Our Classic Champion

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Barry Sanders used to hand the ball to the ref after each touchdown. Considered Modest, and a great thing to do.

How is this any different?

he looks happy to me

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Shouldn’t the man be allowed to be happy in any damn way he pleases?

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Forget it I’m not going to sit here and validate my opinion on what I saw. It is what it is

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

No reason to get all up in arms about it….People have their own opinions and that’s fine, nothing wrong with trying to understand other’s points of view.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

We’re arguing about how a person celebrates a Classic win.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I know its All I wanted to see is how everybody else saw it and what their opinions were. Before I know it I am arguing with everyone on IDA! I see everybodies point and we are all entitled to our own opinions

waterfowler99
    Midwest

his win, his reaction…….its his!!!!!!!

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I think that the “fish being given to him” is referring to his FLW buddies Lane (not sure which one) and Kennedy (or Kenney) who allegedly told him where to fish.
    The only argument against that is that ill put Scroggins up against either of them and neither exactly owned Toho the last few stops on tour. I figure if you have a source, use it (that article in the LaX paper referred to some tips champman got from Monsoor) but you still gotta make them bite and with all the weather changes he was able to do that.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

True story bassbaron – I put many good hunters in good deer stands but less than half score on a good deer.

robby
    Quad Cities

I think the guy was just not acting the way BASS instructs it’s anglers to act. I commend him for seeming modest. No outrageous act, nothing. I would not have reacted the same as him (I would have been quite a unique show), but heck do not project your expectatations upon another individual. That will cause you trouble your entire life.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

It hasn’t been a week and they already have Clausen OFF the front page of their website.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/index

The Toyota-Triton Sponsors must not have liked the Chevy Boats Ranger Winner getting all that pub.

Reading too much into things? Mabey…but still interesting none the less.

BomberA

Good call. You’ll notice the who’s there now and what’s on his shirt

shimanonut

I don’t pretend to know him on a personal level but after meeting him this past Dec. I am not suprised at all the way he reacted. I ended up sharing a plane with him on the way back from Brazil. He was sitting close to me and everyone was discussing their trip. He was an extremely quite, reserved guy. I think he is even somewhat shy. Don’t get me wrong, he was very nice and I have nothing to say bad about him but he is just flat out reserved and quite!

Outkastconnor, I see your point and my girlfriend said the exact same thing, but once I explained his personality on the plane that day she understood. I think he is just one of those guys, kind of like a young George Cochran. Not to much gets him excited.

I see your point I would have lost my mind!

redneck
    Rosemount

I watched the whole weigh-in and I got a bad feeling from it. The commentators were trying to turn it into something more than it was. All the hoopla when Van Damm took over the lead was just theatrics. He was ahead by a few ounces with several guys to weigh in but they still asked him what he thought his chances were. When Morris took over they really pushed him and when he said he’d do a flip or something if he won I thought” Oh great, that puts Claussen behind the eight ball”. When he did win I saw a guy who had had a very long week finally take a breath for the first time in a long time. I didn’t get a feeling of arrogance but one of someone not ready to be THAT much in the spotlight. A little clue was when his parents came up and they acted very similar to him—overwhelmed. Just my opinion.

zombywuff
    Illinois

You just have to LOVE the politics!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Another tid-bit from Bass Fan:

FLW promoting BASS? 3/2/2006
    For years, when one major league talked about the other, it was usually phrased something like: “XX angler, who also fishes another national tour…” But FLW Outdoors emcees did introduce Takahiro Omori as a former Bassmaster Classic champion at last year’s Forrest L. Wood (FLW Tour) Championship.

And FLW Outdoors recently issued a press release stating that Luke Clausen, at 27 years old, became the youngest angler ever to surpass the $1 million career earnings mark when he won the Bassmaster Classic. Note the specific reference to the Classic, rather than something like “another” or “the other” championship.

Did BASS reference, by name, Clausen’s prior FLW championship win in any of its Classic coverage? Not that we could find, though we may have missed it. And in fact, Clausen’s photo was noticeably absent from BASS’s Classic homepage during the event.

> The FLW Outdoors press release touted Clausen as a member of Team Chevy. That deal, of course, was facilitated by FLW Outdoors.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

You’re right. It was pretty obvious that ESPN and BASS made a specific effort NOT to mention the words “FLW” in their coverage of Clausen. I spotted it several times with the commentators like dippy Byron referring to Clausen winning “other” big tournaments and he’s “cashed some big checks in the past” but never actually calling out FLW.

TravisLohre

Never the less it was sure better watching the classic then womens college basketball.

Less then a month and were heading south.

Stick um hard!!

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.