Pool 8 Bass Report

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Well i was on pool 8 yesterday for some fun with a friend of mine. My friend is from my baseball team and he likes to fish but has no experience in bass fishing and realy none with artificial lures either. Well i had him throwing a bucktail spinner while i threw swimm jigs and tubes and creatures. I did well on numbers but not much size to the fish today. every where we tried, it seemed like the 10 inchers were out in full force. I did catch 2 keepers at 2 lbs each but the rest of the day was all small fish. We probably fished around 4 hours and then we hung out with another friend and went to the rope swing to swim. it was a fun day and my friend had a really fun time catching fish. i think he caught 5 fish, including his first sheephead ever and his first northern ever. He was pretty excited. I probably caught 15-20 bass but again, only 2 keepers. i don’t know whats up on the river lately, but i can’t put together a solid pattern anymore. Obviously i’ve been able to find lots of fish in good abundance but they just aren’t bumping out on the board. lots of 12-13-1/2 inch fish coming to my boat, which is great for someone who has never caught good numbers before, but sucks for me… I have pondered for a long time wondering what has happened to the bass bite and i have concluded that its not just the tournament or just the weather but its a little of both. I think all of the fish that were stuck durring practice and in the tournament are probably still very sluggish. i bet there were 50,000 or more keeper fish actually caught durring the time from practice to the end of the tournament. I may be running high but wouldn’t be surprised. You throw in the 100 degree heat and boy its tough. I think that could be the reason why we’re seeing a lot of dinks. the keepers could be more sluggish after being stuck. I know several pros were fishing goose area pretty much daily up to 2 weeks before the tournament.
    i’m just hoping the cooler temps were supposed to have at the end of the week will bring back the hot bite, just like it was in late june-early july with low 80’s every day and sun. The bite was really really hot then.
    good luck.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Thanks for the report Cade. Keep pounding it. You’ll get back on them.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

fished 8 last night for 2 and half hours to see if i could catch a limit. i ended up w/ 9 keepers and 2 shorts. i flipped manns hardnose craws and threw a lethal weapon II swim jig, they wouldn’t hammer it you would just feel the weight….definatly a result of water temps. my sandal measures 12″

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

nice fish waterfowler! sounds like you had an alright night

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

my sandal measures 12″

Hmmmm… something about the size of a guy’s foot… 12 inches… sure, that’s what you tell people, eh? Come clean… that fish barely made the bump board for legal status…

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

Hey, Cade. Toad and I got a limit out of Goose on Saturday in a tourney. Our big fish even had a torn up tail. Looked like a fish from the Stren. We just worked super slooowww with swim jigs and frogs. So they do bite. The dog fish were hungry on Saturday too. I hate those things. It’s a tough time of year. The guys that won it were fishing the main river. All big smallies.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Quote:

Hmmmm… something about the size of a guy’s foot… 12 inches… sure, that’s what you tell people, eh? Come clean… that fish barely made the bump board for legal status…

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I got money saying you don’t wear a size 12!

Also (not you WF99)…

Quote:

Our big fish even had a torn up tail. Looked like a fish from the Stren.

This doesn’t make much sense to me. Why would you think that tournament fish had their tails torn up? I’ve never seen that before. Seriously.

I don’t even know if a fish stuck in a pen for a week would have a torn up tail…maybe???

FYI- I just caught a fish last week in a little local lake that had a torn up tail…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I don’t think the fish even remember anything about the tournament 4 WEEKS ago…and it certainly isn’t the reasoning behind not catching fish.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I just noticed another interesting thing from you picture WF99. I see the anal fin is torn on you big fish, but more importantly…the tail is torn. What REALLY caught my attention is the tail tear starts in the general location of where the DNR was punching some of the tails in the fish. Hummm.

I wonder if some of the holes they were punching eventually tore the tail???

Nice fish .

waterfowler99
    Midwest

its part of a study i’m conducting

blue_perch
    Sparta WI

In defense of myself. It was the lower half of the tail, the top of the tail looked fine. Just a hypothesis fellas no need to jump down my throat, but since we are all aquatic biology majors here I guess we can discount my theory.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

didn’t do so bad today. Managed a limit with a spare (6 keepers) and quite a few reel guy fish. lol..after tonight though, i think they were Jeremiah fish. Jk Jeremiah! reel guy brought in some real nice fish tonight. My limit was around 10 lbs so not anything real great. I had 3 14 ” fish and 1 15″ and 2 16″ fish. Fish were really eating a rattle trap burned on any cover. it was just tough in most areas with all the floating vegetation but if you could get it in the water, the fish would be in the boat. Caught all fish around goose island today. First limit from my boat in like 2 weeks so i feel kind of happy.

danwi
    westby wi

Is there much water at Goose? I was thinking about putting in fri evening

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The water came up a bit and it isn’t too bad at all. The current comes through much better which i also think helped. Just don’t run openned up unless you are on the main sloughs. Even Running Slough has a shallow spot to the south near biers lake (sp?).

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Nice to finally meet you, Cade!

Yes, the water was up, and the flow was really different from just 48 hours ago, and the fish seemed to be relocating. An interesting night. The boats targeting largies struggled, those fishing smallies seem to do better.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

same to you RG…Those were some really nice smallies you had.

huntem29
    Melrose Park IL

Nice fish guys. I will be in the Lax area in a couple of weeks and am wondering where the best place to launch is. I know about the launch below the lock, but was hoping to find something south of there and on the WI side.
    Thanks…..

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Clinton Street launch is arguably the most central and best one. I prefer the 7th street landing, however, as I like the middle to south end of Pool 8… more fish down there…

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i would have to agree with reel guy, 7th street is better. But i’m usually launching out of Goose island however. This is just south of lacrosse. its a campground with several launch sites.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I wonder if some of the holes they were punching eventually tore the tail???

Yeah D-nort, I think you have a very good idea. I caught a smallie today on a wingdam not far from where they were supposedly realeasing the fish. The fish was 15-1/2 inches long and just shy of 2 lbs (quite skinny) right away i noticed that it was quite beat up. It fought harder than any of the fish i caught today however, including the big fish at 2.6 lb largemouth. But this fish had a torn up tail. Upon closer examination I realized this fish was from the tournament and had been punched and the tail ripped after that. It was very interesting. Heres a couple pics of this.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I guess i don’t have any more pics. But notice how beat up that fish is. The tail was bloody and not full shape. It was ripped up. The dorsal was a little messed up and there was a wound on one of the sides. Maybe its just a cooincidence but maybe the dnr wasn’t as gental with these fish as they keep stating. I could picture them punching holes in the fish while they toss them in big nets, while their dorsals get caught in the nets and break and their tails get ripped ect. ect. Sounds kind of stressful for the fish.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

While i’m here, i’ll give a report for the day. I started out on some wingdams near target lake and byc. They didn’t seem to be hot, but i didn’t stay on any dam longer than 30 minutes. The first one, I started casting a crankbait and after a few casts, it was fish on. It was fighting pretty good and all of a sudden, the pressure was gone. I thought it just came unbuttoned but the bill of the crank actually broke off the body.. it was wierd and also frustrating. I would hate to see what it was unless of course it was a big old carp or something but was thinking along the lines of a nice smallie. I caught some small fish on the dams on a crankbait or plastic craw. I moved to a couple other ones and finally got a good keeper on one of the dams on a crankbait. It was a 2.1 smallie. Not too bad at 16-1/4″ long but not excessively girthy. i caught more small fish and fished some more dams and caught one more smallie just under 2 lbs. This one was 15-1/2 inches and again pretty skinny. i caught some more dinks and decided to try my luck in a new area. I have heard of some stories of success up here but never tried it or even went through the area. I was fishing French Slough near Round lake. I still only had 2 keepers and a bunch of dinks at around 3 o’ clock and thought that i better get back to some wingdams to try and scrounge out a few more smallies hopefully since I wasn’t getting bit in the pads that i was fishing. But i looked behind me and saw a bunch of bait and bass moving. I fished the rest of the pads and went to where i saw the bait. the fish were still around and busting. They wouldn’t take my swim jig (it wasn’t the right color) So i threw a zarra puppy to match their surface feeding habbits. That bait was the ticket. I caught 3 keepers and several more 10-13 inch fish. It was fun to see them blow up on the bait. I talked to a guy that was leaving the lily pads and he said that he caught 10 fish 9 keepers off the same spot in the morning on a Pop-R. Pretty interesting. Anyway i filled a limit, big fish was a skinny 17″ LM that went only 2.6 lbs. i felt happy that i found fish in a new area though and got around 10-1/2 lbs, better than yesterday’s limit.
    Top is a 2.1 smallie, first keeper of the day.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.