First outing of the Year…

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Dad (Loan-A-Ranger) and myself just returned from a LONG drive weekend… Just south of Marion, IL a little lake call Lake of Egypt. Thought you might like a recap…

Fished Saturday Noon-6PM… Partly Cloudy, mid-50’s and a N/NW wind ~20 MPH (good chop on the water, as you might imagine). A few days prior, 5″ of rain fell, bringing the water level up and the water temp down to 56 on the northend (by the power plant) and 52 on the south end. Weed growth had little to no start, over-wintered vegetation only real cover, along with standing timber and point breaks. We fished relatively easy and enjoyed our firt outing, boating only 9 legal fish, with a 4.5 pounder to cap off the day… I was a little fired up, as you might tell..

Fitting, and well done, was Dad got the first one of the year in his boat… Nice job, Dad! Now, he caught it yo-yo-ing a White Lethal Weapon Swin Jig… Here is the sad part… we stopped using white (we cannot figure out why, we just did.) Later, like 4 PM, I started throwing a white tube… amazing… we caught fish. White spinners, white cranks, white tubes, white jigs… this was the answer for us… And, fishing the old hydrylla mats. Was fun!

Sunday we awoke to BLUE BIRD skies… 38 degrees… and a 55 boat BFL tourney… We waited for the launch to clear and fished ~7:30-11. Pattern remained consistent, but surface temp cooled and fish moved deeper, but the reaction bite was still there.

We have more pictures, and I will post later. All told, if you haven’t been down there, it is a unique body of water with plenty of action.

Dad – a great trip. Thanks for letting me drive your boat… once!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Where’s the picture of this alleged 4.5 lb’r? Did you or your Dad catch it?

BomberA

Sounds like you had a good time. Is that you or Iaconelli?

wgeister
    Dundee, IL

Slop: The fish was a legit 4.5#er. Measured a bit more than 21″. Reel Guy will have a couple of more pictures soon as I can send them.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Looks like you’re going IKE!!!!! Great fish! Wish I was there.

riverfan
    MN

A dandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Nice fish, Reelguy!

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Took awhile, but here is the FIRST fish of the 2005 season for my dad’s rig… sure was a good thing he caught it!

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

And a picture of just how “clean” the fish are in LOE… the fish really are pretty down there… wonder the difference?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.