Evinrude vs Mercury… Question

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Mercury Optimax vs Evinrude FICHT, say 2002 vintage. Anyone have any experience with these motors? Anyone tell me the primary differences? Features/Benefits? Advantages/disadvantages?

From what I can tell, Mercury certainly has the leg up on reputation and associated SMART controls, but beyond than… it appears that fuel economy, emmissions, low-end vs high-end torque all seem to be fairly consistent. Certainly from a volume perspective, Mercury wins this hands-down.

I do know that in 99 & 00 FICHT got a bad rap due to some poor quality. But in 01 when Bombardier bought them out, they reinvested and in 02 redesigned and engineered the product. (This is why I focused on 02). Regardless, 99-current model years… what can anyone offer in the way of experiences?

scottsteil
    Central MN

It sounds like you have answered your own question pretty much. My personal preference in 02 would have been the FICHT.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks, Scott… I didn’t mean to answer it… I can really only look at technical specs on Opti vs FICHT…. I do have experience running around in my old man’s Opti. Its quiet and starts EASILY every time… Does the FICHT?

They are both engineered differently, but what I was hoping to spur was “on the water” experience differences…

I’d hate to start a “Ford Guy” vs “Checy Guy” discussion.

scottsteil
    Central MN

It sounds like you did your homework, which is good. In 2002 I was running a Yamaha but I seriously considered the FiCHT. I think they made some real positive changes after Bombardier bought them. BRP is a good company and I think they will continue to produce quality products. I would have no problem buying any older Evinrude now.

It comes down to whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally have never had any luck with Mercury Motors. That is just my opinion though.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

I run a 01 150 FICHT, quiet good on gas at moderate speeds. Only one outing in weather that was going down to 10 degrees at night did I have a starting issue. Next time I’ll bring a heated blanket to cover the 150. I’d buy another one.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Scott,
    What years were the rudes having issues with the ficht?
    I know everyone has growing pains but I would not buy a fict in the bad years not would I buy a PoptaMax from 2000-2002. Not bashing just stating the obvious. I think the Ficht was pre BRP.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC – When BRP bought OMC’s Evinrude and Johnson, they reinvested in the FICHT line to fix some issues, including a improved gear casing in the lower unit, injectors, redesigned fin, and a host of other improvements in the 2002 model year. BRP manufactured the FICHT for the remainder of 01, 2002, and 2003, and into 2004. Its my interpretation that the E-tec is only a redesigned model year of the FICHT concept and renaming it E-Tec. Engineering Specs and discussions indicates this (I’ve been wrong before, however). So, good marketing going on at Evinrude (BRP) to improved their market share and regain their name due to the “bad rap” the FICHT engine earned in the late 90’s.

scottsteil
    Central MN

JC, there were some issues in 99. They had nothing to do with BRP, as they were not in the picture at the time. BRP has done nothing but make positive changes in my eyes. I think they have a good vision for the future and I would have no problem buying an older FICHT.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Don’t get me wrong… Evinrude’s new motor one one heck of a motor and according to everything I have seen is the best on the market… That being said I think BRP has done an incredable job of taking what many considered a poor design and making one that turns heads. My hat is off to them.
    jc

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’ve got an 02′ 200 hp. FICHT now. Had it since new. Probably 450 hours. Its never left me stranded. Only the most minor of problems like a fuse in the engine, etc. As far as gas milage, I know for a fact it is 1/3 if not more efficient than the Yamaha HPDI’s. I love it and it really runs out too. I haven’t ever really babied it either. It keeps right up if not faster than the 200 HO’s. So knock on wood for me, but thats my personal experience.

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

If mercury had any faith in it’s optimax, it wouldn’t have invested all the cash and time developing those new monstrosities (verado). I am biased as my dad works at BRP’s research facility in Waukegan. I got to watch an advance copy of the E-TEC infommercial….WOW. Lots of head to head tests, a real eye-opener. The ficht injection system is a much simpler design than the optimax, and objectively, less is more.

Jason.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

Bought a 2001 Merc 200 Optimax brand new. I am now on the 4th powerhead. I now that there were issues with this year class as they attempted to make upgrades to the fuel rails and brain box. The good news is that it only cost me time on the water. The bad news is that my warranty is gone. The latest powerhead is a “dressed powerhead” which is basically the entire 2003 motor except the lower unit and cowling. I ran all last year and no problems. The only thing that bothers me is I now feel like I am floating in the breeze. If something goes haywire now I am basically screwed. I thought that Merc should extend the warranty more that they did. They added 6 months to the warranty, but that got me through last year. I won’t buy another Merc.

Mr Ronnigen, that Evenrude did plow through those waves in South Dakota did it?

Tbass

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I had a 2000 150 Ficht (OMC), and a 2001 OptiMax 175, and a 2003 Ficht(BRP). The Ficht concept is owned by a German family who licensed the technology to Evinrude, and also Polaris for some of their watercraft. The problems with the early Ficht motors was the injector angle was out of whack, and for lack of a better description were spraying onto the plugs. OMC tried to quick fix the problem, which failed in some people’s opinion. They redesigned the heads, and recalled all of the motors. This was a multimillion $ ordeal which in many peoples mind sunk them financially. The design of the motor and technology from then on has been rock solid. BRP has done a fantastic job supporting the old motors, and new as well! The newer technology E-TEC, is completely different from the Ficht. The only comparrison you can make is that they are direct injection, and smokeless. I had the Smart gagues on the 175 OptiMax, and enjoyed the motor. But nothing will get you out of the hole faster than a Rude! Gas mileage too! I was prefishing for the Wave Wacker a few years ago with a site member here with a Ranger and a 225 Opti. He spent a lot more time at the pump than I did with my 225 Ficht. His was a 620 Ranger, and mine a Crestliner TS 202. We covered pretty much the same areas, and my gas consumption was minimal compared to his.
    I know this can get to be an exposive subject, so please don’t let it get that way. I felt I had a little to offer because I have had all of the motors in question.
    I hope that helps!
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Also, the site member I am referring to has been through numerous heads on his Opti. If he wants to chime in, great. I won’t divulge his identity.
    Tuck

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Ya it sure did. Were you my 1st day partner? I remember whoever that was, was from Ill.

bassinfever
    Wausau, WI

I have a 2001 optimax 225 and it let loose in 2001 and again in 2004. It was out of warranty but Mercury covered it. They sent the powerhead, injectors, and reeds and I had to put a new water pump, filters, plugs, and drive belt. The reason I think they did this is because there was a class action lawsuit on all optimax motors made in 2000 thru 2002. It was settled in sept. 2004. They will warranty it until july 2005.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

My 01 ficht 75 runs like a top. Before this I had a yammie 115 but it was carbed. While I was stationed in Jax Fla. I knew several guys who’s opti’s in saltwater duty were blowing up. Not trying to make this into a peeing contest, but merc will never see any of my money.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

Ya Eric that was me. I am from Illinois but fished on the Wisconsin team. I’m still wringing the water out of my underwear. Man that last day was brutal. Oh, by the way, thanks for spanking me on my own fish. And thanks for the tubes!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Ya that was fun. Good largies you had, fun catching em’ too. The waves were very testing to say the least. I thought Pepin can get a little rough, now thats nothing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.