Snake ?

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Hey guys my girlfriend and I were out fishing on Monday and we were sitting in the backwaters of 5A when we noticed a snake sitting in the open water by us. She got a little nervous but it wasn’t bothering us so I just left it. Well all of a sudden if makes a charge at the boat so I wait until it gets right next to me at the boat and pushed its head away with my pole. It then goes under the boat and comes up at the back of the boat and starts to come into the boat so I grabbed my oar from under the seats and tried to push it back in the water, but as soon as it would go back in the water it would circle the boat right next to us and try it again so I finally smacked it good with the oar before my girlfriend jumped out of the boat. Anyways my question is what kind of snake do you think it was. It was about 3 feet long and about 2 1/2″ around. The body was tan with big black spots with little white spots in the middle. I have never seen a snake so brave. He wasn’t scared of us at all and it isn’t like we startled him or anything. He just charged the boat. Oh well I got a good laugh out of it.

joeyko13
    Sugar Grove, IL

Hognose or a Bullsnake maybe?

danwi
    westby wi

I had one do that to me last yr in goose .Even had the wife in the boat that day

brovarney

I had a friend that was scared to death of them.

We tied a rubber one to the lid of his livewell.

When he flipped open the livewell for boat check he almost hit the pier

Don’t try this at home

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Hey Bobber–did you read this post? Any idea what kind of snake it was? Sorry, had to post this for ya!

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Almost has to be a water snake, look it up on yahoo or someplace and get a picture. Watersnakes are aggressive at times. We had a little mink act like he wanted to attack us from shore once, but he turned around about halfway out to the boat. Animals can be different.

bass addict
    Eagan, MN

Had a water snake do that to us years ago at Dresbach. Only thing we could figure is he was attracted by the heat of the motor or the boat itself. He came in over the transom of the Ranger and my buddy wanted to waste him right in the boat with the .22 and birdshot.

Sherm65

Hey Boom,
    Dad and I were talking about that today while we were fishing at Geode. Dad Seems to remember being in that Ranger with Jim

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

There are plenty of bull snakes around the water and your description sounds like one as well. Here’s a photo.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Hoefully this works. Here’s a photo of a water snake.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Sorry, will try once more.

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

Sounds like I will have to add a shotgun to my equipment list. If it doesn’t have legs, or bleeds for a week w/o dying, it CAN’T be trusted!!!

redneck
    Rosemount

Sounds like it would have been a dead snake if I had been in the boat. I have no fear of them but you can only take so much and then they got to go. Did I just post in the Bass forum—hmmm, I better go fishing.

bass addict
    Eagan, MN

No Lancer, your dad was in another boat. Jim walked backwards off the rear casting deck to avoid the snake and collapsed my spinner bait box and then went looking for the .22.

djmr
    Holmen, WI

I think you guys might enjoy these pictures for all you snake lovers out there. This happened last summer, one of the warmest weekends of the year, I took the wife and kid out to the sand bar for the afternoon, and messed around there for a couple hours. This was on pool 7 and after we left the sand bar we decided to head down to dresbach dam and turn around and come back well on the way down river I just happened to look back and I saw something moving around my hydraulic steering cables and low and behold I had the camera with…..check out what I saw hangin on for dear life!

djmr
    Holmen, WI

Did your snake look like this one?

djmr
    Holmen, WI

another pic

djmr
    Holmen, WI

This is where he was heading…

djmr
    Holmen, WI

This is where he ended up…

djmr
    Holmen, WI

Last one…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It is a water snake. This happens a number of times in the backwaters of Pool 3. I don’t know what causes them to do this, but they really do try to get in the boat!

brovarney

I think we may have just found D-Norts weakness.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah it looked exactly like that. Is that just considered a water snake or is it some other species of snake. Thanks for the info. Great pics by the way.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

If any snake got in my boat, I would be in the water . Oh, by the way. I HATE SNAKES!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Did it look like this? This one tried to get in a boat with me in Pool 3 last year.
    Tuck

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah it looked just like that. Someone told me that they are not dangerous, but will bite and can leave a nasty infection. Oh well I will be a little more prepared next time instead of trying to hit it with the oar.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Buzz;

I would have beaten that thing with the Oar, anchor, tackle box, steering wheel, and whatever else I tear out of the boat, and then trimmed up the motor, and thru it at the prop! YUCK!!!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t mind snakes at all.

Now if a centepede or a few wasps are in the boat, I may be taking a dive over the side.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Moss~

Remember up on 5A last year when I got that water snake to strike my swim jig…..he had it in his mouth and was swimming away w/it, ended up tearing off the grub tail…Good times!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.