backwater bass fishing

• baw

Could somebody please give some some insight on the art of Bakwater fishing. I just don’t get it. I’m fishing pool 4 but I guess it doesnt really matter. I have fished a lot of backwater with limited success. Yet I keep hearing all these reports of people catching good numbers, and size way back in these hard to reach shallow, shallow spots. Every time I go back into spots that are that shallow you can see bottom and there isnt much going on. What do people look for in these spots.

Thanks a lot.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

A backwater doesn’t necessarily constitute shallow water. To me it’s basically any area (sloughs, cuts, shutes, bays) that are off the main river channel. Things to look for are tree laydowns, rocks piling, points, current breaks, weeds, etc……the list can go on an on….

Find area’s like that and fish accordingly

pitbull
    Too far from the river

somebody is trolling and slop is about to get his lips jerked off

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Yeah- its hard to explain, but you just get this wierd tingly feeling in your gut when you know you came to the right spot…I doubt that helps..but it works for me! I look for 3-5 foot water this time of year, with scattered weed beds and i throw spinners for my best success. Brush and stumps with buctails works just as good-if not better

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Time on the water. It’s just going to take time. I’ve spent the last 10 years on P4 and still have a hard time trying to figure out seasonal patterns in the backwaters. But here is what I’ve found out:
    First places to hit are the marinas by Wabasha and Lake City. Use spinners and Jerk Baits. Then try the back water rivers like the Zumbro. Go all the way to the end and work back out. You’ll get a feel of where the fish are after awhile. Also try fishing just off the main current on any of the wing dams. The more visible the dam the better. And if the water is warmed above 60 degrees head out on Pepin. Start at Camp Lucopolis and work that whole MN side up till you run out of rocks. Spinners and Jerk Baits. That should be a good for starters. And if all else fails go down there this weekend when there is a tourney and see where the boys are fishing. Then after their gone see what their fishing but don’t fish it. That’s just not right. But go back there another day and throw a bait or two. Hope it helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.