KFAN/St. Jude

• riverfan
    MN

Guy s

As a member for the KFAN/St. Jude Invitational Tournament committee, we are all ecstatic about the amount of money we raised this year for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The total from the tournament was over $54,000, and entire event, which included River Run and the Fish n Chips night was just shy of $75,000. To put things in prospective we raised around $115,000 in the first four years of the tournament/event. As you see we really raised the bar this year and much of the success this year can be credited to angler participation. One of the changes we made this year was the angler who raised the most money was the first boat out on day one and so on down the line. On day two, your day one weight determined your boat position.

The results of the change are seen in the bottom line but I did hear some negative feedback from some anglers. Some felt that they were at a disadvantage because they weren’t in a business where they had lots of contact with people. How about some feedback from the guys who fished the tournament. Is this a real issue? Does it out-weigh the benefit we gained in dollars to St. Jude? Any other comments?

Riverfan

GradyH
    Lee's Summit, MO

This really seems like a silly post to me. The guys that are complaining about being at a disadvantage should remember what this BENEFIT tournament is about. The 75K that was raised for the sick children is what we were all there for that weekend. In my opinion anyone who felt disadvantaged by the way boat numbers were determined has 2 choices, either raise some money for the 2004 tournament, or take you whining someplace else.

flick
    Alma WI

I thought it was very fair. If you wanted a good boat number raise some money! But I liked it better how it was the 2nd day!

jedsall
    Dover Ohio

I thought that this was the best format that I have ever seen at a Bass tournment. The point of the tourney is to raise money for kids with CANCER. God forbid any of us ever have to go through such a thing in our own family. Me and my partner kicked in $80 of our own money and moved ourselves into the middle of the pack for takeoff. We didn’t spend time raising money as the format allows, but with very little effort, anyone could raise much more than that. Day 2 was determined by weight… Brilliant as far as I was concerned. Let the people in the run for the cash get on their way. Anyone concerened about the way this tourney was run should reflect on their values a little. Great tourney, great format, and the best cause that a benifit tourney could have. Hope we raise 2x as much next year. Hope my fish don’t abandon me like they did this year.

RT
    Twin Cities

This was my fourth year fishing the event and also my fourth serving on the committee for the tournament. I can tell you that I was just amazed at the amount of money the anglers raised. With so many people raising such a large amount of money who knows what will happen next year, all I can say is that I am excited! As for the complainers, thats just what they are – complainers. This always has been and always will be a charity tournament. I fish the tournament for two reasons – raising money and helping the hospital and having fun with the great anglers who fish it each year. I would’ve been embarresed to say that my partner (dad) and I went out boat 11 on the first day, but we were proud knowing we raised just a shade under $1,000. That should say something! If those people did not like how they went out, they have three options: Raise more money next year, quit whinning and fish, or don’t come back if your heart isn’t with the kids.
    Having personally toured the hospital, I know what it is like there and it will bring tears to your eyes seeing the smiles on the kids faces, knowing that they have life threatning illnesses. Everyone at the hospital is very upbeat and smiling. If anyone ever has any questions about the tournament, hospital, or comments about either, let RiverFan or myself know. Good Luck!

Ross

riverfan
    MN

Guy’s

Thanks, that consistent with how I feel. Just need some reassurance.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

im new to the site but i fished the k-fan and let me tell you we raised 800.00 in 3 days and it was just friends and family. our take off position was 16. it doesnt take much effort just going out to do it

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I am glad that all of you feel the way you do about the St Judes tournament. I was starting to worry that all the guys I fished with had hearts of stone. It is so humbeling to me to get in that boat in the morning and go do what I love along with helping hundreds of sick little kids, It probly hits you alot harder if you actually have young children. Anyways, Im just glad that 99.9% of the angler s feel that way. Great Job Guys!

Loomy
    Crystal, Minnesota

Hi All,
    I fished the tournament and agree with everyone on this board, it was a great event and achieved a spectacular feat in raising that much money. It’s important for us to keep that in perspective while we’re on the water. If you don’t have the resources to raise money, that’s OK. I think any effort towards it is commendable and should make you feel like a part of something special. Boat draw is rarely a factor in cashing tournament checks. If you’re on fish and you execute well, you’ll be one of the first boats out on day 2! I’ve gone out 1st in tournaments and gone out last in tournaments, I’ve also finished in both of those positions. In looking at where I have started and my ending results over the years, I can’t see any direct correlation between the two.

Great Job to everyone involved with the tournament! I applaud you for giving so much to someone unfortunate and am proud to be associated with such an incredible event.

Loomy

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

This is a wonderful event for a good cause!! I have absolutely no problem with this format. It allowed us to raise more money than ever before. And all I have to say to the organizers of this event is keep up the good work. I would also like to thank the fine citizens of Lake City Mn. They really know how to make you fell welcome in their community.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

hey guys. i would like to thank KEN SNOW. our motor went down the day befor the k-fan. we went to the meeting pretty much to just turn in our money. we love fishing this tournament and were bummed out about the boat. ive known ken for a few years and after telling him about our problem he just smiled and said well go get mine its in the garage. Ken made our weekend. THANK YOU KEN YOUR THE BEST. we should all learn from ken, he is a great sportsmen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.