Shakey Head Hook and Worms???

• davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

What would be the best advice you finesse guys could give to those of us who do nothing but power fish?

I honestly have never caught a fish on a shakey head in a tournament but think I’d be missing the bus if I don’t get this thing figured out.

I know some of you out there are pretty good at this and I was just wondering what your thoughts were as to what shakey head hook and worm you prefer.

The only shakey head hooks I own are a few of the Bass Pro Shops round-heads with the corkscrew. I actually used them to rig a small craw on, but I think they are intended for shakey worms.

The worms I have so far are the Zoom Meatheads, and a few Robo Worms.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Dave, i have some great info on shakey heads that i can share with you. How would april 2nd be to get together?

LOL- jk- i think those ones you have with the springs will be fine, and in the river i have found smallie beavers, paca craws and zoom speed craws all work pretty well. I havent used many of the finesse worms on them as i lack confidence in the ability of the fish to find it although im sure they can. I use the Ikey heads because i like tungsten and i have using the spring since it takes too long to rig up. I use the one that is round head with a 60 degree- cant remember what they call it exactly.

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

I had a chance to try out the new Venom Shakee heads this last week at the Bassmaster Central Open. I really liked them. They held the worm in place better than any other hook I have tried. They also offer larger hook sizes. You can find them at Venom Lures. You might also look at Spot Removers. They are made by Buckeye Lures I believe. They are a great standup jig head. Chompers also have a rock hopper jighead as well as a standup jig head. They all work well. If you have any questions let me know.

Jason

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Dave. I will bring you some jigs I make to Dubuque.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Dave,
    I have just begun to experiment with shakey heads as well. Although I have not got a chance to use them on the water yet, I have really taking a liking to the Gambler Giggy head. What I really like about this head, is that you can get them with a 5/0 hook in them. This allows you to use a bigger plastic than on other jigs. Here is a link to their site, http://www.gambler-lures.com/giggyheads.html

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I bought a Shakey Head mold. I use 3/0 for 1/8. 4/0 for 3/16 and 1/4.

uppermiss rat316
    Elk River MN

I use these

I also have a similar standup head coming, can pour up to 5/0 hooks in the standup head.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I just bought Bagley hooks, they seem alright…what do you guys use as far as baits?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Reaction Innovations Screwed Up head

Reaction innovations flirt

Riverside Finesse worm

benotto
    Shawano, WI

Cade, completely agree with you on worms and jig for summertime bass. In the spring, I absolutly love the Spot Remover because of its stand-up capabilities. Take that jig with a small craw and springtime bass and hold on

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Zoom finesse worms, BB Cricket’s is what I am thinking I will be trying on my jigs.

Happy Birthday Alex

sapguru90
    Germantown, WI

I really like the Reaction Innovations Screwed Up Jighead – it’s a little spendy though. The Giggy Head was recommended to me by Jim Tutt when I fished with him at Ft. Madison and also by another pro I fished with at Bull Shoals earlier this year. I recently picked up some Giggy Heads but haven’t used them yet.

As for worms, I really like the Reaction Innovations Flirt. I see Berkely has some new Shakey Head Worms out in their Gulp and Power Bait Series. I think any 4 or 5 inch finesse worm will work though.

illinois

I have begun experimenting with shakey heads on the river. I use a 3/16 bite me jig head sold at bass pro. This jig has a stout hook and an over sized keeper designed so the angler can adjust its size to the plastic they perfer. For worms so far I use the zoom finesse worm and this year I will try trick worms. Alot of pros maybe using trick worms because you can adjust them to the size you wish. I have yet to catch a keeper but ai have smoked the dinks on this rig. I done a little on the water experiement. I was using a Beaver and catching alot of fish that day. so I alternated between the 2 on this one spot and the shakey caught all but one of the 20 fish. They were dinks. and it worked again the same way in another spot.

I think the shakey will become a big wepon for me in the future I just need to fine tune it to where I got confidence in when and where to throw it.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Dan, I really appreciate you coming out with different styles of jigs. I appologize if I didn’t see these on your website, but if I’m not mistaken, these are a new item? if so, Thats great. I would love to have some brovarney shakey heads!

I bought these at gander today and just wanted to show a different version of the shakey head for everyone to see. They are 3.99/6 ct. so not as pricy as reaction innovations. I like the fact that they don’t have a screw as well. I have found that the screws can actually break off the jig head if they are bent around too much. This idea is interesting and I’m looking forward to testing it out on the water hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates

Bagley Shakey head:
    As you can see, The worm just slides over the stopper and it is rigged just like a shakey head. The head is also a stand up style. It gives it a little different look but I like it! They also had good colors like black with blue fleck on the heads

brovarney

They are not on the site yet. I had a nice talk with Larry Nixon at the Madison sports show and he mentioned that there were a lot of boys down south that were using them…….so I did a little research as to where to get the screws. The hitch hiker is one is a little big for my tastes. The one that I like is stainless so it’s a little thinner stronger wire. I post when I get it up on the site.

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Cade, I agree with you on the screw. The Venom Shakee Heads I use are very similar to the ones you like. The worm slides up over the stopper and is held in place very well. I have found the the screw tears up the worm when you catch fish. Unless I get snagged I can fish all day on one or two worms. I also like the flat eyelet and the angle.

Jason

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.