Since You Guys Brought Up Swimming Jigs…

• davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Do you guys rig your grub with the tail UP or tail DOWN?

I have always rigged mine with the tail down, but I know some big guns who rig them tail UP.

When rigging the tail DOWN I can run the jig a tad slower and still keep it high in the column if that’s the presentation I’m looking for. One drawback when rigging tail down, the grub has to be perfectly aligned so it runs straight.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve always run plastic trailers with the trails down. I think it’s less prone to foul the hook. And the rest of the lure isn’t in the way blocking the flow of water which might kill the action of the tail. I admit I haven’t done a side-by-side comparison the see if this is true or not.

Man, I’ve got the fever really bad. Warm humid calm mornings, big Bass….it’s been a long winter so far and it looks like this weekend we get more of it

Rootski

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I fish mine tail down. I actually have tried it tail up before and I really did not like the way it swam and it just looked funny in the water. I actually think it was one of Jimmy Johnson’s posts or articles that convinced me to fish ’em tail up when I was a noob in the swim jig world. It stuck I have also heard to swim jigs without a trailer whenever possible, and I can see where that would make sense but I tried that and boy was it a bad situation Just couldn’t get ’em to take the bait

brovarney

I’m also a tail down kind of guy.

But my goal for this year is to play with other trailers. Big twin tails are a logical start. But I got a picture from a guy in texas wanting a color match that had on a toad. I also got some color match samples from alabama that had paka craws and chuncks. I think the key will be figuring out how the trailers come through the cover.

I’ll let you know how the tests go.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Pretty much tail down. I’ve found that it works and haven’t really experimented too much. I’m going to try messing around with different trailers this year too. Especially the bigger sized grubs in late summer!

zombywuff
    Illinois

Tail down over here too. Looks like I’ll have all kinds of time to experiment with trailers in the local rivers and streams.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I have run them both ways. Tail up seems to get caught in the hook more and I think the grub does not swim as good as with the grub down.IMO

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

does it seem to make a difference for anyone as to type of trailer/tail position when chasing smallies vs LMB?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

If you do not have the trailer straight, the jig will roll

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

I Have never run the tail straight up. If you fish a good balanced jig, the jig will not roll when it is rigged tail down like it is supposed to be.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I always had great luck using a 3-5″ double tail grub. The bass preferred them much more some days than others, but they worked.

bassinfever
    Wausau, WI

One use of a tail-up grub on a jig is if you swim it right on the bottom or swimming across lay downs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.