1st time on pool 8 need info

• BuzzBaitBill

I am going here to pool 8 this weekend to fish with are club. This is the 1st time for me and my boater was here late last fall for 2 days. I think we are going out of Clinton st ramp, La Cross. We are a small club with 9 boats. So I am asking for some help on fishing this area? I’ve read some the posting how low is the water? and swim jigs what color and size will be best? this is something I have not fished with.
    Thanks for the Help BuzzBaitBill

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey welcome Bill

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

BBB- check out these guy’s hometowns and PM (private message) the ones who live in the La Crosse area. You’re sure to get some good info that way since many are reluctant to make a public post here…

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

You’ve got mail

BuzzBaitBill

thanks for the welcome!
    Is there a bait shop in Lax that would have maps of the water? Is the water low and things or places to look out for? Casey thanks for the info is their a bait shop that the Brovarney sold at? scents the time is to short to get online.

BuzzBaitBill

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The river has come up about 6″ in the last day or so. As it sits, the stage is right about normal. The last time I checked the stage, it was just over 5ft. That’s pretty close to normal.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

BBB- check your PM’s…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

BBB- check your PM’s…

C’mon guys…can’t we just share out in the open?…

BTW, Dave. Your hat’s on backwards.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Sure Blue. What do you want to know?

As far as the hat goes- I was experiencing a serious case of “hair-by-Blazer” and needed to put a lid on it. My hair has more waves than Byron Velvicks after I have been running around at 80 MPH!!! (well, not really…)

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Hey Blue, wasn’t my visor on backwards AFTER we speared that 4+ foot wave???

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

What do I wanna know? hhhmmmmm…….not sure at the moment. You know I don’t fish pool 8 much. I just thought I’d throw that out there. I didn’t know I’d get called out for it.

As for the hair, I’m going to suggest to Casey and the gang that they call you Dave “Velvick” Norton.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Hey Blue, wasn’t my visor on backwards AFTER we speared that 4+ foot wave???

Why yes, yes it was….

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

You should come up to pool 7. We can try to find a couple 4ft’ers to spear for old times sake.

brovarney

When we were out there two weeks ago most of the fish came from the shoots and shores around Goose Island.

Eel grass was a big help when it was next to some type of emergent (pads arrowhead exceter…) 4+ of water close help even more. If you could find current flowwing past this cover it was real good. If you could find it flowing into the cover it was better.

The day one guys were using:
    1st Bucky (white red tinsel) swim jig with a chart trailer
    2nd Gringo (white) swim jig with PINK trailer
    3rd proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim jig with chart trailer.

Day two:
    1st Bad to the Bone (chart/orange) swim jig with yellow trailer
    2nd proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim jig with chart trailer.
    3rd Gringo (white) swim jig with PINK trailer

Big Bass
    Day one proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim jig with chart trailer.
    Day two(white) swim jig with PINK trailer

Bigger fish came using a 7 inch super mag grub. Even when the head of the jig got covered with duck weed the tail was still flapping away and the fish kept hitting it.

hope you like the info Blue………Did you send the Numbers yet?

The Chart/Blue jig will be release soon.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Jeez Dan…just tell it like it is!

Let me know when that new color comes out… .

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

3rd proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim

2nd proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim jig with chart trailer.

Day one proto type (I get to do that ) chart pale blue swim jig with chart trailer.

The Chart/Blue jig will be release soon.

Got any pics of the Proto’s?

brovarney

Hey D-nort at least I didn’t mention any brand names

I’ll email you a picture of it.

brovarney

D-Nort

Ok I went out and cut it of the rod I was using. It still has the end of day bigger grub on it.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That’s kinda purty Dan!

That color yellow has been great for me on cranks!

brovarney

Ok Blue you just named it…….

Meet CRANK the newest swim jig.

You just became a daddy.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Ok Blue you just named it…….

Meet CRANK the newest swim jig.

You just became a daddy.

SWEET!

Now can I get a dozen?

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

When are you coming from, I may be able to set you up BILL.
    Casey

zombywuff
    Illinois

I’ll take a half a dozen….. soon!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Dan gave me one of those grubs to try and i tell you they are huge! Its like a musky trailer but they are awesome. If you swim your jig fast enough, the thing flaps like a buzzbait on the surface. Comes through the slop like nothing also. I was getting some short strikes however the day that i used it so i switched to a smaller bait but at the right times, i think this thing will rock. did i mention that same day where i switched, I caught a 3 lber within 20 minutes of starting? it had the whole bait in its mouth, engulfed that 7″ grub. Don’t know why they weren’t eating it the rest of the day but it was still sweet none the less.
    Dan, just don’t tell them the EXACT locations as i am using those spots still and will be fishing them in the tournament that we are having coming up. as long as they aren’t fishing it the same day as the tourney we are having, i don’t care. Just go easy on ’em buzzbaitbill!
    Ps- Dan, thanks for the jigs and the grub last time we talked. I really needed some more jigs as all my brovarneys were getting bitten off and i don’t care much for the team supreme ones. So some of those swim jigs you gave me were much needed! thanks!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Dan, you actually gave me one of those jigs back in June before our Winneconne BFL. In fact, Kizew and Bassman helped me fine-tune the trailer we thought would work best. If you get the chance, put a white grub on there and chartrues SPIKE the tip of the tail…

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Do you guys find when using a bigger trailer on a swim jig like the 7″ that the tail flutter causes the jig to spin in circles underwater…especially when burning it? Seems to be the case for me. Thoughts?

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Wingdams are a good bet right now.

There are fish busting all over the place, the hardest part is getting them to bite.

brovarney

Rigged like in the photo on that brand of jig that trailer did not make the jig roll.

Note that it has a skiny body and the grub is straight on the shaft tail down.

BuzzBaitBill

Ha Guys Thanks for all the info! I have been using large bait latly like drop shoting a 7″ senko in the thick weeds, 12″ worms, and of late goto 7″ HellGies and salad spoons by Lunker city. I’ll be nice at these areas not shirr how far my boater is willing to go or do this is the first time fishing with him. We level tomorrow morning prefish 3 or 4hr and Saturday tourney on Sunday only. I have heard a lot about swim jigs just need to learn to fish them I will give a report on ho things go
    Thanks BuzzBaitBill

BuzzBaitBill

when i get back I’ll be ordering some

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.