Big Bass Bite 3/26

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I was just in the car scouting around yesterday when I came across some open water that surprised me. I got the FEVER instantly and within 2 hours had the new 06 license, new battery and the boat ready to role.
    Hit the river, thought it would be really slow with the cool water temps. OOPS wrong. First cast of the season and I landed a pike, nice start but who knows. Went on to have a pretty good 4 hour stretch. Among the 12 fish caught they included a few smaller pike, several 2lb, 2-3lb., 1-4.1lb and a very nice 21″ 5.2lb largie! That 5lber would be very close to 6+ when she fattens up and gets ready to spawn.
    I was shocked! Caught them on tubes. They were more aggressive than I could have imagined.
    Had a GREAT day and I guess it’s that time of the year again to test the limits of the Marriage!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That’s nice fish Jeff!!!

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey Haywood sounds like you had a good day to start the season off. If you don’t mind me asking where did you put the boat in and how was the landing? Also what structure seemed to be holding the fish? Congrats on the big largemouth.

robby
    Quad Cities

Great report Haywood. Just curious, what was the water temp? Also how deep were the fish and were they current related or in slack water? Thanks

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I don’t know what the water temp was cuz I do not have a temp guage. My guess is in the higher 30’s.
    The fish were in pretty slack water with some timber off the shore. The water depth would drop to over 10 foot quickly.
    The landing was fine. Most in the area are concrete and pretty well maintained.

kNelson

Nice job. i’ve been out 2 or 3 times, it’s been slow, not even a bite. i havent done any running around, but one of my good early season spots has thousands and thousands of dead and dying shad, so its tough to get them to bite when they have so much available food there. it’s still pretty early yet, this weekend should start picking up though.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Congrats on the awesome day of fishing. That sure gives me some confidence for the weekend ahead.

kNelson

What color tubes, weight,size, and how worked??

I havent busted out the tubes yet. i had a big gizzard shad smack a wacky rigged yum dinger but thats it. other than that, ive been fishing jerkbaits, cranks, and jigs. probably rig with a tube this weekend if i go out seriously, which i really havent done yet.

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

I see that you are from winona… Where exactly did you go???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.