CHEATERS

• waterfowler99
    Midwest

Ky. cheater guilty 1/17/2007
    The Madisonville (Ky.) Messenger reported recently that a western Kentucky angler got 3 years probation for his role in a scheme in which he and a partner illegally won thousands of dollars at several fishing tournaments.

Dwayne E. Nesmith, 43, of Island, pleaded guilty to nine counts of theft by deception over $300 in Marshall County Circuit Court. He was sentenced to two years in jail on each count, the sentence to run concurrently, and was given probation.

Nesmith will also pay approximately $7,100 in restitution, which is half of the winnings he and his fishing partner, Brian K. Thomas of Dawson Springs, won in team tournaments. Nesmith is prohibited from holding a fishing license during his probation.

Thomas is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 5 to answer identical charges.

An investigation of the pair began when Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officers received a tip that Nesmith and Thomas had stashed a basket of fish in Lake Barkley during the Relay for Life Buddy Tournament in April.

According to Mark Marraccini, a Fish and Wildlife spokesman, the two men were observed taking fish out of the basket and putting them in a livewell in their boat during the tournament.

Investigators found that Nesmith and Thomas won approximately $15,000 in cash and a $30,000 bass boat between 2002 and the Relay for Life Buddy Tournament. The boat and some fishing equipment were confiscated by Fish and Wildlife authorities.

Thomas pleaded guilty to the attempted theft charge stemming from the Relay for Life Buddy Tournament in Trigg County District Court and paid a $250 fine and $148 in court costs
    AS PER BASSFAN

waterfowler99
    Midwest

WONDER IF HE WILL BE FISHING HERE AGAIN BIO —- I WOULD HAVE TO SAY NO

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

Nesmith will also pay approximately $7,100 in restitution, which is half of the winnings he and his fishing partner, Brian K., won in team tournaments.

Did I read that correctly
    cheers

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

drakes – you refering to the Brian K. ?

shayla

Doesn’t surprise me at all that people do this.

I quit fishing some tournaments due to the prevelance of cheaters.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Kind of like the Capra’s being caught at the Anoka County Airport filming a bow hunt.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

They should both be charged with fraud against an organization because it was a charity event, and be sent to prison.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Careful Dan. As you said. Nothing can be proven.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks for the post! Shame be to them both. I would certainly hope they would both be black listed. Several years ago a guy from around here was caught cheating. Yep, the fish basket trick. He kept professing his innocence. Someone contacted Ray Scott and Ray called him. Ray told him that they could clear it all up with a polygraph. Ray told this guy he would arrange it. The guy refused, but still professed his innocence. It cost the guy nearly everything. He cannot fish competitively around here, his wife left him, etc.. All over a bass tourney.

shayla

His wife left him over a bass??? That’s a good one! I didn’t know it was that easy. Maybe she didn’t like him coming home with fishy smelling fingers all the time?

luv2fish
    Marion, IA

Wow…calling out someone by name based on speculations is a bold move. Especially someone who just finished 2nd in the weekend series regional championship at Patoka. Very bold.

Glenn Marshall
    Global

Quote:

Wow…calling out someone by name based on speculations is a bold move. Especially someone who just finished 2nd in the weekend series regional championship at Patoka. Very bold.

I’m not sure the Legal term is “Very Bold”, i think they have another name for it.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

You bass guys make me laugh.

luv2fish
    Marion, IA

The feeling is mutual.

shayla

Ahh, can’t ya just feel the love around here?

pitbull
    Too far from the river

I think if we all really new about all the cheating that goes on out there we’d shocked..just my opinion though!!

fluker

I find this interesting. When all the hub-bub was going on with Team Supreme, a forum moderator made a post stickied to the top stating:

“We need to stop posting cheap-shots and poor taste remarks until a formal announcement has been made regarding Team Supreme and their day-to-day business. Until then, all outside the lines comments will be removed.”

However now a person affiliated with IDA it naming names pointing out cheaters. Maybe I’m incorrect, but I understand no formal information has ever been presented stating that these folks you mentioned (Capra’s) have cheated, thus it’s only hear say correct?

Cheating is as low down as you can get. Thus calling someone a cheater is a BOLD statement. I guess the way I look at it is put yourself in the other shoes. How would you take it if someone recognized you as a cheater on a public forum and you had done nothing wrong? I think I’d be a little more than upset.

Someone from IDA posting this type of allegation on a public forum sure shed’s a dim light on IDA in my opinion.

However I guess it IS a public forum. Just seems like a comment in bad taste to me.

Fluker

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Well said Chuck!!

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

Are the capra’s (any of them) on this website if so by what screen name? ike

fishnut

You’ll never find a more honest and diplomatic man then Fluker. Thank God we have men like you to make the rest of us step back and take a deep breath. Thanks for putting things in the correct perspective again.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Are the capra’s (any of them) on this website if so by what screen name? ike

I sure hope not. At least not while this post is available.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Fluker,
    May I ask who you are referring to when you say “a person affiliated with IDA “

Quote:

However now a person affiliated with IDA it naming names pointing out cheaters.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.