Anyone ever fish…….

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Have any of you ever fished the mississippi between homer mn and the damn by Trempealeau Wi. We just built a new house in the little town of pickwick and would like to drop the boat in and one of the little landings closer to home along highway 61. There is a little channel off the main channel that has some good looking areas. Anyways just wondering if anyone has fished the area. Thanks Jason

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Your looking at some very shallow water in that area but some good fishing, I’d focus on the wing dams and the channel markers. If you have never fished wingdams, just ask people who are fishing them, I think you will find that most will tell you a little more then you think you need to know. The boat harbor by Trempealeau is good in the spring. But from now until winter, main channnel is the place to fish.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Agree with Buzz…

The rocks along the tracks south of Perrot State Park can offer some sizable fish, esoecially this time of year. FLip em with tubes or crank it with a shad style bait.

Best lauch that I use to get on 6 is at Perrot State Park, but you do need a state park sticker. They just redid the laucnh this year. With low water (like now) the duck weed can be a little thick. I launch a Ranger 185, so it can be done with larger boats, but be careful, directly back behind the launch is a shallow mucky flat.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

When you guys are talking about shallow water are you talking about the Wisconsin side or the Minnesota side. I tried fishing the Minnesota side for a little while and had some decent luck. Is there any wingdams that I should watch out for going across the channel to the Wisconsin side if I want to try those rocks over there. THanks again guys.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I don’t know 6 that well to tell you. Most of my luck has come south of Perrot on the Wisconsin side. There is a S-H-A-L-L-O-W area behind an island next to the tracks that does hold fish most of the year (especially, Spring). Water is ususally clear and fish spook easily. There is always “some” current which is what keeps this area alive. IMHO

Rocks, and drown timber on the MN side north of Trempeleau mountain is also a decent area, north of the camping area.

Good luck!

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Thanks for the help. Don’t mean to sound stupid, but what is Tremp. Mountain? I have never heard of that. Also when you are talking about the campground are you talking about the Pla-more campground or am I missing another one. Thanks again.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Yup – just north of the Pla-more.

Tremp Mountain is the Big island bluff just outside Perrot State Park – you can fish behind it, too… but there aren’t fish there….

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey Thanks a lot reel guy you have been very helpful. Now if I can only find some time to get out there and fish that would be great. I have a 17′ Nitro 170DC if your ever in the area fishing stop and say hi. Jason

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.