Sheepshead get a bad rap?

• sheepheadmaster

Natureboy claims that sheepshead are not bad for the river system. He is an avid supporter of sheepshead management, is a member of “Save the Sheepshead,” and practices sheephead catch and release. Just writing a post to test the water and see what people think of this nincumpoop.

(located on the right in the picture)

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve never heard or read anything saying Sheepsheads are bad for the river system. They are however a hell of a lot of fun when they decide to eat a crankbait or spiderjig.

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Try fishing Erie where you catch them the size of garbage can lids. It is an amazing fight though.

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

thanks blue If I could go out and catch a 5lb plus sheephead everytime I went out I would love it.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

BTW, I did vote ‘yes’ for the second question…

I think Kevin voted 4 times for ‘No’…..

fluker

Give them a tint of orange, start calling them “Red Fish”, and put them on TV and I gurantee you we’d have people coming from all over to fish for them. Same thing really. Enjoy them fun fishing, but frustrating in a tx.

sheepheadmaster

At least we can all agree Kevin is a nincumpoop. I mean these results are staggering.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Aldo Leopold once stated “who but a fool would throw out what nature has chosen over the millenia” – or something to that effect. Sheapshead are a part of the system and have an effect on the other creatures within the system. They are eaten by a great number of creatures that utilize them for food. Chuckles

rivers

try filleting them and smoking them .i havent had anybody turn them away yet.goodeating.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I filleted some tonight, didn’t know if i wanted to keep the whitebass but kept those too.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

sheephead fight HARD! I’ll admit, i’m usually pretty disappointed when i think i got a 4 lb bass on and its a sheephead, but i got no problems with them. i once caught one that had to be 12 lbs or more while trolling for walleyes. Man it held my boat while i fought it in current for about 3-5 minutes. they’ll eat just about anything too!
    ps- you can fool people into thinking they are bass from long distances too right AlvinMack? Remember that one slop bass?

sheepheadmaster

I guess I can’t really say if they are good eating or not. I’ve never actually eaten sheepshead, but then again I have never eaten out of a toilet bowl either.

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

Hey sheepdude, do you want to switch the battery charger on the boat at lunch. (just make sure you unplug it before you switch it) Toilet huh? what do you think those channels you like so much feed on?

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Sheepy’s:
    The hard thump on a tube, the nice fight and best of all the Luganis on the way out of the boat!

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I guess I can’t really say if they are good eating or not.

If you prepare them correctly, sheepies are pretty good to eat. Here is the recipe that we use:

–Scale the fish and remove its head.
    –Rub down the fish with olive oil and rosemary and then fasten it to a pine plank.
    –Roast the plank and fish over an open fire for about 12-15 minutes.
    –Remove the fish, throw it away, and then eat the plank.

Tastes great! This recipe also work for carp and catfish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.