water temperature

• gunakapaducka
    bettendorf iowa

I was just wondering everyones thoughts about how much water temp. affects bass??

crbasser
    IA

I’m suprised there haven’t been any lengthy replies yet, but I will keep my opinion short and simple. Water temp. affects the bass directly, since bass are cold blooded. Basically the warmer the temp. gets the more active the bass, til a point where it gets to warm then it works opposite. Also, the water temp. is a crucial factor for the spawn, which in turns affects the bass’ activity. Always remember that the bass will almost always try to find water temp. that is closest to there ideal comfort level, which is approx. 70-75 degrees. So, we should try to find the places that offer the closest to that temp.. That is keeping it as short and simple as possible, if you are looking for some good reading on the subject, the book title “The modern book of black bass” goes into it with much more detail.

Good luck this season, and tight lines!!!

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Once the WT hits 55 or so on the Mississippi it often seems like the temp effects the prey almost as much or more than the Bass themselves. They are hungry critters and when the water level, temps, and forage changes for their prey and the prey moves the Bass,(especially LM), eventually have to follow to eat. I really think this is part of the reason we have been catching a ton more LM out on the channel in recent years.

Although I kid a lot about just getting started in Bass fishing I have been fishing for them for almost 20 years and am amazed how much better I do when hunting for their prey instead of the Bass themselves. Please don’t laugh your but off , I know most probably have always done this, i.e…. crayfish holes in the bank, etc.

Pin minnows for example almost always means good fishing, often even in cold front conditions. I really can’t remember finding them without finding bass, and ofcourse baby panfish and other bass forage that feed on the pin minnows !!!!!! The pin minnows, and the panfish feeding on them are also a N.Pike magnet. I usually know I’m in the right place when I’m catching both Bass an N.Pike. The pike feeding are often the tip off.

Anybody who fishes the river a lot for Bass knows that this approach is a real problem when the water is very muddy, and then I just have to cover ground and hope to see a spray of them here or there or the fish nipping them on the top of the water. Other wise I just jump around to the spots I usually find them at an hope for luck.

Just for clarification purposes Pin Minnows are the tiny little critters that are transparent and almost neony and barely if even an inch or so long. I have no idea the real name and have been calling them that since I heard the name used a long time ago fishing for panfish. Until six years ago or so I assumed it was just frey of some other species, but their approx average size and appearance is the same in the Spring an Fall.

Do any of the rest of you key of the Pin minnows? Crayfish? Baby panfish? Or something else.

onthewater
    Roanoke, Virginia

Well, let’s see…

Water temp?

Yesterday on the Fox in Appleton it was 37.7-37.8 degrees. We didn’t get but maybe a bite on our tubes (we were lookin’ for smallies). Oh, and always bring a chip-bar to chip away the ice from the ramp during this time of year ! Saved my fanny.

So, 37.7-37.8 degrees didn’t seem to be all too conducive to catchin’ bass; now, 40 degrees seems to bring on the change (for smallies). I’ll test that temp. out next Saturday.

45 (a bit cold), but 50 to 53 seem to bring’em on well. They’re good pre-spawn temps in my book.

Thanks,

OnTheWater

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

When the water temp is colder the bass become sluggish, and you find that using a slower presentation works better. When the temp rises the bass are more active and I tend to find a lot more luck reeling in quicker with a change up. Just think if it is a nice day out you want to run outside and go fishin. If it is cold you tend to be more sluggish cause its to darn cold and you dont get much done.
    I may not be a pro (i hope to be) but this is what i have learned and also expereinced on the water.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Think of this from the perspective of the Bass. You have just frozen your jewels off for over 4 months and you are cold blooded. In order for you to think clearly, thaw out, feel better you need to warm up. So, you head for the nice dark bottom shallow areas, rocky banks where the heat radiates from the bank, warm water discharges and the other. Next you are starting to feel a little better. Not because the water temp is not 50+ degrees but because the water is trending upward. The effect of trending on a cold blooded animal is significant. This is also why cold fronts can so severely affect fish in a short measurable period of time. Ok, Let’s say that were feeling good. Just like all the single guys out there on Friday night. They are all cleaned up and ready to go… Now That I feel good I am ready to stuff my face. You proceed to eat a whole bag of Doritos and 3 ham sandwiches. This is that time where the fish start to feed up for the spawn. The water temp can be in the 40’s and this will still happen. Yes I know it’s a long way off from spawning temp but if the trend is upward then the fish will respond appropriately. This is NOT the time to finesse the fish as earlier mentioned. I am sure you all are aware of rattle traps and jerk baits. These baits work any time in the spring that the water is trending upward.
    Do not think just because you are in 38 degree water that you will have to crawl a grub on the bottom.
    Next Bass and many other species genetically are drawn to spawn. This translates to a few beers for the single guy at the bar…. He is ready to build a nest (aka establish a position at the bar) and then proceed to fan off the area (aka puff out his chest) and call in a mate (aka give his best one liner) . I hope I am keeping everyone on for the ride.
    Next the water reached a temp that is SUFFICIENT for spawning to take place. This has absolutely ZERO to do with temp other than that it is SUFFICIENT. Next the fish as many creatures look at photo period to dictate the actual spawn. Many say the lunar table is the ticket and if you compare the 2 you will clearly see the correlation. (I’ll save that for another post) Now the water is 40 and raising. The smallies are positioned for spawning but not yet making beads. They are aggressive and will chase. Yep I said chase in 40 degree water. The largemouth will as well but you need to think of them as a big fat sunfish. They are lazy and will not chase as fast or as far but they will chase.
    The water keeps warming to the magic 50-65 degree range depending on species the the spawn happens. Lets say for instance the water temp is 55 degrees and the trend is on the decline then you will need to slow down when just last week in 45 degree water you were burning spinnerbaits. There are a bunch of topics stuffed in this little note so we can address an or all of them separately if any one wishes to elaborate.
    Jc

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

WOW! Am I getting my dollars worth on this post! Not only do I have a greater realization of bass patterns and behavior responses, but I learned it’s just like getting girls! You know, I was just sayin’ to myself the other day………….I said, “Self, (cuz that’s me)…….Self! You gotta get out there and get you one of those!” I got as far as the sporting goods section and the thought was gone………….’til now! But who’d a thought………Bass Fishin’ n’ Chics………one in the same!

Okay, so I think I’ve got a better grip on the bass, but I’m still struggling with “trending”. Is this as the air temps rise or is it just getting closer to Friday that supplies this? And the beer does what again???

Just kidding buddy! AWESOME post!…………and fun too!

gunakapaducka
    bettendorf iowa

Jeremy, I am kind of disappointed that it took you so long to respond. Although your response was slightly entertaining, I was hoping for something better. I was wondering if you are fishing BFL this year?? and if you are, are you fishing Clinton? I was just hoping to get to meet the man behind all the off-the-wall comments.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Honestly I could go on for pages and pages but somewhere along the line most eyes would glaze and all I would be doing is reaffirming to myself what I have already figured out.

I guess the biggest point I was trying to make was that…

1. Water temp TREND dictates bass behavior as much of not more than actual water temp.

2. That spawning has nothing to do with water temp other than that it has to be SUFFICIENT to promote successful results.

3. That Photo Period (aka lunar cycle) are the actual trigger for egg dumping.

And just to clarify, Bass will not spawn until water temps get high enough and if they don’t make it in the “window” the eggs will not be dropped at all and will be reabsorbed into the female.

As for the little story I was trying to get people to think from the bass’s point of view. You can be amazingly clairvoyant if you just get the blinders off. If people could gain confidence in their own abilities and gain the mindset that they are the cutting edge they will become the cutting edge and what they start to see will be what everyone else is looking for. Kinda funny how the brain works. Just think of the guy you know that always has something awful happening to him. Every time you talk to him you just know his sky is falling. Do you think he is just really that unlucky or do you think subconsciously he is sabotaging himself?

Tell you what. The next time you drive into a metro area and think you will never find a parking spot make it a point to concentrate and reaffirm to yourself that there are plenty of open spots and then report back on how many you actually saw. The pessimist sees none while the optimist sees plenty.

I don’t think I will be fishing the BFL as I have never liked the Clinton pool. I live in Iowa and I hate to say this but the people of WI and MN make me feel more at home. I guess I have had a run in with one to many Clinton guys with their chest puffed out making a complete mockery out of the ethics I hold true. This is completely separate from the BFL and local to that community only.

Off the wall comments…. Do I take this as a complement? Actually I will admit I might think outside of what people call safe and yes I do like to challenge peoples thoughts and beliefs.. Sometimes just to make them reaffirm to me why they think the way they do.

I can catch fish in 40 degree water with a buzzbait… I can also go a complete day without a fish in 70 degree water… Nothing is set in stone.

As usual I am glazing eyes so I will cut this short.

If you would like to get together my boat is always open. I enjoy good conversation and fine people. I do like to check arrogance at the doorstep since I am completely docile when fishing (aka learning). That being said my boat is always open and anyone is welcome to come along.

Jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’d be more than happy to take you up on that offer sometime this summer, especially if you promise to school me on the finer points of topwater fishing. Could chase you in my boat, but you’d need to stay off the throttle for me to keep up.

A few questions about your post, though: What is the ‘time constant’ for the water trending? Days, hours, minutes?

If it were sufficiently short, I would expect that morning bassin’ would almost always be best, as the sun begins to warm the water, yet I have never found the morning fishing to be consistently better. If it’s days, then what role does the normal daily fluctuation during the springtime play?

thumperw
    White Bear Lake, MN

JC,
    An interesting and informative post. I’m worried, though. Just how do you know so much about the spawning habits of these bass? And by equating it so effectively with human behavior, I’m getting worried! Could you be the “Troy McClure” of FTR?!?!
    http://members.aol.com/bobakabob/simpsons/Characters/troy.html

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Troy McClure. I have never heard of him having any fetish with fish other than that nonsense from some AOL user. My guess is that this guy couldn’t even spell Phil Hartman. As for his the relevance to the fish it would have been better than his x-wife. –ouch-
    Here goes JC an a rant again…..
    Just an fyi for you that don’t know Phil Hartman from Saturday Night live played Troy McClure. Another one of our true entertainers. Why does it seem that all the best comedians either die or have something else accompany them. Chris Farley, Jim Belushi , Dana Carvey, Andy Kaufman, John Candy, Del Close, Sam Kinisen heck I could go on forever. Its truly a shame.

Nope I can’t say I have ever though of fish in this way. Everyone that knows me knows that I can’t stand the taste of fish…

Later
    jc

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

That’s a good question. Trending as I see it are over a period of what I would consider 3 days unless of course the change was happening rather quickly. For instance if we get this ice out I would assume a warm from like last weekend would have the fish really going on the second day. The minor fluctuation in temps throughout the day will be in itself mini trends and fish will relate accordingly. In the summer the traditional morning and night bite is usually good because the light is down and the temps are dropping off. The fact that most anglers are getting off the water helps as well. You will also see that in the summer as the mid day arrives and the temps start to swelter you will see a big change in the feeding activity. The does not mean the bites you get because reaction bites always are an exception. Anyway. CR Basser Hinted on the preferred range and this is something to take into consideration. A cold front will adversely effect fish. Not usually during the cool down but once the water has started to cool. Usually the next day, compound this with the barometric change and you can start to understand what the fish is thinking. Getting about that time… C-Ya’ll tomorrow.
    Jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Good info. I think that one of the most difficult things keeping me from consistently putting together a good pattern, regardless of fish, is the seemingly chaotic nature of their feeding patterns. Just too many variables I’m trying to account for.

In reality, Billy Bass is a pretty simple-minded fella and spends his time reacting to the environment.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I would have to agree on the trending theory, esp around ice out. Every year as I watch the ice thaw and make the initial voyage with the pond, lake or river partially iced; I find the fishing to be good on warm days especially after 2-3 in a row. I usually go out with low expectations but do well. However, a drop in air temp from say 70 down to 55 or less sun with similar temps and i dont seem to catch as many. I think as the sun shines and water warms quickly the bass feed, and when the water is stable (not even necessarily dropping) the activity cools off.
    I feel like I am talking in circles, but im still thinking about the beer and chicks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.