Fishnut Shatters the Record

• riverfan
    MN

On Monday we held our (the Zumbro Valley Bassmasters) third club tournament of the year on Lake Waconia. Brent Haimes (Fishnut) weighed five toads for a total of 25 lbs even. The weight surpasses our club 5 fish limit by around 4 lbs. Our records aren’t the best but we think the old record was around 21 lbs. Maybe Spincast can help us with the facts.

Though the weigh was impressive we had to penalize Brent style points for using fairy wands to catch his fish. real men use “Buba Rods”.

Brent reported catching around 20 big fish on the weedlines. His big was 5.6 lbs but his partner beat him for the big fish of the day with one that weighed 5.65. The rest of the club looked like minor leaguers with just 3 limits over 19 lbs and lots of other nice limits.

Brent has owned the lake for the last few years and I have to give him Kudos (thought it pains me) for figuring out how to fish the lake.

I know this should be in the West Metro forum but we’re River Rats at heart.

P.S. I’m accepting bids for Brent’s GPS coordinates.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

sweet limit that will be something talked about in the club for ages

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Good going Brent!!

mikem
    SE Minnesota

You’re correct John.I believe Mike K. had 21# the first year we held a paper tourney on Minnewashta.That’s the best I remember in my 18 years of fishing the club.Great Job Brent!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice fish and limit!

I soundslike you club did pretty well though with 3 limits over 19#. Care to share how people caught the fish, on what, etc…

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

No wonder he beat the rest of you like a “rented mule”. According to that picture above, he has
    three more hands than the next closest competitor.
    Nice mess of fish

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Wow!
    That is very impressive! Great job!

What was the winning technique for these beast?

fishnut

Technique was 4″ worm with a 1/8 oz. weight on 10# line in 12′ to 14′ of water. Fish were in small clearings in the weeds. My partner fished a jig about half of the day and never got a bite. Riverfan and others caught them on jigs, but the 4″ worm caught all of my fish that day. Life is good!

zombywuff
    Illinois

What a great day! Nice job, fishnut!

larsonmat
    Mondovi, WI

Brent actually owns a spinning rod . Last I heard the bite was going to be off because of an alge bloom. So much for that! Great job ripping pigs . Of course this means the expectations for the Alma tourney just went way up!!!

Matt

fluker

The weights were a little skewed this year. In years past, there were several bags between 14 lbs and 19 lbs. This year the top 4 places were 25 lbs (fishnut), 20 lbs (Riverfan), 19.30 lbs (Matt Pretzer) and 19.05 lbs (myself). However 5th place dropped all the way to 15.00 lbs. The algae bloom had definitely started as the water was pretty darn dingy. In the weeks prior, the fish had been really balled up. If you didn’t throw a marker, it was only one here and one there. This weekend, the fish seemed to spread out a bit. Still farily new to this northern fishing (not quite 5 full seasons), but it seems as the water darkened up, the fish starting roaming and looking for food rather than sitting and waiting for it.

Fluker

riverfan
    MN

Just wanted to point out you don’t need to go all the way to the cities to get toads. These fish are from our couples tournament on Lake Winona on Saturday. A 4.90 and a 4 something.

John

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks John,
    Nice fish all the way around.
    Jack..
    see you Tues.. at the meeting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.