Flushing Hydraulic Steering?

• Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I need to flush out my hydraulic steering on my Skeeter this year and I am wondering if anyone here has done this before? Is it something I can do at home or do I have to bring it in?

If it’s something I can do where would a good website be to find instructions on flushing it properly?

Thanks in advance guys!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Why do you need to flush it? Routine service or did it get contaminated?

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

It is a little loose and it is also a 4 year old boat.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

The loose would be more likley a mechanical part rather than the hydralics.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Well I would like to start by flushing out the system and take it from there. Has anyone done this process before, getting the air out of the system can’t be a bad thing to do for maintenece either.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

From Latham Marine:
    ‘Full Power Hydraulic System’ Bleeding: Ensure that all hydraulic lines and fittings are securely tightened before starting the bleeding process. During the entire bleeding process, check the oil level in the steering reservoir regularly and top up when necessary. DO NOT LET RUN DRY ! Turn on the engine or engines that are fitted with a power steering pump and let run for a few minutes without touching the steering wheel. With the power steering pump(s) running, turn the steering wheel hard-over in one direction and release the wheel. With a bucket placed under one of the steering cylinders, crack the hose fitting that is closest to the piston. This is the port that is closest to the piston rod when the rod is extended and the port that is farthest from the piston rod when the rod is retracted. Allow the oil to leak out of the fitting until there is a solid stream of oil, then tighten the fitting. With the steering wheel in the same position, repeat this step for any other cylinders. Check oil level in reservoir and top if necessary.

After tightening the cylinder hose fitting(s), turn the steering wheel ‘hard-over’ to the other side then release the wheel. Repeat the bleeding process at the cylinders as described above. Check oil level in steering reservoir and top if necessary.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help I will update on any further tips I would have on doing this once I have it completed

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I have changed the oil in a Sea Star system. I’m in a hurry now, but if you’re still interested in the details shoot me a PM.

flatoutally
    MN

Unless your system has been leaking fluid, all you need to do is the re-bleed the system. Best to have a buddy help, but it’s not too tough. You will be able to see when bleeding whether or not the fluid is contaminated.

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Just go back to cable steering Connor

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I guess having a functional boat doesn’t matter when you own a Ranger!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.