swim jig colors

• popeye
    n e iowa

With all the posts on here about swim jigs, I would like some opinions from you guys as to which colors work best, and for what time of year. I have had good luck on black/ blue, also white/ white trailer. Am I missing something better? I have some team sup. and rc tackle jigs, I know I need some Brovarney too, appreciate the help thanks.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I feel that some of it confidence, but in some situations, color does play a much bigger role. in the spring, black blue and brown/orange works well due to the fact that bluegills are the primary forage. Play with the trailer colr to accent the presentation. With Black/blue, sometimes I will use a black, blue, or I use junebug. In the fall, Shad and minnows become the main forage, so adjust your colors accordingly. Whites and even translucent colors become productive.

Hope this helps, these are some things that work for me, but there are numbers of get swimjig fishermen out there that can more than likely give you more info.

Bassman

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I don’t believe there is a “magic” color for a given time of the season. I believe we can rationalize and try to make sense of why a bass eats my blue jig in the spring and white jig in the fall, but to be honest with you I can catch good fish throwing white jigs in the spring and blue jigs in the fall.

As Bassman said, it truley is a confidence thing. I believe if you find feeding fish you can throw a kids shoe in some pads and have a bass blow on it.

You need varification? Look at the wacky colors BC uses and he still catchs fish. He uses colors that makes as much sense to me as a bass eating a bubble gum colored fluke!

– d-nort

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

Dave I noticed you didn’t bring up the time Toxic Waste (Purple and yellow w/ Orange Trailer (Jap Red)) smoke you. Color does matter, most of the colors I use are not text book but very visable. I very rarely use standard colors, but I can tell you we sell alot of dark in the fall and during the shad hatch white shoots off the chart. But I would have to say that 50% of jig swimming is presentation and the 50% is having the right color on. If they are short stricking and stealing tails , swap out your trailer with another color. When you find the right color combo all you should see is the eye of the jig hanging out there mouth . One of the biggest keys I have found with keying in a swim jig color is be willing try anything, don’t be stuborn cause you caught them on that color last week. If you saw what jig colors were in my box or what many of the River rats have in their boxes. You would wonder what and heck are they thinking, but the real question what are you not thinking ? Just on outside the box view.
    Casey Hewes
    President
    Brovarney Baits
    And yes the Travelling Tackle Box will be in Prarie this weekend.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

You need varification? Look at the wacky colors BC uses and he still catchs fish. He uses colors that makes as much sense to me as a bass eating a bubble gum colored fluke!

– d-nort

Haha D-Nort…just admit it, if you were a bass, you’d eat it!

I think color does matter as well. Normally you’d like to choose a color that the fish can see easily, whether it be in clear or dirty water. Also, matching the forage is also always good idea. Which is my reasoning behind using the “Sunfish Colored” swim jig!

popeye
    n e iowa

Thanks for the info, I have been a little stuborn on trying different color combos but this weekend I’ll pull my head out and try some different combos.Thanks again, Jerry

Gotfish
    My House

ok forget the jigs. when everyone is useing swim jigs this winter just after the ice goes out put on a bottom bouncer and a minnow. only single hook with a 2 foot leader. last year i had 2 walleyes 26 and 28 inches around 6 pounds. try it and i think ull like it

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Ok, OK! So maybe I believe color does matter in SOME cases. I, too, have been known to throw some pretty wacky colors. That being said, I will NORMALLY work a spot with a color I believe should work and leave it rather than try 5 different color jigs. Call it “run and gun”, “power fishing” or whatever, I just would rather cover five times as much water than cover the same spot with 5 different color lures.

But honestly, yes, I do have 20 different colored jigs in my boat .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.