Spawning

• benotto
    Shawano, WI

I was wondering which spawn first the largemouth or the smallmouth? My experiences have me to believe that the largies spawn first. My fishing buddy and I are at the two opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to this topic, so any advice or knowledge you guys have would be great.

Ben

benotto
    Shawano, WI

I forgot to mention why I believe this: I have caught largies on lakes in mid to late April that were on beds. I have also caught a few during memorial weekend, but a lot of the beds are empty, where as you go across the lake and the smallies are spawning and almost every bed has a fish on it.

For example, a lot of the fish caught during the Frigid and Not So Frigid Open are caught in shallow water areas where they spawn. Those tournaments are the second and third weekend in April. I know it all depends on the year, but is there a general rule?

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

In most cases smallies spawn before largemouth. Generally, smallies begin to spawn around 55-60 degrees. Largemouth spawn in the mid 60’s. With that said not all fish will begin to spawn at the same time. Some move up earlier than others. Smallies also spawn much deeper than largemouth. Depending on the reservoir and water clarity they may spawn as deep as 12 feet while largemouth spawn much shallower, often in water only a couple feet deep. In some cases largemouth may spawn 1st or around the same time since the shallow water warms much quicker than the deeper water, but the deep water won’t fluctuate as much with the weather or lake levels. From my experience in the lakes in my region the smallies are usually done spawning and off the beds before the largemouth begin to move up. I have done some research on the seasonal movements of bass. Feel free to check it out in the tips section of my website

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

When the water gets to around 50 to 55 degrees the smallmouths start. Around 60 degrees the largemouth will start. I could be a little off on the temps but the smallies will be first.

fluker

I can tell you that back in Missouri, the LM’s and SM’s usually spawned around the same time. 55ish to low 60’s. The bigger fish would spawn first on the full/new moon closest to the lower end of the temps. The Spots and Meanies were usually the last to spawn. I agree with the above mentioned that the SM’s spawned deeper.

Not this is based on my experience with deeper, clear resevoirs, so I can’t say how that holds true to up here.

wilson1
    s.e. wisconsin

ottobass, first great question. But it all depends on what lake. If you have small and largemouths togeather, in the same lake the largemouths will spawn first. But if you are comparing largemouths on a shallow dark bottomed lake like puckaway to say a deep clear lake like green lake which are only miles apart the largemouths will spawn first. that being said I agree with the other posts that bass do spawn when the water hits 55-60 degrees, but some will spawn earlier, and some will spawn later. I have heard of people catching fish off of beds on lake geneva in july. And those were small mouths.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I have heard of people catching fish off of beds on lake geneva in july. And those were small mouths.

It’s not uncommon to find SM on beds in late june on Minnetonka either.

bass423
    Oregon, WI

Typically, based on a large amount of fishery research, SM (50-55) will spawn before LM (60-65). However, many other variables can occur such as SM spawning in deeper water in many lakes and LM being in the shallower water before them or at about the same time due to differences in water temperatures at the bedding site. Spawning is temperature dependent not date dependent so LM could be on beds before SM if conditions are right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.