Why is JC such a……

• jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I received a call this afternoon asking just why JC is such a… ( insert comments here ).
    In defense of Blue whom I suspect takes heat from some of the things I say I will state my opinion and motives.
    As I eluded to in my previous post, Many of us have been here for quite a long time and honestly have answered about every question pertaining to tackle and what we all use. I will further this post and recap what I feel is THE fundamental difference in who places where in tournaments ad who catches or does not catch fish at any given time.
    First off I will say that I am very guarded of which has been an ongoing lesson learned from a series of unfortunate instances which has altered my perceptions and in many cases my sincere desire to help fellow anglers. The ones who ask sincere questions directed to me always get a sincere and applicable answer that in my opinion goes above and beyond the expectation.
    My favorite reply to what baits people throw is a simple… Shhh, It’s a secret. Lets look at the previous post about which grub we use for a trailer. I challenge everyone to go out and lay each and every grub out on a table and look at the differences. You will quickly discern that the Zoom Fat Albert, the K-Grub, The Kalins, The Team Supreme, the BPS,etc, etc, etc are all similar enough that there is no way plausible that one will out produce the other to an extent that any can be considered superior.
    I have been told that this is raising quite a stir and that I am ( insert comment here ) people off. I would assume over time that 1 plus 1 would = 2 but it seems that so many people are looking for this secret bait that offence is taken every time a bait is not offered up.
    For those who remember the D-Nort post about a Swim Jig that I said Shh, It’s a secret I would offer the same reference. The presentation is the secret if there is one involved at all. I will guarantee that fishing a Booya vs a Team Supreme jig with any and or all jig trailers you wil have similar results.
    Now lets take into account the people who finish well in tournament and start with Jimmy Johnson. We all know he uses a swim jig, Heck you can buy the original fro Bobs bait and tackle. With us all knowing this then why does he consistently place higher than most. It’s the secret that I have been trying to tell everyone since day one of IDA. It’s the fisherman period. Take a carpenter, his tools are just an instrument that he uses to complete his work and accomplish his goals.

Now for the perception. Perception is defined as how people view you and not how you view yourself. That being said I am obviously arrogant. This is the minds of many make it accurate. In my mind I am as humble as they come. If I meet you on the street or at the boat ramp I will be the first to offer a hand or clue you in on what I am seeing on the water. I have spent a day in the boat with quite a few people here and would challenge you to ask any of them. The only people I have not fished with are the ones who did not ask. Its that simple. For those of you who challenge the quality of content I have posted need only do a quick search on specific and I am confident you will find articles that contain what I consider the real secrets. Seasonal movements, patterning fish. Barometer influences, tournament pressure influences, specific vegetation pollination and results defined in each instance.
    To address you directly BC, I enjoy watching the banter that goes along with my often pot stirring replies to the questions I know will challenge personalities. My posts are obviously marked with a big red X for your sharp shooting replies.
    Any way you have it, If anyone wants honest answers to specific questions or even just help catching a few fish then ask me questions that I can dial in. The general “what do you use” is really only a big advertisement for tackle manufacturers. I am really not near as bed as many think. My greatest weakness is not having a drive to become everyone’s friend. Not that I wouldn’t its just that I haven’t.
    Jc

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

JC-Well said my friend
    I don’t think you are arrogant just confident, and rightly so. I also agree on the computer “image” you have and your in person image. In person, I know you are very helpful and very willing to share your knowledge when approached. Most are not like that, and I appreciate that you are.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I’ll ask! When we going fishing?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

As soon as the water opens unless you have some safe ICE. The I’ll be up shortly.
    jc

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Sounds good. I’m ready for pepin to open up! Boats back from the doctor. (Anual Physical) Now it’s time to roll.

Out for the day. Later.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Bring the snow shovel

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have not ever meet JC, he PMed me one day and asked about my name. We chatted awhile and even talked about our favorite colors of plastics.
    I hope one day that I can share my boat with JC as we might teach each other some things and have fun doing it.
    SO just why JC is such a…
    nice guy.

Is my answer.

Much better than some others including Mods in the bass forum that will not even answer a PM. I really do not care if you answer my PMs, I just hope that you never need some advice on the lakes that I know really well.

Thanks JC,

Ron

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I think many people have chimed in and done a good job. I will vouch for JC because i have a personal experience running into him on the water. I had never met him before and we were coming up on each other (on an unfamiliar lake for me) when i recognized him and say “hey”, he proceeded to allow me to follow him to several spots that you might not notice on first glance and taught me a ton about not only that body of water but things to look for on others that i hadnt necesarily thought of or done before. Also, any time I pm him and ask something he is quick and helpful in his responses. Most successful people in any profession/hobby/sport have somewhat of an ego or arrogance to them, but I believe that personal confidence is an important part in life. Those insecure with abilities on the job or on the water (or on the field, court, stage, etc) simply do not perform as well as others. I think that there are secrets in fishing and I am as guilty as any of trying to find a shortcut to success, but the more I learn, the more I learn there really isnt one. Swimming a jig seems so “easy” or idiot proof, but it is amazing the same guys- (monsoor, johnson)tend to rise to the top, same as flipping with Brauer, crankbaits with Fritts, Florida Lakes with Scroggins, etc/etc. I get lots of info from this site, nothing real specific but general things to try next time Im out. I wish I could get out more and help with constructive posts about things more than I do, but simply put im a fisherman with a doctors schedule that at times keeps me off the water(joke of course). I also think that at this time of year people get SAD (seasonal affective disorder- a depression of sorts) especially those of us who long to carolina rig a sammy just like we read about. I know I do and then rush out to buy whatever I think might be the next secret bait when I should probably just use what I have and pay more attention to seasonal patterns, forage, past experience and instinct. Enough rambling, everybody smile, have a cold one and relax- about 1 month until we can all cast our frustrations away with open water!

Dash4Cash
    Saukville, WI.

JC and Bassbaron, I think you guys hit it the nail on the head. to many fisherman looking for the secret lure, when what you both said about patterns, temputure, PH, etc play a much bigger role in bass catching success. I enjoy reading all the posts, and at times find new ideas that I look forward to trying. The thing to remember is that most replies to such questions are OPINIONS. I personaly prefer the 5 inch Kalins grub, not because it is or isnt the best trailer for a swim jig, but because I have alot on confidence when fishing it. After all, confidence in what your throwing is a large part to bass fishing success.
    Just my opinion, Carl

dave83
    S.E. Iowa

well said JC. But come on, you can tell me. What is the secret lure?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hey Butterknuckles!!!

I have been here for a while too…..I guess I don’t understand what you are looking for with your post….is there a purpose??

I met you at the Mille Lacs GTG…..and honestly….after you had a few beverages….well…..enough said.

As for your post……..
    I am wondering…your post states you are very guarded with your information….why is that?? In your example about the grub trailer….if they are all so similar why not just tell people the one you use?? They might be asking because they don’t have any and want to try some, when they get to the store and see 15 different grub trailers they are overwhelmed and don’t know what to do.

I guess I don’t understand the secret…..there is no secret…the hottest bait in the world might be a black jig with a silver kalin trailer….so what if you tell 1000 people about it…if they don’t find the right spot at the right time of day in the right conditions it isn’t going to work. That would be like me saying …go to Mille Lacs troll Purple Reef Runners and bleeding perch Tail Dancers on the flats…that might be exactly what I am doing and hammering fish….BUT…I am not just randomly trolling around…there are so many variables that come in to play and you need to be able to adapt to the specific conditions of that particular day that even though you might have the “secret bait” you may not catch a darn thing on it.

One last thought on that….if you are prefishing for a specific tournament I completely understand why you would not give any information at all….but if it isn’t a tournament….who cares?? If your goal as a moderator is to add value and insight….then add value and insight.

I don’t expect any of the other moderators to give me GPS coordinates to their favorite spots but time and time again they are giving very specific information about exactly what their presentation is.

No offense here…but if you know “the secret bait” and you are keeping it secret….why aren’t you winning FLW and BASS tournaments left and right??

REELNMN

JC I understand you not wanting to share information, but then why be a moderator on the site? Seems like the Moderators should be promoting information exchange on the site. Otherwise I would be 100% behind you.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

First, Who let a walleye guy in here?

Quote:

No offense here…but if you know “the secret bait” and you are keeping it secret….why aren’t you winning FLW and BASS tournaments left and right??

Not sure if my post wan’t clear but I thought the “There is no Secret Bait” references would suffice.

As for being guarded. What I was trying to say is that I always offer and and all knowledge when asked. The guarded being not just going out and listing precise locations, lures, presentations, and the fine tune patterns. aka Spoon Feeding.

jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC – your post says more than you needed to say. No one needs to publicly defend whom they have chosen to be in life. Each of us makes the world a better place. Call it corny, but isn’t that what makes the world interesting?

Personally, your posts make me think, and I like that. Sure, it can come off arrogant, but who cares? Heck, I even find it irritating sometimes, but I like the challenge to think about doing things differently. I don’t want to be told, I want to be taught. Afterall, do any of us actually know the secret to life? Nope. (Okay, maybe JC does… )

Seriously, the mystery is exactly what makes life and the pursuits of life so thrilling and enjoyable. If someone gave you a cookbook of what to do or how to do it, would you follow it precisely? How fun and challenging would it be to just be told how to do something and do it? Life, in some ways, is like fishing… you always hope there is another day! And, the pursuit to discover how to get those finicky finned friends of ours to bite drives us crazy… but the rewards offered are immense… whether it be person pleasure or a check.

On a personal note, I struggled a few years back and felt I was stagnating with my fishing skills. I couldn’t figure out what I needed to do to change what I was doing to get better… I reached out to JC and asked him a seemingly simple question. Now, while I am not a tourney winning pro, I have improved my skills, and continue to improve each year as a result of the lengthy discussions we engaged in about ecosystem, the fish, signs to look for, presentation, etc. It has proven incredibly helpful. Thanks, JC.

Live on. Fish hard. Smile if you get to fish… it is supposed to be fun!

bill brasky
    Rochester, MN

JC is a good guy other than the fact he killed my 1.75 of Morgan at the GTG

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Send me your address and I will have one delivered… I just wish I could remember doing it…. My kidneys still hurt just thinking about it…
    Just how does someone weighing a buck 75 kill a 1.75????
    If I do the math properly the only thing I should be hearing is an ambulance.
    jc

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

JC-
    Great post man.
    i used to wonder myself why you were leaving a lot of details out, but what you said makes great sense. I always share my information, but a person’s only going to catch fish doing something they have confidence in.
    Safe ice? come on up.
    PM me if you want to get on the ice

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Quote:

Just how does someone weighing a buck 75 kill a 1.75????
    If I do the math properly the only thing I should be hearing is an ambulance.
    jc

I think you had good training aka “come relax at the vine, the vine, the vine” lol

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

Let’s see, I shared a boat with JC. It was a cold October day. There was enough grass floating on the river one could have walked across it. He damn near threw me out of the boat trying to cut the wake of a barge. Made fun of my home made spinnerbaits (some scars time can’t even heal) and helped me catch a gigantic dogfish. Maybe the biggest of my career.

All kidding aside.

He has also discussed openly with me many bass tendencies and seasonal locations. Many subtlties of bait preperation and presentation. I appreciate that.
    Also, how well is a lesson learned if you don’t have to use your own head to learn it?? If he wasn’t such a ….. we would not think before we typed. Someone that challenges you to think for yourself will only make you better. JC thank you for helping me think for myself. Thanks for not giving me the whole answer.
    Tony

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

The Vine…. Lord does that being back some memories…
    back in the day I would take a 5 dollar bill down to the watering hole and get 2 dozen wings for 2.40 and 12 beers for 2.50 with a dime for a tip… The god old days.
    jc

2Fishy4U

You never did answer Buckshot’s questions and I wonder why. Nonetheless, the bottom line in my opinion is experience, location, etc., not the specific type of bait one uses.

Dash4Cash
    Saukville, WI.

2Fishy4u, I agree with you on experience and location, but really disagree on the specific type of bait. Choosing the right lure for certain conditions plays a big role in bass fishing success. You would’nt want to throw a buzzbait in 43 degree water or a jig on bass feeding on minnows on the surface in 25 feet of water, sure you might catch a fish, but there are lures better suited for those conditions. Choosing the right lure plays a huge role in success. Just a thought, Carl

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I’ll chime in on your little “Love Fest.” JC, You ARE ARROGANT!”
    Wouldn’t have you any other way! Got to meet you up at the GTG, and had a lot of fun. I think what people will see with everyone is that everyone has their own personality and gig going. I love it! I am more of a lurker over here in the Swamp Water Forum. But it sure is fun coming over from time to time watching you guys beat the crap out of each other! I know for a fact on the water a lot of you guys are best friends, and that’s what makes this fun. But man! Add a little cabin fever, and you bassholes get nuts!
    Long live the walleye!
    Live and let live!
    Tuck

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.