Mississippi River Bass

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

I’m a bit of a river novice and tend to stick around shallow cover for largies and smallies on the river, but I am curious to what the max depth is a guy could expect to find both largemouth and smallies on the river in the middle of summer. Granted, I know there are going to be a lot of variables that will come into play, but I’m just looking for a general idea of what to expect for deep water fishing out there.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The biggest LM Bass I’ve ever caught came out of 18ft of water on Pool 7 fishing for Walleyes. I caught 5 that day in that one spot. The smallest 18.75″…..the biggest(to this date) 22″.

There were 4 people out there that day, none of them had a camera.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

deepest i’ve ever gone is around the 20-25ft range

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

deepest i’ve ever gone is around the 20-25ft range

You don’t have to go that deep for those 14″ers….

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I have to be the one-upper dont I? Once I was catching suspended spotted bass on pool 6 in about 70′ but they were sitting at 30′

All kidding aside, 12-14 foot would be the deepest I ever go in the summer.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

You don’t have to go that deep for those 14″ers

When you are me you do

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

When you are me you do

It that english??

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

FYI – that is a grammatically correct sentence

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

When U R me U do.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i’m with the rest. I have a few spots that tip over 25 ft, but those are more my fall spots. However I have seen some hogs come out of them in the summertime as well on plastics

bassboy57

Quote:

Quote:

When you are me you do

It that english??

i do not know if that is english

champman
    la crosse

i think the biggest varible is the d/o content of the water your fishing in the summer. These fish like any fish seek the water with a d/o better than 6ppm. The hottest water we normally see here on the river is about 85 degrees over a period of time- it may spike to 90 for a couple days but usually doesn’t last. Some places with current may not have desireable d/o levels to sustain life. Some of the backwaters stratify and you’ll see a thermocline, which the fish may be just above that line- find structure at that line+bait= fish

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

That’s it…I’m done trying to combine my physics,anatomy,ecology, and algebra classes to try to figure out Jimmy’s “find structure at that line+bait= fish ” formula. I’m just going to follw him around from now on!

brovarney

Quote:

That’s it…I’m done trying to combine my physics,anatomy,ecology, and algebra classes to try to figure out Jimmy’s “find structure at that line+bait= fish ” formula. I’m just going to follw him around from now on!

You got a line on cheap lower units…….

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

You got a line on cheap lower units…….

JJ can disect water better than most, he just needs to learn how to read it…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Oh great, now I gotta carry a D/O meter in my boat when fishing the river along with all my other crap.
    thanks for all the info guys!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.