Culling

• fishnut

Normally I don’t weigh my fish while I’m culling in a tournament (not on the river of course) , I normally just use a balance beam. How do you guys cull and what brand of beam do you like? thanks Fishnut

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i use a cheap bass pro shop cull beam when i am in a state that allows culling they are small and stow away easily.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I used to use my digital scale to cull but I haven’t fished a walleye tournament that allows culling in several years. Down here in Iowa nobody can cull. Not even recreational fishermen can cull. Once you put a fish in your livewell it counts towards your daily limit. You can release a fish out of your livewell but then you cannot end up keeping 6 fish at the end of the day. I did try a balance scale once but it was really difficult to get both fish on the scale at the same time so I opted to use my digital scale.

Eyehunter

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I have to say the “x-tools” culling system is the way to go and well worth the money. The only thing I don’t like are the clips that go in the fishes mouth, I actually went back to usinsg BPS clips but still use the x-tools scale.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Joe. I cut all the clips off and put the stringer style on them. Work great now.

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

so i will definitely show off my greeness with this question. But is a culling system a necessity? i have fished a few tourneys and i don’t find myself doing it that much or at least not enough to purchase 120 dollar culling system. Maybe this is one thing you need when you fish the high buck tourneys. Do the pros use these? someone needs to give me an ear ful. ike

champman
    la crosse

wf99, maybe you should have spent some pre-TAX dollars last year on a new and better system! Least you could have wrote it off, heh…..heh..heh

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

i use xtools clips but i modified them also. then I just use a regular berkeley scale to weigh them. I think some sort of culling system is a necessity, atleast it is for me, but you dont necessarily have to drop 120 bones on one.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

so i will definitely show off my greeness with this question. But is a culling system a necessity? i have fished a few tourneys and i don’t find myself doing it that much or at least not enough to purchase 120 dollar culling system. Maybe this is one thing you need when you fish the high buck tourneys. Do the pros use these? someone needs to give me an ear ful. ike

The first time you miss a check my an ounce you’ll understand. From that point forward you will always wonder if you culled the wrong fish. And I promise, it won’t matter if you lost $2000 or $20.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

wf99, maybe you should have spent some pre-TAX dollars last year on a new and better system! Least you could have wrote it off, heh…..heh..heh

thanks jim

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

nicely put chris. that summed it up completely for me. that is great to know. thanks

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

The first time you miss a check my an ounce you’ll understand. From that point forward you will always wonder if you culled the wrong fish. And I promise, it won’t matter if you lost $2000 or $20.

That’s the truth fo shizzle. There’s no comparison. Digital is the only way to go.

CMJ

I have a culmrite scale weighing system. I have had issues with the scale. I think its finally fixed after sending it in 3 times, when it works, its a thing of beauty. The scale is very sensitive so you have to make sure you push enter when the fish is not flopping around on the scale. Does anyone know of any other clips for the culling bobbers besides the ones you poke through the mouth that stay on?

fluker

I have the newer cul-m-rite tags and they are pinches. I put them on the top lip where the indention (sp?) is. They work well and I have not had any come off in the livewell. You can not lift them by the tags, but you can pull them toward you with them to get ahold of them.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Fluker,

I am actually using the same clips but with the x-tools scale. I just cant figure out how to modify them with numbers…any ideas?

Thanks

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

When Joe culled in my boat, I had to really use the power sprayer.

fluker

Joe,

I was thinking the same thing after I got your note. Thought I’d have to buy the clips w/ the scale to make the “feature” work.

My thought on making numbers for them is putting a stirofoam ball on the top and markign them with magic markers. The only problem there is the rubber rops aren’t real long and if you have a deep livewell (I do) when the fish swims down it oould pull the clip off. Those balls would cause for tangles too.

The other option is to take a black permanent marker and draw lines around the top of the rope. That would be the best bet I think. I beleive after you use it for a length of time, you’d know what color was what number.

Chuck

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Eric,

Sorry but thats how I do it, thats what the boat is supposed to be used for!

Chuck,

I actually had a card that corresponded numbers with colors (1 is Yellow, 2 is Red…etc) but there has got to be a better way!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Don’t be so sensitive Joe. It was actually pretty fun.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.