Champion VS Gambler

• pitbull
    Too far from the river

If you had to choose between these two boats to fish out of on the mississippi river what would be your choice?????

Me personaly would have to go with the Champion but with out the ficht johnson motor

I know the Champions fish great and handle rough water great but I heard the gamblers ride terrible but are fast as all heck but tip like a canoe especialy when you try to do ur business off the front of the boat but I can’t attest to that since i’ve never riddin in a gambler!

Kinda funny but i’ve seen this one gambler being towed in a few times and have yet to see a champion towed in..also i heard those gamblers with the 250’s have a tendacie to lose a lower unit or two

Here is a little gambler riddle i heard…..

Why would they name a boat “gambler” because it’s a gamble whether you or the fish will be alive at the weigh inn !!!!!!

What would be you boat of choice???? Lunds don’t count

BASSTRACKER1
    Iowa

I HAVE HAD BOTH A CHAMPION AND A GAMBLER AND MY CHOICE IS TRITON OR RANGER! RANGER GREAT RIDE AND RESALE! TRITON GOOD RIDE AND FAST! BUT WHAT FITS ONE GUY MAYNOT FIT ANOTHER!

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Ok stop the presses..ok the price of a ranger is at least 35,000 + and a couple years later you can only get 20,000 which is pushing it you can’t call that a good resale i think you can say no bass boat is a good re-sale lol!!

I’ve heard those new charger bass boats are some fast boats!!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Like anything you need to find one that has a year of depreciating out of it to become a valid investment.. Oxy moron there. Anyway. I have had a ranger, my last partner fished out of a gambler. I spent many hours in a charger and a couple in a champion. The champion is a good all around boat. The gambler floats in ½ the water but can scare the heck out of you at times. The charger is a nose hooking death trap. (older models) The Triton, This is what I fish out of now. I can run 3 footers with ease and corner like its on rails. All this and I am hardly ever beat to my spot…. Except for them dang gamblers. I will say that in my opinion the best all around boat is the Triton. Gambler if you are young at heart and your partner doesn’t mind setting on the bow when the livewells are full, and followed by a Champion. You will be happy with any of these I suspect.
    Jc

BIGDADDY280

Well you were right! Your lucky my schedule is full or I’d be Driving my KENNY ROGERS right up you know where!! Triton and Champion are right up there for all around “boatability”. When I grow up I will probably have to purchase on of the good ones. The new Chargers 496 296 are just flat out screemers. Seems as though the boy’s down in Richland finally hit one out of the park. Little know fact 496 rated for a 250. Wait a minute while I call and place my order…………………Done. See you and the Fiche powered scow on Sat.

BIGDADDY280

Basstracker, Love your formula wish all could plug into it.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

To me there is no contest here. I have owned a champ for just a couple months now and there is no boat like it. It is just a 19 footer but RIDES better than any boat on the market. How do I feel about other boats? Ranger – is for sell outs and people who feel like wasting money on a sparkle covered flat bottom. Triton – Likewise accept they do ride a little better. Gambler – If you have to go that damn fast you must be over compensating for somthing, um er.. not you jedsall I know you only bought the stroker cause its the only boat company that would actually make you a solid purple boat, I understand that! Startos- they fish pretty nice but will knock your molars loose if you get in rough water. I cant say anything about a charger cause ive never rode in one. All in all, CHAMPION. Fast, Drive it like a car and oh yeah, ride ride ride. If you dont want to take it from me go to http://www.bassboatcentral.com and go to the owners boards and ask them! You wont believe all the champion owners who have owned other boats prior to a champ and swear that they will never own another brand!

JHall

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Hhhmm, Tell ya what, the next time the rollers are coming over the lock on pool 8 I will race you anywhere you like, followed by a second race through cuts with hair pin turns, and finally I will have a push pole race in 8 inches of water and see how you fair.

Actually opinions run deep and John Boats are a much better investment than any mentioned as of yet. I like my Triton and there is nothing you can say to change my mind. I am sure the feeling is reciprocal.
    Jc

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That Triton rides pretty good. I can say that even after screwing all my teeth back in after that horrific boat ride we were on a few weeks ago. The boat ride wasn’t the boats fault either. 45 mph winds tend to roll a big wave. Isn’t that right Jc?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

What kinds of boats were those taking on all that water??? Definately wasn’t that triton of mine. I will say that I was impressed with that 22 foot Nitro. Ritter was hauling balls in that water. I just hope he won enough to pay for the stress crack repairs.
    jc

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That was Harbaugh’s boat that tried to be the first submersible bass boat. I think it was a Blazer? Not too sure though. I’ll have to find out so I don’t buy one of those.

danwi
    westby wi

I have had a ton of boats.My next boat will be the same as i have now. Skeeter! eat sleep fish!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As I contemplate writing this I imagine if this was being said to this group in a face to face situation I’d be forced to duck and cover BUT, my “bass” boat is a crestliner… and I have a kicker motor… I own and use planer boards and have caught many smallies (on accident) using them…lol

I’m not sure I should even be hanging out here. Is it OK or should I just go back to catching fish with teeth?!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Your Bass boat beats mine! I run a 16ft Monarch driven by a 35hp Mariner with a tiller handle. The planer boards in my boat are attached to some long poles…..but the only thing is down here we call them oars. I’m sure if I tried REAL hard I might get the boat to plane out. They don’t catch fish very well….except for those smelly shallow running types.

On those extra special days I’ll drag out the 21ft Champion and make some mud. That big Champion is like driving one of those old school Caddies, smooth as glass.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

JC I hope you werent talking to me! Cause you are mentioning all my strong pionts. I’ll definately take you through rough waves. I will waste you through the corners and ohh that 8″ of water, who uses a push pole Ill just run it!

Champion for ever!!!

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

Wait a minute if there is going to be a race, I want to play. Bring an umbrella, rooster tail might make you wet.
    For the record, it’s purple and black.
    James I catch an occasional gravel carp when I’m bass fishing. Doesn’t make my bass boat a Walleye boat.
    Got a new job and been on the road all week. Finally figured out how to connect my laptop to this dsl line in the hotel. I normally read this forum every day but am a little late getting in on this one, but my opinion.
    If you had to pick from the two boats you listed take the Gambler. Looks cool and it’s faster. The front deck on the gamble can sub as a helicopter landing pad. Or you could just buy yourself a Stroker, Save yourself 10k from the Gambler you didn’t buy. Use it to buy tackle… You want fast don’t mess around. You want to see what fast is ask me for a ride. 3 years no stress cracks, I’ve never taken water in the boat in large enough quantity to kick the bilge on, and I’ve take on Lake Pepin when its at it’s worst. (Or at least what James would call a “Heavy” walleye chop. lol Course my friends have told me I am a little crazy , and that Im destined to die on the water, but what better place to go?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Anytime you are ready we’ll pick out a path through Goose island. I am sure the trurns in there will be a fun ride. better make it during the week so we don’t kill anyone in a john boat. Better yet, We ill race fron the top to the bottom of pickerel slough on pool 9. That should make for an interesting run. Don’t you love a good “my boat is better than your boat” discussion.
    peace out.
    jc

jig_n_pig
    Balsam Lake Wisc.

WHOA!!!! When you set the date, time and place, let me know. I would like to give you all a good ride in any water condition. I would match my Stratos 21SS Extreme up with anyone interested. I know its not as fast as the purple and black stroker, but at least when we get there, no one will be white knuckled.
    But, in answer to your question, if I had to choose between a Gambler and a Champion, I would choose a STRATOS!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Man!! the testosterone is just OOOZING in here !!!

CHAMP193
    Potosi WI

Hi all, I am fairly new to this board, actually just registered today, but I have been a quiet visitor for almost a year. I just started getting into bass fishing last year, up until that time I have been busy fishing musky. I have a lot to learn about bass fishing, especially on the river. Kind of strange that I have lived within 2-5 miles from the river all my life and up until last year have never specifically targeted bass on it. I have learned quite a bit from this board already, and look forward to learning and hopefully sharing even more. I did have the pleasure of meeting Jeremy Crawford at the Open tournament out of Prarie Du Chien back on May 18. By the way Jeremy congrats on your win, nice bag of fish you brought in that day, and you were right how many times would something like that ever happen at a tourny. Anyway as far as the Champion vs. Gambler thing. I myself do have a Champion and just love it. Do I have much else to compare it to? No, not really. I just know it handles great, gets me there and back fast and safe. I do know Birdman who visits and posts on this board often has fished with me out of it and he has had many good things to say about it. But I wouldn’t say they are the best. Rangers, Tritons, Stratos, along with others seem to be good as well. It’s mainly what your preference is and how well you learn to drive it. Kind of like the old Ford/Chevy thing, although I prefer Dodge. I hope I didn’t get to long winded here. Looking forward to more post. Tight lines all

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Dateline: Lansing. 20 Die in boat race.

You guys gotta let me know when this happens. My boat wouldn’t far too well in a race, but watching would be just too fun.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Jig and pig got it right. Stratos is the best for my money. I have a 201 and have never had a problem nor taken any over the bow. The ride is just as good or better than any other brand I have been in. The rough ride comment must have come out of a 15fter.

BASSTRACKER1
    Iowa

I FORGOT JIG AND PIGS BOAT THAT BOAT OF HIS IS FAST WITH A GREAT RIDE! AND IS RIGHT ON THE TOP OF MY LIST ASWELL! GO JIGGY

flatoutally
    MN

Count me and my overpowered toothpick (Allison) in!!!! Now I can hear yall going off and saying that an Allison won’t take rough water. Yall just keep thinking that. It gives us an unfair advantage. Right, Jedsall?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Did somebody say Mopar?????
    Just kidding, Did anyone notice my last name was crawFORD. and for good reason I might add.

Thanks Champ for the kind words, The tournament was a joy and this one was especially special since I actually got my father out to fish. These are few and far between so I treasure this experience.
    jc

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

IF the race goes on, there HAS to be a push pole portion.

I would pay to watch 10 guys push pole their boats over 200 yards of shallow muck field!!! Now THAT would show who the real men are.

I guess this weekend I’ll just pull my sell-out sparkly glorifed flatbottom to the river with my F***ed Over Rebuilt Dodge pickup to somewhere on the river and find out if my Jap-Made shimano Crap can pull in any fish.

PS. Just for clarification, how is someone a sell out for buying a Ranger, and not for buying a Champ, when both are owned by the same company????? And who exactly are we selling out to?

flatoutally
    MN

Quote:

Just for clarification, how is someone a sell out for buying a Ranger, and not for buying a Champ, when both are owned by the same company????? And who exactly are we selling out to?

Touche’, MossBoss!!!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I’m definately in on the race! Like I said before, I will run 200 yards of muck, thats why we have insurance, right boys! (This does not pertain to ranger owners who bought their boat because they belive that ranger is in fact the best boat to suit their needs. But for the guys who comprimised and bought a ranger cause of the ranger cup bull**it, and the kickbacks they recieve for everstart victories and whatnot, they are the sell outs. Because with those guys, it becomes a money issue and as much as I love bassfishing I would never take that chance of getting a few extra bucks here and there over feeling good and confident about what im fishing out of.

Genmar does not run 3 high end bassboat companies either. They dont want to have stratos and champion be too sucessful as to take business away from Ranger. So even though they are owned by the same corporation, the boat companies are run differently and its typical big business BULL**IT!

How about everyone meets after the redman on th21st and we’ll run the hell out of them!

Later, JHall

flick
    Alma WI

If we are having a big discussion on boats…lets discuss what everyone runs for a motor! I personally like the new Evinrude….i havent heard anything bad about them yet!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I have an 03′ 200HO on the back of my champ and let me tell you, these are one hell of a motor. Unbelivable torque, great on fuel and oil, and NO smoke! Awesome motor. I think the merc EFI’s are quite a bit lighter though- weighing in at about 370? Please correct me if im wrong, but the ficht HO weighs in at 517, quite a difference especially when your trying to squeze that extra speed out of em. Great motor though. Everyone I know who has one seemes to be just as happy as me.

JHall

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.