“No Cull” Everstart?

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Interesting.

Any thoughts on that 2nd to last paragraph?

Is it fair to other tournament circuits?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

We knew at the beginning of the year there were going to be a select few tournaments through out the year that were on the “test” list to lift the no-cull rule. (Wissota was one)

I don’t think fair comes into play here b/c it is part of a “test” group.

However, I think it’s a good thing, and hopefully the beginning of the lift of such a silly rule.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

It is worth noting that the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has lifted the “no cull” rule for the EverStart Series event.

Slop;
    I think it is “worth noting” to put that info into their website. For the vast majority of people reading that will throw the “BS” flag on the table.

Not good PR on behalf of the FLW to state they are getting “preferred” treatment.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Any idea where people can find that “Test List?” I’d also like to see what their “findings” were.

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

What is interesting is that Wisconsin has lifted the no cull law. What about Minnesota? What if a Mn DNR officer catches one of the anglers culling?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

If i’m not mistaken, since the tourney is listed out of WI, and a WI license is needed, then WI rules apply. MN can’t do anything.

I think they’re allowing 10″ bullheads for this tourney too..lol…jk Briank

buzz4469
    Plainview, MN

Does it matter because the missippi is a border water and the border waters rules apply and I don’t think there are any culling rules on the border waters correct me if I am wrong

BomberA

I think they gathered a lot of data from the E50 on Wissota with all the fish that were culled…wait a minute, nevermind.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I always wondered if it was really just,Don’t ask don’t tell in a lot of tourneys.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I always wondered if it was really just,Don’t ask don’t tell in a lot of tourneys

Spin, that’s the way it is…..2 years ago there was a HUGE debate on here about the entire culling subject….It got pretty heated.

We don’t want to start that again for sure, but the fact of the matter is, you won’t compete unless you do. This wouldn’t even be an issue if WI would join the other 48 states or whatever that ALLOW culling.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I was at the Redman the year after the big blow up at the first All-American.The winner is up on stage and says”I must have caught fifty fish today”And the tourney director says”You mean,you caught a limit”He nodded his head.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

must’ve been, or he reached over and unhooked that many beside the boat

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

It is worth noting that the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has lifted the “no cull” rule for the EverStart Series event.

Slop;
    I think it is “worth noting” to put that info into their website. For the vast majority of people reading that will throw the “BS” flag on the table.

Not good PR on behalf of the FLW to state they are getting “preferred” treatment.

That’s what I was getting at. IF it was common knowledge that there would be certain tourneys exempt from the culling law, why word it the way they did?

I can honestly tell you, I had no idea there would be tourneys exempt from the culling law.

Basically, the whole culling issue has been “don’t ask, don’t tell” in all Bass circuits.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

At Wissota they gave out forms to document how much culling you did.I expect we will be given them at the Everstart as well.I just hope to have at least one day, with a reason to fill out the form.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo;

Tell me true………….

Is this “no-culling test” being worked out with the “big leagues”???????

Are the bigger “circuits” pushing for the “test”.

Sorry, but this really sounds like a good “conspiracy theory”………..

mikem
    SE Minnesota

It sounds like Wi. trying to draw in more tourism $

luv2fish
    Marion, IA

This was announced by the Wisconsin DNR sometime over the winter? After the big push for legislation to be lifted last year, the DNR agreed to look into it further–hence the reason for a few select tournaments to allow culling. It’s a good thing!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Sounds good and all………just kinda “funny”………

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I agree

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m not a tournament guy, and I finally own a boat with a livewell in it so I’m kind of a rookie here…..but isn’t this a lot more complicated than simply “cull or no-cull” ? How about water temp? Cooler water has to be better than when it’s hot. What if you add ice to the livewell? What if you’re trying to cull Walleyes you just yanked up through 35 feet of water? What if it was a Bass caught in 2 feet of water? Are Bass “tougher” than Walleyes? Are you skating a Bass into the boat in 1.2 seconds with 80# line and a pool cue, or did you have to fight her for 15 minutes with a spinning rod and 6# line?
    Has the WI or MN DNR looked at tourney results in other states to see what has really happened?

Or am I asking too many questions

Rootski

brovarney

The following question (#28) is from the state of Wisconsin Spring Hearings last spring. That should give you an idea of what is being conducted.

From the Wisconsin State Hearings 2005

Question 28 – Fishing Tournament Fees

2003 Wisconsin Act 249 called for the Department to establish a bass tournament pilot program under which the Department will issue 4 permits per year for 2005 and 2006 authorizing participants to cull bass. Act 249 specifies that the department, in cooperation with the Wisconsin Bass Federation, shall conduct research and collect data for the purpose of evaluating the pilot program. This act also allows the department to specify fees for fishing tournament permits.

28. Do you favor requiring a fee for fishing tournament permits sufficient to fully fund research studies and data collection to effectively evaluate the pilot program and to pay for the administration and enforcement of tournament fishing?

I hope this information is helpful to those new to the argument.

Other places to look:

If you go to the Wisconsin Bass federation message board you can get a pretty good look at how the inititive started with fishermen who got their legislature involved and got a bill passed which forced the DNR to at least go through the motions of investigating culling and it’s impact on Bass tournements, the local economy and the Bass.

Prior to this the stance has always been no. No Research, No Culling, No Action, No Results.

In the course of pushing this through the legislature a fairly large body of research into the culling issue, the economic impact of Bass tournements, semi-professional/professional fishing as a viable sport and testimony from some of the larger tournement organizations (including BASS and FLW) was presented. The results were enough to convice the legislature that the issue warrented investigation.

The knee jerk reactions to what to some, new information, will only serve to muddy the waters once again.

Please take the time to look at the history of this prickly situation.

I think that you will find that it will serve to benifit the bass and the economy.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

I believe this will be only the second culling tourney out of this years test phase…which tourney gets the third?

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

The third tourney is the Wisconsin Bass Federation 4-man open, I beleive.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

whoa there rbp. I don’t think anyone was putting down FLW tournaments. Everyone was just having a constructive conversation about this since it is new to all of us to see it on the river. On a side note, its fine for them to try it, especially since their tournys are on such a large scale, its a good way to get the most imformation in the shortest amount of time. But….it would be unfair if after all the research is in, they decided to only let certain tournaments have culling. IMO

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I was trying to agree with Luv2Fish,but the order of posting didn’t make it look that way,thanks

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Quote:

I always wondered if it was really just,Don’t ask don’t tell in a lot of tourneys.

As this is true in many tourneys around the state, it is made VERY clear to NOT cull at the Everstarts on the river. At least the Everstarts which I have fished on the river including last years out of Red Wing. I personally fished with Ritter on day 4 and watched him throw back his 3rd keeper because it was not 2 1/2 lbs. After that the rest went in the box. Like Ritter, everyone else I have drawn obeyed the no-cull during Everstarts.

I believe the DNR is going to get tons of data from the tournament. Unlike Wissota where there was like 1 SINGLE FISH culled out to study!!! I can just picture a half dozen DNR officers chasing around a single 14″ smallie for post-cull info.

Does anyone know where I can get a balance-beam for next week?

brovarney

For those of you who have missed it…..

The DNR is now taking applications for the Four events next year that will recieve culling exemptions.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

will we get to see what they have found out about the resaerch they did?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.