Where you want the Cabin? River or Lake?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

As I sit on the river, Pool 5a fishing and truly enjoying the view up the river and bluffs, I had this thought.
    If I were to buy a Cabin, where would I want it?

On the river?
    Upsides:
    Open all year round.
    Good fishing to be found almost always?

Downsides:
    Flooding could be an issue.
    I have kids and they are part of the equation..rec boating, if fine but tubing on the river- nope!

Lakes:
    Upsides:
    Good fishing I would guess
    Better tubing and swimming for kids

Downsides:
    Less “spots” to fish?
    Closed Season

So what do you think?
    I am really looking for what your opinion might be if you were to buy a place.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would say the river. Most lakes do not have any shoreline where you can stop and let the kids play. Young kids can only make it so long in the boat.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have pondered the same question, and came to this conclusion. This or course is if I had the money anyways.

I would get a place on the river. Great fishing. Great Boating. Neverending places to see. And the number one to me upside is not having a 5 hour drive every Friday night. The 45 min drive to Pool 4 is very managable and I can go mow the lawn, paint the house, or other maintenence on a Wed night rather then taking half the day on Saturday.

The downsides of flooding and sking is overwelmed by the upsides of the others.

shayla

I would say the RIVER, but my reasons are somewhat different than the ones you mentioned, which are good too! To me rivers are full of life. Just as blood flows thru your veins and revitalizes your body, the current of a river does the same…it is always supplying new life and taking the old elsewhere. It moves, twists, turns, a persons travels are almost endless on a river, but not on a lake. Lakes are great, but they are just a “puddle” of water. If I get in my boat the farthest I can go is around the shoreline…the view never changes (except for the new cabins). If the fishing stinks, I’m stuck, I can only go so far or trailer to another lake. I guess my reasons for choosing rivers over lakes is also part of having grown up on a river and wondering where it goes and what adventure lies farther down….lakes, well they just go round and round! Touch Feely, I know, but that is how I feel about the subject.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

either for me as long as i am on water

kNelson

i’ve got it both ways. I live within a 3 minute drive of the river, if i decided right now(my boat isn’t loaded, still drying out), i could be in the drink within 10 minutes. Too much flooding for me to have a cabin on the river, buty ou could hunt out of it in the fall i guess.

my family has a cabin on a flowage up north, its pretty nice. the bass fishing isn’t great, they have few numbers of green bass and the smallies are moody because they mess wiht the water levels so much. i guess when i do catch fish it’s satisfying because i have to work so hard for them. thers also a small river that flows into this flowage thats shallow and rocky and loaded with smallies and muskie and thats something i’ve been blessed to experience several times. cons to the cabin- 3 1/2 hour drive. becuase its farther, i dont tow my bass boat up there and fish out of a lund witha 60 4 stroke instead(S-L-O-W! )..less areas to explore, a lot of open water.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I would be the lake for me. 2 main reasons. I have a child on the way and would be concerned about the current and them falling in. I’m sure they will take after me and want to explore and push the envelope. 2 Flooding.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

I have pondered the same question, and came to this conclusion. This or course is if I had the money anyways.

Like you it’s just a question I ponder cuz right now I am in the money making process not the ready to buy mode!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It would be a river for me especially if it was the mississippi. All bodies of water have thier unproductive days but when the fishings good on the miss. its hard to beat. When it snows in the winter the bluffs are beautiful and also the good ice fishing in the winter plus snowmobiling. If you hunt it’s not that hard to find a place to hunt along the bluffs area, atleast not in iowa, it may not be right along the river but will be close in the bluffs area surrounding the river. Floods are only a small period in the year, the rest is fishable and the cool breezes that flow off the bluffs and down the sides make it cooler alot of days in the summer. I’d choose the river bottom with all the wildlife in the back waters and the many things to see. When my kids were young we were always with them watching them so kids along the river was no problem. Make sure thier not out in the river very far when tubing and watch when the rivers busy.

KevinTurner
    MO & MN

River….Need I say why? LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.