Starting my bass season on Friday!

• robby
    Quad Cities

A good bud will be in town for Easter and on Friday and we are going to Powerton Lake near Pekin, IL. This is a powerplant discharge lake and is known for it’s Smallmouth population. I cannot tell you all how excited I am. I normally fish the Mississippi River, pools 13 through 16, and although I catch a few Smallies, the predominent bass is the Largemouth. Thanks for all the help from my fellow IDA members!! Most of what I know about this lake I learned from you. I have never been to this lake before and hope to catch a few. I also need to apologize to all members in the Quad Cities area. The snow last night was my fault. Murphy bit me in the butt. I took my boat out of storage yesterday. Hopefully Murphy is off on Friday and the weather will cooperate, although they are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow night. Anyways, if anyone has any tips or knowledge of Powerton, it is still appreciated. I will post a report, good or bad. Let’s hope it is the prior. — Rob

dave83
    S.E. Iowa

Robby,
    Get yourself a white #5 Mepps and let it fly. Lake is basically a bowl and you will be fishing riprap. Get there early due to the lot filling fast and parking is at a minnimum. Don’t forget to take a look at the board by the ramp. There should be a little sign stating what time you have to be off the lake. I missed this sign last year and a friendly brush cop was waiting for us when I pulled off the lake. Being from out of town was not a good enough excuse for him to cut us a break. Have also had good luck on a mustard colored tube.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks for the tip, we are leaving my house at 4:00 A.M. should take us less than two hours to get down there. You have to be off the lake by 4:00p.m. this time of year. I support out conservation officers. No other cop around runs towards a vehicle in hopes of catching the occupants with an uncased or unloaded gun. Think about it. All of the laws are here for a reason. Some dumb butt messed it it for rational/logical people. I will try the mustard. Thanks– Robby

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Thanks a hole lot for taking your boat out of storage Rob . Let’s see, it’s raining with snow mixed in and winds out of the NE @17mph .
    P.S. I must have taken a wrong turn to get to this forum.

robby
    Quad Cities

Powerton did not treat us well at all. It rained the entire time we were there. The fishing was slow, but a few fish were caught. So size to brag about. I may try it again this coming week. Just about noon the wind picked up and changed directions. The lake swelled and the waves were coming over the sides on my boat. We got out of there. I can say this though, the other people fishing there were all very friendly. Gotta admit this though, I needed a fishing fix and got it. Life is good!

kris_brantner
    My river

theres a guy on the bass pro shops forum named strip pit bassen. he lives down there and fishes powerton alot. he keeps a long every day he goes out and has pictures of all his fish and what he uses and catches him on. i just went and found his website for u. http://www.bassinblog.blogspot.com/
    he usually fishes from shore but i guess its better than nothing

robby
    Quad Cities

Fishermanpepin, thanks! I am thinking about heading back down there this Thursday. Maybe things will be better this time. Could not get a whole lot worse. lol.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.