Our Classic Champion

• Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I thought it was disgusting how Luke acted after he knew he had won the classic!! I have never seen someone have such little emotion after winning the biggest event fishing offers. Anybody agree?

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I agree, not much emotion there. What was with that? he didn’t do anything, just kinda stood there… Was he out of it? shock? didn’t care? I would think after what they fished in yesterday, he would have been emotion considering the work they went through.

riverfan
    MN

It think it was “Anti-Ike” After the spectical Ike put on, no one wanted to look like him!

John

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I can understand not going crazy like ” Ike ” did but I think showing emotion is part of the game. Cracking a smile and maybe holding that trophy up like it meant something would have been a good start. The guy acted like he expected to win and he did so big deal. What a pompus shmuck!

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching it! He could of shown some kind of emotion or excitement without going over the top. I guess I am not much of a fan of Luke’s!

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Maybe it’s because winning $500,000 is old hat to him after taking the 2004 FLW championship.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We noticed that too as we were watching, but maybe he is just a quiet kind of guy. I guess you can’t fault him for that, it isn’t going to help him acquire sponsors, but he should be able to react how he wants. Maybe he was just relieved to have won. I imagine leading wire to wire was very stressful.

BomberA

It looked like he wanted to rub it in the face of BASS. Did you notice that they made a point to mention that he was not entering in the Busch Shootout. And I don’t think Luke is fishing the elite series or whatever BASS calls itself now. I’m kind of glad he shoved it in their face the way he did.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

There was plenty of hype surrounding the whole event, but IMO the weigh-ins nearly bored me enough to want to turn the channel. And yes reaction, emotion would have been nice. Regardless BASS or FLW, if anyone won 500k I am sure they would’ve reacted a little different. I think he was in shock…and exhausted.

bassrap

Or perhaps it’s because he has to split his winnings with his 2 buddies from the FLW Tour, Bobby Lane and JT Kenney (2 of the top sticks on Florida lakes)? Or that he knows that ESPN/BASS isn’t going to do a whole lot for him since he’s not fishing the Elite series this year. Too bad he opted out of the Busch deal or he would have qualified for the Shootout. Not to mention that BASS took the automatic qualification for the previous year Classic winner out for next year.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

He was the youngest guy fishing.I read where he said he he felt like he was living in dream and he really hadn’t felt it yet.Perhaps he worked so hard to keep his emotions in check that he couldn’t just snap out of it.Also as many people in the NE are more expressive.Like Ike.We haven’t seen many from the NW.

jones_in
    Big Bend, WI

I agree with BomberA. I don’t think he is a huge fan of BASS / ESPN and how they market the guys they push. He led the tourney wire to wire and didn’t get anywhere near the coverage that Ike got for being an A$$. I think his sponsors or new sponsors will appreciate him acting in a professional manner. I believe in all sports you should act like you’ve been there and he did and has been.

Jim

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Well said Jim. I know it isn’t his first Rodeo. He acted like a pro and gets ripped????? Ike acts like a jagbag and gets on sportscenter?? Jimmy bounces from the bottom to the top ten and doesn’t get any coverage? Welcome to Nascar B.A.S.S. fans.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Great champion, great win, very possibly on his way to becoming “one of the best of all time”.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Lawrence,
    Your telling me that you think he should be patted on the back for being a dink? I don’t care what he thinks of BASS or ESPN. This involves the ” sport” of bassfishing and the way he acted about winning at the top level is disgusting regardless of his thoughts on the media. How are people supposed to get excited about the sport when people don’t have personality? I don’t care about ” Ike” and what he did, he reacted to the moment, yes a little overboard and boderline rude, but it’s Ike and thats what he does like it or not. I’m not commending his actions.

And yes he will be splitting some money around. I guess there isn’t much satisfaction in catching fish that were handed top you

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Everybody reacts differently to situations. Thats what he did to winning the classic. So what??? Would you rather he fake some outburst? Plus he probably knew all day long from hear say that he had it in the bag.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Thats fine but where is his passion for the sport? We all have it, you cant tell me you wouldn’t atleast smile if you won the freak’n Classic.

BomberA

I was thinking the same thing last night when he won, but I think we are used to the last 3 years seeing Ike, Tak, and KVD(we only use 3 letter names in the bass community) give a few fist pumps and scream a little. Seeing Luke sit there with a little smirk was a bit different, but I still think he was happy as he11 and just did it to spit in the face of BASS.

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Did he spit in B.A.S.S.’s face our has B.A.S.S. spit in all of ours???????????????

BomberA

Quote:

Did he spit in B.A.S.S.’s face our has B.A.S.S. spit in all of ours???????????????

Cause and Effect. I have no problems with his reaction. I think Luke was spitting back.

zombywuff
    Illinois

To me he’s just a 27 yr old kid who’s just won a boatload of money for winning the two top prizes in our sport. After getting the crap beat out of him all day to keep the lead, maybe he didn’t have anything left in his tank….. or just plain didn’t know how to react.

I know if it was me, I’d have broken down and cried , and more than likely wet myself on stage!

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

Bomber,
    What do you think about running the 6 man Nation tourney out of Everts Resort in July? And by the way B.A.S.S. called, it seems they haven’t recieved your federation dues.. They said to call your club secretary..LOL

BomberA

Only if I can charge for parking.

I think you’re the secretary so you better get on that.

GradyH
    Lee's Summit, MO

Quote:

I thought it was disgusting how Luke acted after he knew he had won the classic!! I have never seen someone have such little emotion after winning the biggest event fishing offers. Anybody agree?

Are you kidding me??? Disgusting? Throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old because you didn’t pay attention to you livewell and killed your fish is disgusting. Spending three days talking about a dude that beat up a light pole because he cannot control his emotions is disgusting. Not giving every angler that worked his tail off to qualify for this event the opportunity to represent himself and his sponsors is disgusting. I find it hard to beleive that in 12+ hours of programming that each angler and at least a little bit about his road to the Classic could not have been touched upon. I personally was growing weary of the same handful of anglers featured over and over. Anyway back to my point you may call Luke’s reaction boring, dull, lackluster,uneventful, or boring, but certainly NOT disgusting. I think I will call it “Professional” or “Acting like you’ve been there”.

welter
    Prairie du Chien, WI

I personally dont really care how he reacted, if thats how he wanted to act in the situation all the power to him. I would have been freaking out, you all would probably call me a spaz!

danwi
    westby wi

Grady
    I couldnt have said it any better myself

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

Grady
    Having your fish given to you is digusting!! He would never have won without the help he got. Also acting like you have been there before is cocky considering the guy is 27.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I don’t understand your argument Conner…He HAS been there before. He won $500k 2 years ago at the FLW Championship at age 25.

Everyone gets help, to think they don’t isn’t realistic. That’s just the way it is.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

OutKastconnor,
    I don’t know the details about having his fish given to him, but even if he had a little help or got pointed in the right direction is pretty standard. If you think those others don’t do that you are wrong. He had to go catch them too.
    He wasn’t cocky either. Even if he was in your mind, age has nothing to do with it. He is getting quite a track record built up.

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

I understand he has been there before but why act like it? Apparrently I am the only one who thinks someone should appreciate when they are blessed with great tournament success.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.