Extreme heat and river bassin

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Last year we had a big discussion on cold fronts and it was pretty interesting. With it being Texas hot this weekend and Africa hot the next couple of days, I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on how the extreme warmth effects the bassin on the river, aside from the obvious of making it pretty uncomfortable for the angler!!

bucketmouth1

I was glad to see the heat. I was out Saturday and Sunday and caught a lot of nice bass both days. Largemouth and Smallies. My fishing improved 100% this weekend compared to the rest of the summer.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Bucketmouth,
    Would you be so kind to share with those of us struggling what seemed to work for you?
    Thanks a bunch

bucketmouth1

I found the fish I caught this weekend on cut banks with some wood and current for the largemouth. The smallies I found on rip rap banks. I caught em on buzzbaits early and tubes and worms later on. Haywood don’t feel like the lone stranger when it comes to struggling. I have struggled all summer. This last weekend I went out on pool 8 and just went and fished some new water that I haven’t fished before. I think I was relying to heavily on old spots that used to produce nice fish but do to some unknown reason(s) aren’t producing this year. One spot I caught 6 keepers off from this weekend was what I thought was just a tree leaning over the water, but I was catching most of my fish out from the tree. Until my boy got hung up on something. Turns out that they aren’t relating to the tree I thought they were but to one underwater that I didn’t know was there. I hope this helps somewhat. I was about ready to give up fishing. That is how bad my summer has been.

shorefisherman
    Prescott, WI

i have to say that i have seen the bass fishing become better, while other fish are becoming less active because of the heat. i have deffinatly caught more smallmouths and less walleyes throught this heat wave.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Thanks Bucketmouth,
    I have not considered giving up but I had been on quite the cold streak for a bit. You are right about trying new stuff. I always seem to be time limited and want to go to where I know,(or at least have known to be good), spots to get on fish fast. This has not been overly succesful for me. I need to continue to look for new water and tru to understand patterns etc. Teaching the old dog new tricks type of deal I guess. Man that can be really hard though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.