In Defense of Ray Scott

• fluker

I guess I’ve turned from a poster to a lurker more than anything. I haven’t said much about any of this, and I just want to say a few words and then I’m off to only a lowly lurker once again.

It’s really sad what is happening. But not surprising the least bit. For the past 10 years I’ve been a very avid “Internet Angler”. Visiting and posting on many Fishing related chat boards across the net. In the college days when I didn’t have the money or means to go fish that much, these boards were my fishing. I feel I’ve learned as much through the friends I met on these boards as I have on the water.

One of the things that has consistenly been pushed over the past 10 years, and more and more eash year, is “How can we grow our sport?” Well what ever that answer is, we’ve been doing it. It’s growing into a business just like NFL, NBA, NASCAR and the rest. Maybe it’s what some want, maybe some don’t want that, but the fact of the matter is, it is happening. Just like the rest of the “businesses”, there are MANY negatives that come with it. Each in there own special way. Fights in the crowd, suspension for unsportsmanship, etc.

Like each “business”, the organization has to grow as it grows. I think the business has outgrown its organization at this point, and there is going to be a rough transistion stage. Money is the root behind all business, and as bad as we hate it, it’s going to be a MAJOR factor at EVERY level (Pro to Federation) whether we like it or not.

I’ll shoosh from there. Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said already. However I HOPE that ALL of us, Federation to the CEO and even those on the outskirts, can try and handle this in the most positive way positive and focus all of our energy on an outcome that will suit everyone. Even thought that is NEVER possible, it’s still somethign we can shoot to achieve.

Ya’ll have a GOOD winter and try to use that cabin fever energy in the best way you can. Fish on!

Fluker

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Fluker,

With valuable posts like the one you just wrote, you should be posting more often!! I think you hit the nail right on the head. I foresee the next few years to be pivotel<sp?> in the shaping of the fishing (tournament) industry.

The one thing that will never change here are “Grassroot” fisherman. They are, and always WILL be the foundation for ALL fishing.

Working for a fortune 500 company myself, I know the bottom line is dollars and cents. BASS and ESPN are out to make money, and IMO, the grassroots of the federation don’t appear to be on their organizational Chart.

If BASS/ESPN knew what was best for them..they would simply “fix this”. Do whatever it takes too, b/c they are forgetting that Federation members/non-fed members, me, you, IDA’rs etc…are what make BASS/ESPN what it is, and you simply don’t just cut that loose.

In the business world, FLW has an opportunity to shift a very large demographic of anglers to benefit themselves. They’d be stupid not to jump on the opportunity. (as they have w/a 7 figure offer ). BASS will turn out to be the “bad guy” and FLW will reap all the benefits. AWESOME business opp. that just fell into their lap. (provided TBF goes that route).

evileye
    Milan Il

I would agree with Slop , your post was very interesting and informative,and just what makes sites like this great. Whatever you do ,don’t go back to being a lurker , we would all miss a your insight.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I got to shake hands with Ray about ten years ago.I feel fortunate to have had that chance.Watching him in person I was impressed with his ability to quickly read and talk to people and make them feel comfortable.In this information age, a lot of that is lost in the captions and sound bites.

BIGDADDY280

Fluker,
    WOW!!! Great Post Please comment more often. These forums inside IDA are some of the best in the industry. More to the point, you get a more diverse opinion throughout the fishing culture. In large part to the geography and “types” of fishing personalities.
    Ray Scott is the architect, builder, and eventually “watch-dog” of the Pro Bass Fishing Playground. With this being said, This is playing out more as a soap-opera than a business considerations. Hmmm,!! let us look closer,… Media involvement!! Publicity hype, finger pointing, terse words, for that matter hurtful words! To what end?? Promotion!!!! Money is Not the root of all evil, the LOVE of it is!!! In the end Flukers analysis is right on!!! Two BIG BIG pots of Money, FLW and BASS. What quicker way to grow membership and profits get into the other POT.. This whole thing seems way to convenient and orchestrated. I think that many of us really do not KNOW the whole story. Mushroom Mentality; fed crap and keep in the dark. However makes for fantastic reading and conjecture!!!! By the way Jimmy Johnson good Luck at the Fed Championship!!!

champman
    la crosse

thx big daddy, hopefully this isn’t the last year for the fed. in the classic. i’ve been a fence setter on this whole thing- and i still think there’s more to the story than what’s being told. What ever way it sways- the single most important motivator for the organization is to be able to fish against the big dogs for a day and prove our fishing prowess.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Champman- hopefully you will be fishing against them for all 3 days. Good luck.

BIGDADDY280

Jimmy!!, Package is on it’s way!!!! In the end all that matters is fishing and the sport of fishing!! Way too many people (who only know how to enjoy the Outdoors through $4,000.00 2day hunts or $5,000.00 fishing trips to South America) are operating under the assumption Pro Bass Tournaments will end up like NASCAR. They have sniffed to many glue bottles!!! Those same glue bottles they are using trying to keep everything together after their leaderships shows a lack thereof by “AIRING” dirty laundry and without much class “spanks” the leadership of the very fiber (Federation) that enabled BASS to propel its self to the top of Pro Fishing. Pro fishing is a culture. You have to enjoy fishing personally in order to enjoy watching it on TV. What those leaders do not understand is that those who are not completely driven by fishing will not watch it on the tube. They will buy, they have proven, they will not WATCH. Which brings you back to media , ratings, Money, ect. Enter Mr. Jacobs. He is an opportunist!! He was handed a gift!! Customers, Clients, Members (who are extremely loyal) that were just recently sat in the corner. All he wants to do is give them a chance to choose!!! I think the FED. is in an enviable position!! Sit back relax and watch the match. What could be better??!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

For the uneducated walleye crowd, where/when you fishing Jimmy?? I’d love to follow along and cheer for any IDA member, even you bass guys.

Fluker,
    I’ve read a lot of posts on IDA over the years. I hope you continue to post. The info you conveyed was precise, well thought out and easy to read. Please keep posting!! The bass guys need all the help they can get in here.

BIGDADDY280

Very interesting article in the Dec.5 Sports Illustrated!! Sitting here in my easy chair on a Sunday Afternoon decided to catch up on some recreational reading!!! Starting on what would normally be page 70 “Kickin’ Some Bass!” appeared!!! It startled me !!!! I went back to the line-up in the front of the magazine and NOT even a mention??! Curious, A magazine the size of this, you would think there would be P.R., Nope!!! The article is not even listed in the page count. Now for the info. When you read the article a lot of answers start to magically appear!!! This is not so much about Iaconelli, but, the change in course Bass Fishing is currently undertaking!! Amazing! NO need to speculate anymore it is all there for everyone to read. I can not believe this was BURIED!!!!

champman
    la crosse

i’ll be fishing on the Harris Chain in Florida January 11-13th. this will be aired on espn2 sometime in the near future

danwi
    westby wi

If you havent been on it before you will love the Harris chain

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.