Gerald Swindle DQ’ed

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Here is the difference though, generaly in “our” world, if you are found breaking the rules and you are asked to never return.

Tell me this was a gross exagerration If a person breaks ANY rule, you are asked to leave and NEVER return?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Absolutely not Mike! Not an exageration at all!

A pal of mine and his brother on a tourney experienced this a few years back. Long story, some here know it……

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

bigEfish (Eric Musgrave) —

Quote:

Guys dnort did the same thing to me on pool 5 near alma in his banana boat…all I could say was what the heck… and explain to my son that’s not what you do..no matter how much time you have till the weigh-in!!

Eric- I’d appriciate it if you got your facts straight before you go dropping names here on IDA (or anywhere else for that matter). I have never in my life been on Pool 5! The funny part is I just got my yellow Blazer last year and have yet to take it above pool 8. You think I have the only yellow boat out there?

If I do blow by dudes it is with their consent (they wave me by). I pretty much always wave guys past when I’m fishing in a narrow spot. I’d rather have them blow by me than fast idle.

Maybe now you can explain to your son that every yellow boat in the state is not D-Nort…

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Looks like a bad judgment call. I hope he’ll learn from this.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Quote:

my bad if it wasn’t Swindle doing the defensive fishing …..thought he was part of it.

Yeah, that was Dudley, not Swindle.

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

I don’t know about Alabama but in the Wisconsin that was a violation of boating regulations. I would think it would be there to. Assuming that he broke the law and tournament rules. Dq’ed was the very least he should have had. A boat is like a firearm or any other vehicle for that matter, as soon as you don’t respect it it kills someone.

Some have said that these pros have the skills to handle these boats and they are in them essentially everyday, even more reason that he should have known better.

trapperdirk
    Burk's Falls,Ont, Canada

The guy’s a complete clown .I fished my share of tournaments and even a couple of classics and hope this dude never gets on any circuit I’m on .

This kind of behaviour is the same thing that gets people hauled out of cars and beat on . He would be dq’ed on circuits I’ve fished and may even be removed from competing for good . He’s a dangerous clown thats going to get somebody killed if he continues in this manner .

A heavy lure thrown across his bow might wake him up especially if he runs a gauntlet of them .

TD

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The one thing I noticed with this was when Swindle was talking to Howell, about being DQ’d. It almost appeared that Howell couldn’t care less about him being DQ’d and wasn’t going to give an opinion either way.

Howell kinda had the look of: “yea, so what?….don’t come whinning to me about you getting DQ’d. Leave me alone.”

Dropshot
    Bristol, WI.

I want to like Swindle but he makes it hard. The thing that gets me is he never admitted he was wrong. All he said is that he made a poor decision. That crap about how in his world as a professional they drive fast was stupid. Just admit you broke the rule apologize for being stupid and take your punishment. I hate when people who screw up try to act like the victim. As the sport of fishing grows and gets more mainstream anglers are going to be held to higher standards. And when you think about it he maybe saved two minutes by not idling through! Don’t think that was worth it.

2Fishy4U

Hey, I am your average Joe angler so thanks for the low blow. However, I have been fishing the Mississippi before you were born and when another angler is close by, I slow down. And I do have the skills and ability to handle a boat being in ski clubs in my younger days, owning two nice hydroplanes, including an original 1969 GW Invader, bought from a guy in Hagar City, etc.

Unlike Nascar, these guys need to show some respect for their other tournament pros, and the general public. As for Nascar, it is obviously all pros, a hugh difference.

Best for me to shut up and move on. I could say so much more but IDA would probably delete the darn post.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

It was a poor decision, but oh well, noone got hurt. I would be irate if that was me, though. I had an idiot last year during a team supreme, come flying down one of the cuts i was fishing, and he never slowed down and went full tilt through the weeds i was fishing. I was mad at the time but oh well, I think we beat him in the tournament so who cares.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

How is telling thousands of people on stage that he made bad judgment at the time not admitting he was wrong?

You can catch a lot of fish in two minutes. Not saying that he was okay for doing that, but I’m just trying to look at it from a Classic angler’s point of view.

jld
    Holmen

Bass fisherman have rules???

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

How is telling thousands of people on stage that he made bad judgment at the time not admitting he was wrong?

This is from his hometown paper:

Swindle broke down in tears before a BJCC Arena weigh-in crowd of 10,000 after he tried to explain his disqualification.

“BASS thought it was a bad call,” Swindle said as he began to stammer, “I didn’t.”

At that point, Swindle broke down and couldn’t continue. He left the stage and retreated to a BJCC hallway where he continued to cry.

Swindle estimated his speed at 60 mph but estimated the difference between his boat and the closest boat to him was 25 yards.

brovarney

Prior to ESPN the mater would have been delt with in private.

In an attempt to create some drama in a sport in which they don’t understand they need to create or look for vilans.

Maybe next year rule infractions will get dealt with by live whippings. Boy would that boast ratings.

We get to watch as our sport gets a black eye from producers that haven’t got a clue.

I miss the time before drama and meyhem where even though we had to wait a few weeks to get the Classic on the tube….when it got there it was about fishing, and decision making and sometimes …….winning.

Dropshot
    Bristol, WI.

Just my perception but listening to him talk to Randy Howell and the couple other explanations he gave, it just came across like he was mad at the ruling and did not agree with it. I mean come on he was about three feet away from a boat with another angler and camera man! I am a boater and maybe it is just me but I wouldn’t even think of trying something like that. Not that I would feel unsafe but just seemed unnecesary. I know you can catch alot of fish in two minutes but I guess my point was is two minutes more fishing worth risking getting DQ’ed? I don’t think so. I thought his crying was more like whinning, poor me, not upset that he let people down. Just my impression.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

It’s funny to watch the perch jerkers jump all over this and bash G-man

G did what most tourney fisherman do to tourney other tourney fisherman….had it been a perch jerker bouncing a 3way in a V-boat he woulda idled by

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

It’s funny to watch the perch jerkers jump all over this and bash G-man

G did what most tourney fisherman do to tourney other tourney fisherman….had it been a perch jerker bouncing a 3way in a V-boat he woulda idled by

Just remember who was sobbing uncontrollably on stage

As for jerkin perch, only if I could use them for bait

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Although I am not saying what he did was right…wasn’t the boat he blew by a camera boat and not actually fishing? Weren’t the other spectators boats sitting in what I would assume to be the main channel?

If I were a spectator boat, I would stay out of the main channel so that other boats could pass by.

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

One more thing to add…I watched this with a buddy that was experiencing tournament fishing for the first time and after they showed the clip the first time, (with many more times to follow) my buddy asked if that is how all tournament fisherman drove their boat.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

my buddy asked if that is how all tournament fisherman drove their boat.

According to Pitbull apparently so

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Sometimes when I’m in a tournament, i will acctually go up to a “perch jerker” face the bow away from them, trim up my motor and rev it and spray them, just to keep the stereotype of a bass fisherman….ONLY KIDDING!

We sure do get a bad rap don’t we?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Sometimes when I’m in a tournament, i will acctually go up to a “perch jerker” face the bow away from them, trim up my motor and rev it and spray them, just to keep the stereotype of a bass fisherman….ONLY KIDDING!

I know this is a serious topic, but that about made me fall out of my chair laughing my off. I realize it was a joke, but still very funny. I can actually picture the whole thing in my mind. Could you imagone the look on someone’s face if someone were to actually do that

fragile1

Just gettin in here late because of work. Just want to say I live on Lay Lake where the BMC was held and was really pulling for GMan but he really messed this one up. It is also my opinion that he is really not owning up to the mistake well enough. Nothing is worth endangering other people and that is exactly what happened with this type of boat driving. No matter if you’re water skiing, canoeing or whatever, this was about as reckless as it gets. The G”Man” should be ashamed. Since the classic was on my home lake, I really built up to some coworkers who aren’t fisherman to watch the coverage and they all were suprised that this type of dangerous boat driving didn’t get more of a penalty of some sort.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Did anyone notice during ESPN’s 1000th airing of the Swindle clip how the cameraman took nice, steady footage and Randy Howell didn’t even flinch (let alone dive out of his boat for safety)?

Welcome Bas N One.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Anyone remember the 2002 Classic? This was the exact same area Jay Yelas was fishing and had a big pleasure boat buzz a big wake right by him. Yelas wasn’t pleased, but it must be a fairly narrow channel to navigate?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Quote:

I know this is a serious topic, but that about made me fall out of my chair laughing my off. I realize it was a joke, but still very funny. I can actually picture the whole thing in my mind. Could you imagone the look on someone’s face if someone were to actually do that

Been there/done that…..
    And I think somebody here did that to their wife, in a joking manner, trying to “tease her”, but just doused her with water by using a “little too much throttle”???

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Anyone remember the 2002 Classic? This was the exact same area Jay Yelas was fishing and had a big pleasure boat buzz a big wake right by him. Yelas wasn’t pleased, but it must be a fairly narrow channel to navigate?

Anchor man, this happens everyday, if not every hour on Lake Minnetonka and St. Croix river. Especially on the weekends. What a person does is call the sherrif with the boat numbers.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Prior to ESPN the mater would have been delt with in private.

In an attempt to create some drama in a sport in which they don’t understand they need to create or look for vilans.

Maybe next year rule infractions will get dealt with by live whippings. Boy would that boast ratings.

We get to watch as our sport gets a black eye from producers that haven’t got a clue.

I miss the time before drama and meyhem where even though we had to wait a few weeks to get the Classic on the tube….when it got there it was about fishing, and decision making and sometimes …….winning.

I guess I don’t remember prior to ESPN completely, but I do agree with you. The producers think they have to have a little “Real World” in every television program anymore. Pretty sickening really!

BomberA

I just read 50+ posts of this and my eyes hurt. My favorite part was the dude that called out DNort on a body of water he wasn’t even on. I hope everybody who is judging Swindle on here has never passed someone on the highway going 56 mph. I probably do the same thing and probably will in the future. I mean it really doesn’t matter does it? If I was 100 yards away from someone, killed the motor, put down my trolling motor and passed them at 10% trolling power, they would still tell me to slow down if I’m in a bass boat. I just treat other fishermen like another girlfriend; in one ear and out the other.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.