scales at 4.5lbs. For as good as the fishing was on Saturday, it will only get better as fall approaches. Get out and get yourself some!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

You my Boy Blue!!! (Name that movie quote!!) Sounds like you had a good time this weekend. I did quite well fishing the Lake as well..SO MANY BOATERS out this weekend though!!! It was hard finding places that didn’t have people on it already…Had to break away and head out to broken gun area, some of the other mid lake islands…found some nice LMB out that way.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

You my Boy Blue!!! (Name that movie quote!!)

OLD SCHOOL

……so what do i win ???

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If you can find your way to Dresbach from Winona, I’ll give you a free day of fishing pool 7.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Right on!! What do you win? Instant Self-Gratification?…lol…

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Agree, Blue Fleck… Fishing on 7 on Saturday was AWESOME… 30 legals in 4 hours… best this year, with a nearly a 4 lber… gotta love it.

Sunday, however, was another story… fishing was “ok” but sure was lackluster as compared to Saturday… Could only find a few. Wonder why? Same conditions, just 24 hours separating the time… Ah, the fun of fishing…

Question for the crew: While out Sat and Sun, I met up with a gentlemen by the name of Ben… great guy. He and I showed up at the same time each AM on the same spot… Each fishing alone… (Ok, me with my dog)… We decided to fish it together, as opposed to flipping a coin for the spot. Did well – both of us. And, enjoyed the discussions – Ben, hope you check out the board.

This leads me to my question…. Some guys pre-fishing for what I presume to be the MN BASS qualifier came right up to me fishing my spots SEVERAL times… Almost as if they were following me as I “runned and gunned”… (Ben, too, as it turns out.) The boaters came up slow and watched us… watched our presentation, the fish, how and where we fished… Some actually sat there for nearly 10-15 minutes and asked many questions… sitting right off the bow…

Now, is this ethical? Legal by tourney standards? Is this right from a gentlemen fisherman perspective? I ask because I am unsure how to view this? I realize they are trying to WIN, but…

Help, what do you guys think?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Guys like that I usually help out. They are only in the area for a few days and won’t be much of a problem in the long run. I helped out a few guys over the weekend and I know for a fact I put a few guys on some great spots. There isn’t much a guy can do. If you ignore them and give them the cold shoulder you only end up looking bad. Sure, I could have jumped up and down on the bow of the boat screaming to be left alone, but what purpose does that serve. I don’t think the tournament allows talking to the locals, but that is on their shoulders.

As far as the fishing on Sunday, yes it was definitely not as good as Sat. but we manged to boat a fare amount of fish but no hawgs like the day before. There was a slight difference between the days, but I’ll let you figure that out.

We found a pile of these bad boys too.

basspack
    PdC, WI.

Fished pool 10 on Saturday and Sunday morning. Had pretty good luck on Saturday catching 4 keepers in about 3 hours with lots of short fish. Current was the key. Sunday tried some other areas and fish the slop pretty hard and landed no keepers in about 4 hours of fishing. The slop bite was non-existent. Can’t say I was very happy with either day.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

R.G.–you’re always so deep…I love it. I don’t think there is anything wrong w/watching somebody fish. It would probably be kind of annoying having somebody watch your every move, but what do you do? Did you show them the how to do the bathroom break? As for conversation, a few questions aren’t bad, but if it gets to the point where it bothers you, then yes, there probably is a line that has been crossed. A fine line it is, but as fisherman, they should respect the fact you’re out their doing your own thing..come up, say hi…question or two, then roll out. People should remember common courtesy.

benotto1
    Onalaska, WI

Hi ReelGuy, This is Ben the guy who you met at the wing dam last weekend. I agree with you about those guys that were prefishing for that tournament this weekend. I had one guy go as far to ask me what I was using to catch fish and if I had any particular spots that I had for him. I think that crossed the line. I found my spots by just spending time on the water, and I think he should do the same. However, I did tell him that if he finds places with some flow he is going to fing the fish.
    I did very well off our spot on Sat. but Sunday was a different story. I went back to it about noon and did not even get a bite. However, I did catch a 4lb smally off a wing dam. I have started to catch some nice smallies of wing dams in pool 7. Have you heard if anyone is cathing anything on pool 8. When you go into blue pond, how far back can you go on plane. The weeds in there are just rediculous. Thanks again for informing me to this website. It is great and I am going to take advantage of it. Thanks again, bassboy.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Welcome aboard… and none too soon – check the website change.

Blue Pond is FLAT THICK with weeds… if you know the run (ie. know where to run abouta month ago…) you can still make it all teh way back into 3rd lake… some open water back in there, but most is chaulk full with weeds. The open water is GREAT fishing. “Split the Sticks” and that is how you get over the first hump of “absolute-no-getting-through-me-weeds”. Those who’ve been back there know exactly what sticks I am talking about.

Good to here that wingdams are starting to produce… congrats on the 4+ lber… beauty. Now, keep that spot we fished on the QT!!!!

RG

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

It’s hard to split the sticks when there is a bass boat fishing those sticks. That’s what happened when I took Jc back there a few months ago. We came around the corner and there sits a bassboat right in the middle. I darned near soiled my britches. Then to boot, the guys shoots us a dirty look as we try to navigate that stretch idling. Guys like that should go play cars on the highway. Of all the places to try and catch a bass.

I’m surprised you can get a boat back into 3rd lake. I’m sure I could do it with the flat but anything else might be hard to do.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

You can for SURE make it to Round… Haven’t tried 3rd, but one might want to try soon… or at least those fishing for Crappie… here it will be getting HOT back in there…

Speaking of panfisherman… I love them, but they hate us (Bass guys with big boats and motors)… same thing happend to me at the sticks… BUT, if you DON’T stay on plane, you can forget about getting through there… so, I stayed on plane… I think they hate me!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.