Dead Fish!!!

• jrotering
    Trempealeau, WI

I made my first bass outing this year to pool 5 in the turn-around near the power plant… Only to find approx. 700-1000 dead fish washed up in the weeds along the northeast shore. The majority of the dead fish were rough fish. But the there was atleast 100-200 (a low estimate) Bass mixed in with them. I’m not sure what caused these fish to die off, but it is very frustrating to see something like this happen.

I have seen this about 5 years ago in the same area but back then it was just a large shad die off. Does anyone have any clues to what could have caused this???

roscoe
    So St Paul

could be the same thing that happened up at the monticello power plant, the warm water discharge was shut of and the rapid drop in temperature caused a massive fish kill…. just a guess

kris_brantner
    My river

i heard about that about 2 weeks ago. i guess the dnr is looking into it…

duckilr
    Mississippi River

I hope just as big of a deal gets made about this as the “stren” deal. I hate seeing dead fish…especially bass!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I think all of us hate seeing bass die. I hope they find the real reason why they died…

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

If you were in the backwaters back there, I am pretty sure they don’t discharge at all back in there. It all comes out on the main channel where they tie up barges. So I doubt it was a water temp thing

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Exactly, and this time they can’t blame this on tournies!! unless Dave Genz and the ice team gang recently held an ice tourney on pool 5???

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

By the way, I saw something similar down here on pool 8, from shore. Of course there were just tons of dead shad, you couldn’t cast a jerkbait without snagging one and trust me, they smelled horrible. Among the shad though were some sheephead, and 2 dead bass within 5 feet of each other. Not a pretty sight. 1 was probably pushing 16″ too

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Some of this is winter kill I am sure. Shad is a normal site as well as a few rough and game fish.
    The deal with the large number of bass doesn’t sound like a typical winter kill though

jrotering
    Trempealeau, WI

I have heard from a reliable source that was out there a week earlier and estimated the kill to be around 4,000.

50% Blue gill, 25% bass and 25% rough fish.

teamcrappie
    Palo,IA

DNR=LMBV=Dead Bass=Decaying=Other dead fish?!?!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

DNR=LMBV=Dead Bass=Decaying=Other dead fish?!?!

What?

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

doesn’t lmbv only affect largies???? ike

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I hope they find the real reason why they died…

Don’t worry folks. I’ll find the real killers.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I hope they find the real reason why they died…

Don’t worry folks. I’ll find the real killers.

If the glove don’t fit, you must acquit!- I think we all know who the real killer is in this mess, Common Guys OJ did it.

Thats nature, live with it

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have noticed a lot of small bluegill that don’t make it every year, but I can’t every remember seeing bass in larger quantities like that.

djmr
    Holmen, WI

Lack of O2 in the H20.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.