Favorite way to peg your sinkers

• Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

I know it has been asked many times, but what are your favorite ways to peg your sinkers on you plastics. Has anyone ever taken a small split shot and closed it above your slip sinker and do you think that would work. Just wondering what you guys all use.

birddog
    Mn.

Bead and a bobber stop.

BIRDDOG

donriverman
    Augusta, WI

Closing a small split shot above the slip sinker is a quick way of pegging a slip sinker. It has been used for at least 35 years and probably much longer. Lindy later marketed this technique in which they substituted a modified swivel for a split shot. Next we will probably hear how Bird Dog is marketing the same technique using a bead and slip bobber knot.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Slop’s right, toothpicks work great. And as I get older I want to carry fewer sinkers around with me

Rootski

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I know lots of people that use toothpicks. Lots of people have success using them, but in the back of my mind when I would push that toothpick into the weight I always wondered if it was damaging my line.

So, I switched up to rubber bands. There are a couple ways to use rubberbands and be successful. The first and simplest method is to take a thin band and tie a knot with it at the head of the weight. Some people leave the strands so they act like part of the plastic.

Another way, and this is how I rig mine, is take a thin strand rubberband and tie a piece of mono to it. The mono should be long enough to hold on to when you pull it through the weight. In one hand pull the mono through the weight and with the other hand stretch the band so the weight slips over the band. When you release the rubberband it’s contraction will keep the weight snug with no pinching. From there you can cut off the excess or leave it to act like legs on the front of your worm. It’s a little work but it has its advantages.

The reason I like this method best, is because if I need to switch up fast to something like a split-shot rig, light weight carolina or mojo rig, all I have to do is slide the weight up. The pressure caused by the rubberband resists slipping.

Lastly, another avenue to explore is using Gambler Florida Rig weights. These screw into the plastic and work extremely well.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

toothpicks are ok if you use the flat ones. I do use rubber band though.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

By the way…does anyone know where to get the flat toothpicks? You’re right, those do work better than the conventional toothpicks in the grocery store.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Liquor store. they should be between the really big olives and the fun little plastic swords….

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

I use a rubber bobber stop.

crbasser
    IA

If you don’t like the idea of stuffing stuff in against your line, and don’t mind spending a little money, try a jobee style jig. For those of you who never heard of it, the jobee style has the weight and sinker as one piece, it’s set up just like a texas rig.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

You could also use a large round split shot (kind without the “ears”). This works well when fishing around rocky areas. Bullet weights tend to wedge into rocks and can make for a frustrating day. Using a split shot isnt completely snag proof but its better than using a bullet sinker I think. Also the split shot can be moved up and down the line for different presentations. I’ve found this to work really well when fishing wing dams with senko’s or lizard.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Oooohhh…I could get in trouble in a liquor store!

curt
    Winnebago, MN

I use rubber nails. One version is found on page 201 of the BassPro “The Bass Book” catalog and are named T-stops. They are tapered so you can slide the small end through the bottom of the sinker until it protrudes out the top. Simply pull it snug and clip the ends. Much like a rubber band, it doesn’t pinch the line but it hold pretty darn snug. I’ve been using them for the past 4 years on mojo rigs as well.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I agree with Curt,
    you can find weights with a slightly larger line hole, and the tapered rubber stoppers go in very easy, pull em through, cut them off and go fish, you can also slide the bait up the line away from the bait. really like these rubber nails for very small weights with small plastics.
    Jack..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.