Upper Miss Alt E feedback and meetings

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Greetings all. I’ve been reading the Upper Mississippi proposed Refuge Conservation plan Alternative E, with great interest. It is a vast improvement over the previously proposed plans. I really feel like they listened to the feedback from anglers like ourselves. They have a couple of meetings up-coming in Minnesota and more in other states. Here are the Winona and Wabasha dates. I hope to attend at least one of these and encourage others to turn out.

January 23
    Winona, Minn. St. Mary’s University, Toner Student Center, Hall of Fame Room, 700 Terrace Heights

January 24
    Wabasha, Minn. Wabasha-Kellogg High School, 2133 E. Hiawatha

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Do you know the times?

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

If no one knows I will find out soon and let it be known. Do you want to tailgate with me prior to the meeting Joe?

jhall
    Lake City, MN

HECK YES I DO!!!

I thought you fell off the face of the earth?

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

The times for the meetings start at 6:00pm ending at 8:oopm.
    Wabasha Jan 24 Tues.
    Winona Jan 23 Mon.

I don’t think there has been that much change made here on Pool 4.
    Still going to have a no fish zone which will not be enforced. Unless you are a law abiding sportsman the rest will be in the areas with “Oh I didn’t know” excuse.
    No motor areas same thing, and lets add a bunch of canoes to the area without any more enforcement to help watch out for them.
    I still don’t like it…but heck that is just me and I will express my thoughts in another letter to them.
    So get to your meeting and express your views.
    It will be for 15 years we live with this.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Pool 4 didn’t get much changed!! I believe the first meetings and plans were filled with so much B.S. that they now came up with a plan E that has thrown out much of the B.S. that they didn’t plan on implementing anyway just to try and show that they LISTENED to us.
    In my opinion the major components of plan D are still in tact in plan E, so it doesn’t please me in the least.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I almost fell off the earth. Caught myself at the last second.

fishnut

Trolling motor only areas? Why couldn’t they be no wake areas (Island 42, Schnieders lake)? Again you have the smallest user group (canoes) gaining the most. If an area is off limits to motors it should be off limits to everyone. Who says a canoe doesn’t scare a duck? I personally think that this duck excuse for these resting areas if very lame. Practices in agricultural have depleated the duck population more than anything. Growing up in Plainview we used to hunt the corn fields every fall and have a blast. Now all those fields are plowed under and no ducks. Ask your waterfowl guys and you’ll quickly find that most of the ducks are taking the Dakota’s due to the agricultural practices. As far as canoe trails? What the heck is that. Can’t you just paddle and go where you want to? If you want a boudary water experience go to the boundary waters. If we let something like this pass, you put more restrictions on everyone and the next thing you know someone else will feel invaded. Can’t we just get along? Maybe we ought to put in their proposal that “No non-motorized boats are allowed on the whole area, because they propose a safety hazard to themselves and everyone else?” Notice that the “Tuna Boats” have no restrictions put on them. I still can’t believe they came back with this as the answer. I do think having a biologist on every pool would be cool. But again the smallest user group is gaining the most. Their I fell better! Have a great New Year! Fishnut

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I really agree.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The smallest user groups gain the most because they hollar the most. I also think the DNR wants more control of the river than the Core gets and they should have more control than the Core but not to hurt the fishermen users who use the river ALOT more than the other backwater groups do by a long shot. Is there much pressure being put on by the larger bass fishing organizations for the DNR to back off on this? I would think that the bass organizations would be stronger than the ”bird” and ”nonmotorized people” would be. ALL of us fishermen need to band together for strength or we will lose even alot more over the years.
    Thanks, Bill

herb
    6ft under

How many of you actually think they would have gone with any of the other proposals? I think it was a big smoke screen to get most everyone agreeing to plan E, which was likely what they wanted in the first place.
    Why do we even have to agree with anything they come up with. Fight em guys! Letters, calls, emails, meetings. Fight em!
    Why in God’s name would you agree to anything that will hurt us in the end? Especially when they have proposed absolutely no new regs on the biggest problem maker on the river. I’m talking about the towing companies.
    The everyday sportsmen as a group, in a years time will put more money back into the coffers of the state’s DNRs and F&WS’s than any canoeist, bird watcher, or towing company. And as such, we should have the biggest voice in what takes place as far as who and what is regulated. The feds seem to easily forget just who is paying their wages.
    This bs about having to come up with a 15 year plan is just someone in the OFFICE trying to justify their job I think. I don’t ever remember reading about a law or rule stating that this has to happen.
    Fight em!

emover
    Malcom, IA

the man has spoken!

dave

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wow, Herb, tell us how you really feel I would have to agree with everything you said.

herb
    6ft under

I don’t know Mike. I just get pissed when those who think they have some power or position think they can bowl over the peons and nothing will stand in their way. You’d really be surprised how many folks that work for the F&WS are actually anti sportsman. This was backed up by a retired federal biologist I was talking to a few days ago in Wapello about this very subject.

riverfan
    MN

Guys,

If you are in the LaCrosse area you have a meeting tonight. Lots of other meeting in the next few weeks.
    Here is the meeting schedule:

Onalaska, Wisconsin Wednesday,
    Jan. 4 Conference Center at Stoney Creek Inn, Salon A
    3060 South Kinney Coulee Road

La Crescent, Minnesota Thursday,
    Jan. 5 La Crescent High School
    1301 Lancer Blvd.
    (use east parking lot)

McGregor District
    Lansing, Iowa Monday,
    Jan. 9 Lansing (Kee) High School
    569 Center Street.

Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin Tuesday,
    Jan. 10 Bluffview Intermediate School
    1901 E. Wells Street

Savanna District
    Savanna, Illinois Tuesday,
    Jan. 17 House of Events
    108 Main Street
    Dubuque, Iowa Wednesday,
    Jan. 18 Grand River Center, Room 6
    500 Bell Street

Winona District
    Winona, Minnesota Monday,
    Jan. 23 Toner Student Center, Hall of Fame Room
    St. Mary’s University
    700 Terrace Heights

Wabasha, Minnesota Tuesday,
    Jan. 24 Wabasha-Kellogg High School
    2133 E. Hiawatha Drive

brovarney

I just love the fact that they have not put any meetings in any of the major metropolitan areas (Madison, Milwaukee, chicago etc.) where the people that come to dump money into the river communities are located.

When should we have gotten worried …..”When they said bend over” or “This won’t hurt a bit”………..

jhall
    Lake City, MN

So are these the final meeting to show what they have come up with? In other words there will not be any changes made because they know what they are going to do?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Great timing, don’t they know there is a national championship game on tonight? Well, they probably do know, trying to keep as few of people there as they can.

I could have sworn this meeting was originally scheduled on this upcoming Saturday the 7th.

BomberA

Riverfan,

Do you know what time will the Wabasha meeting be?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Refuge plan draws fire

By ANNE JUNGEN | La Crosse Tribune

ONALASKA, Wis. — Tim Morgan of Stoddard, Wis., declared the plan the “beginning of the end of the most precious, unique thing in the world.”

Ken Visgor of La Crescent, Minn., said he thinks the plan makes “perfect sense” and adapts to the needs of a changing resource.

More than 170 people filled the Stoney Creek Inn conference room Wednesday for a public forum on the draft comprehensive conservation plan for managing the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge.

The preferred plan, known as Alternative E, was released Dec. 5 by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for 60 days of public review. The FWS on Tuesday extended the comment period by 30 days, to March 6.

Alternative E has many of the same elements as previous proposals: growth of FWS staff and services, more river access for nonmotorized recreation, land acquisition and the creation of “closed areas” in sensitive waterfowl feeding and resting sites on the river.

But it was thought to have shed many of the more contentious issues in previous versions of the plan, such as the proposal to limit waterfowl hunters to 25 shot shells a day and require 100-yard spacing between hunting parties, launch fees at boat ramps and a fee-based hunt at the Gibbs Lake area of Lake Onalaska.

Most of those at Wednesday’s forum, which appeared heavily made up of hunters and outdoor users, still found a lot they didn’t like about the plan.

The panel of three FWS employees was forced to silently listen rather than discuss as audience members vented their frustration.

Members of the crowd criticized the proposed plan as overly restricting use of motorized watercrafts, closing off too much usable hunting land and limiting areas where dogs can be run.

They also faulted the plan for not going far enough to counter river sedimentation, water quality and pollution and the exotic species that have made their way to the upper Mississippi.

Bert Knutson, a Onalaska sportsman, said he attended the meeting because it pertains directly to what he enjoys.

“(Alternative E) doesn’t address the problems the refuge has, like erosion control and invasive species,” he said.

Morgan also noted the alternative has pitted outdoors groups against one another.

One woman demanded the public comment period be extended another 30 days.

Ed Heberlein of La Crescent, Minn., was strongly against the restricted boat zones. “It’s ridiculous, and I don’t see how they can enforce that,” Heberlein said. “There’s no way they’re going to stop me, not unless they crash their boat into the side of mine.”

Under the plan, eight areas in the refuge would change to slow, no-wake designation from March 16 to Oct. 31, and all airboats and hovercraft use would be prohibited during the same period.

David Mikrut of La Crosse said Alternative E needed only some tweaking and was “getting close, but not there yet.“

When completed, the comprehensive plan will guide management and administration of the refuge for the next 15 years. Federal law requires comprehensive plans for all national wildlife refuges.

Refuge Manager Don Hultman said public comments “matter quite a bit” and will be heavily considered.

“People don’t like restrictions,” he said. “Many people think (Alternative E) is against fishing, hunting and trapping, and I don’t think that’s the case. It’s really about balancing the needs of all the people who use the river and refuge.”

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Slop. How many canoes or bird watchers have you seen back in those areas? One or two? How many fishermen? Tons? Think everyone here gets my point. Something VERY fishy going on here and its against fishermen in my opinion. I think the DNR forgets that ALOT of the money they earn and spend comes from a special tax on fishing equipement etc which means ”the fishermen” and if it wasn’t for the fishermen they wouldn’t have a paycheck.
    Thanks, Bill

brovarney

This plan will go thru if there are not enough visable complaints.

Take the time to tell the people that you elected to get their dogs under control.

This website will get you to the site with information that you need.

http://www.bassanglersltd.com/LegislatureInfo.htm

Good writing.

riverfan
    MN

Slop, thanks for the posting the article. It sounds like the message is getting out. Brad, the Wabasha meeting is scheduled from 6:00 till 8:00. Se you there!

John

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have heard from two guys who made the Onalaska meeting last night. They basically said they felt the FWS officials were basically running with this plan, and the public input really didn’t matter.

I think the only way any of this will be stopped is to go over the heads of FWS and get the legislators involved. Adn that will only happen if they receive alot of negative feedback directly.

What do others think? Have any here attended the meetings yet?

herb
    6ft under

I think Moss Boss is right. It’ll probably require divine intervention to get this stopped. Federal law mandated they have a 15 year plan. But federal law didn’t say they had to make any changes from what is already in place.
    Meetings are too far away for me to attend, but I sent email and also will get hold of my legislators.

riverfan
    MN

Lansing and PDC meetings this week.

John

brovarney

In the Sunday Milwaukee Journel they talked about this.

Only problem is that the guy only talked about the hunting end of it. No fishing or other use, or they fact that it was only being presented out along the river was brought up.

GOD please help us. The stupid are taking over………

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have to agree with alot that has been said on this.
    They only had 2400 letters in 2005. If we do not double or triple that number I am afraid the changes are really going to be untolerable. I have written the FWS and all three of my congress people that are on the committee. We only have until Feb 3 so I hope everyone is getting letters sent. web page Here is the link to all four states and the congress people involved.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Does anyone have a well written copy of a letter they could post on here, then Im sure #s would go up. I am willing to send one in, but not sure I have enough info (or time to get it) but if someone “in the know” more than me (and Im sure many others) has a bullet point letter in favor of fishermen please post it here so we can edit and send on to our appropriate senators. Just a thought, maybe not a good one. Thanks.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

This issue covers the whole Refuge Four states and a lot of river miles. Each area is effected with different proposals.
    I will attach an e-mail I sent and a letter. This is my opinions on Pool 4.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.