Cleaning Bass Boats

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Just wondering what you guys use to clean your bass rigs with. I usually use Meguiars fiberglass polish a few times a year on the hull. I’ve had problems getting all the waterspots off my motor cowling and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I saw a guy spraying his outboard with some kind of 409 cleaner after a tournament this year, but I don’t want to start trying a bunch of household cleaners on my equipment unless I know they work!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For water spots white vinegar works incredibly well, its cheap, and it won’t damage any surfaces.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Try protect all….www.pratectall.com…I first came in contact with it at sturgis and located it at our local harley dealer…its a spray on polish..works great for water spots and easy to use…I use it on my boat,truck,motor, motorcycle… great all around polish…..i get out of the water…spray it on the motor/boat and in 5 to 10 min the whole boat is done..obviously you can do a better detail when washing it but it works for the quick cleans as well…good luck

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I agree with James about the white vinegar. It won’t damage the shiney finish on the hood of your motor. For the build up I get on the lower unit of my motor I use a generic spray-on lime scale remover which works great. Just don’t get the type with abrasive particles in it. I don’t know if I would use it on any fiberglas as it may damage the gel coat. My boat is overdue for a good cleaning. Another “to do” to add to my ever growing list.

Eyehunter

phishirman
    Madison, WI

vinegar works if you don’t mind your boat smelling like Summer’s Eve. I use Starbrite Hull Cleaner.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Bass Boat…. What is that?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

CLR works great. Wet rag and spray CLR on it, comes right off.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Be careful around painted surfaces. CLR turned a nice deep red to a funky tomatoe color on one of my boats. Of course this was an aluminum boat but I think suggesting a little out of the way test spot before doing the whole rig wouldn’t be a bad idea.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’ve always used CLR or Lime away. They are fine on gel coats but always test. Those products I also use on the engine cowlings, lower unit etc.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

James. You have to get a glass boat in sttead of the tin one!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve had both.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

This is a topic where you will find many opinions and thoughts… I offer only word of caution and a basic suggestion…

Caution: CLR, Boatworks, Toiletbowl Cleaner, etc… all basicically the same, with simple varfiances in price, colors, and frangrance… all contain the same compound… HydroChlroic Acid (HCL). Be careful… if you use it, it is important to rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. HCL is highly corrosive on bare metal, so any scratches on your trailer, your brakes (unfinsihed surface), and all similar areas may be “rusted out” come spring if you’re not careful. On straight fiberglass, nothing works better than HCL to remove the yellow water stains and other deposits, just be careful.

My suggestion… nothing replaces good old fashion elbow grease and some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and a damp cloth… removes the stains, the chaulky residues, the black scuff marks, and small scratches. It makes a boat SHINE in all aspects and no detrimental effects, except your arms might end up looking like Popeye! The best part of rubbing compound is it truly takes everything off… you know the splashwell in the back of the boat where the steering cables, gas lines, etc all rub and get those uly black lines/marks on the well… rubbing compound will take it right off! I have a white boat, and it makes it look like new each year.

Now, if you spend a little money, you can get an electronic buffer/polisher to do the work. Your friends might call you a girl, but it may be worth it…

Some other tips…
    1. Do not use waxes that contain silicone – not good for gelcoats, they should breath. A simple Turtle Wax Finish 2001 works great and is an easy wipe on wipe off and will make it feel like a baby’s bottom, shine like a new boat, and is inexpensive.
    2. Use PLEGDE, yes ordinary household lemon Pledge, and clean your windshields… I was nervous at first, too, but it removes EVERYTHING (even bugs and BC’s chew droppings!) and will repel water, dust, and Sloppy’s prop wash as he cuts you off!
    3. Use Formula 303 (it is WAY SUPER EXPENSIVE) but use it on your seats, your cover, your dashboard, your elecronic screens, etc to clean, protect, and revitalize them… its like Armour All, but will not damage your stuff like Armour All which contains petroleum distolates. Best stuff in the world for boating gear… your boat cover will look like new AND be protected. At $800 a piece, its worth it.

The comment on 409 is real, I see many use it (including my dad – right Loan-A-Ranger?), I just have not. I believe more in elbow grease than chemicals.

Hope this helps. I will post a picture of my “ready for storage” rig to show the boat cover shine with the Formula 303 tomorrow if I remember.

Have a great night!

ReelGuy

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Pledge works awesome on the seats as well. It’s cheap too.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

ArmorAll works great on your competitor’s seats….

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Or their steering wheels.

bassrap

Marty,

The best stuff I’ve found is Restore Boat Polish for cleaning the hull and Wonderfoam for cleaning the lower unit. Both work awesome. The are available at http://www.larsensales.com.

Rick

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Restore and Wonderfoam is what I was, it really is a great product and works like it says it does.

Ron

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Thanks for all the info guys. Now that the season is finally over I can turn on the heater in the garage and clean the boat while I daydream about flipping some milfoil on Guntersville or shallow cranking some laydowns on the river

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Sorry it took so long… Formula 303 is expensive but worth it. This cover on my boat was sprayed last winiter time for storage, and I did not reapply – no need to. Its great stuff. A warning, it may “look” the same, but Armour All will actually ruin the fabric over time, and Fromula 303 will not.

You can read about it HERE and buy it at PowerHouse Marine.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.