Chronarch Reels.

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Have any of you has issues with the drag systems on your chronarch reels. I have a couple and they both slip almost to free spool when I give them a good rip or put a little extra on the hookset.
    jc

riverfan
    MN

JC

Maybe it’s cuz you’re such a brute.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Funny John,
    Actually I think the washers are worn out from all those big smallies I hook. -grin-
    It is the oddest thing. I guess I will just replace the drag washers and see if that fixes things.
    jc

flatoutally
    MN

I would call Shimano customer support. They’re pretty good about standing behind their stuff. 877-577-0600

fenderman
    Aurora IL

I have used Chronarchs and Calcutta’s for years…both use the same antireverse bearing. When it starts to go bad, they will occasionally slip on a hookset, sometimes producing a backlash… perhaps this is what you are experiencing. I have caught hundreds of big bass from Door County smallies to El Salto’s bruiser largemouth, and never had a drag system fail…. I think the Chronarch is the best reel ever made by the way.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
    I changed the drag washers and I am still having this problem… This part you are talking about sits inside the spool right? I suspected this however I was told by Bobs reel service that it was impossible… Guess he was wrong.
    jc

fenderman
    Aurora IL

The bearing is visible when you pull the handle, drag/bushings off, but you need to get at it from the inside. When you have done it a few times, 10-15 minutes is all it takes. Shimano is real good about sending parts when you need them. Cecelia Acuna is a great contact (949)470-4196 for parts and help. They will also provide you with a small vial of grease if you ask for it … a little dab of that on your drag washers makes for a real smooth system. A few symptoms of anti reverse bearing failure include, freespooling on a hookset, screeching on the cast, and occasionaly, you might be lifting a bait out of the water and it slips back a few inches before it catches again. You can check it by pulling on your line in front of the reel in crisp jerks, if it is bad, it will give up line and the handle will spin backwards…

Hope this helps…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.