For those of you that make your own Jigs

• jhall
    Lake City, MN

Have you found a particular paint product that is durable and easy to apply to the heads?

Thanks

Joe

alans
    Waterford, WI

Are you thinking of making your own jigs JHall?

jhall
    Lake City, MN

No, I just want to get high off the fumes AL

HERES YOUR SIGN!

Seriously, Ive made my own for 4-5 years but wanted to know if anyone knew about some different products than the two that Ive used, being a simple Vynal paint and of course the powder paints.

Thanks

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Seriously, you might want to ask those wacky-walleye dudes. I know many of them who paint their own jigs. Plus they constantly bounce theirs off rocks rather than grass.

– d-nort

krisko
    Durand, WI

Oh too funny

I’m like you that is the paints I use. I was at Gander and got some different powder coats and they do chip. It is a good question. I’d be interested in hearing from more of the walleye guys too.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Jhall I use a paint that you can get at Scheel’s. If i remember right it is called “Powder Pro” Not positive tho, because a friend has all my stuff right now getting some made up for the upcoming season. It works real slick and is VERY durable. You just heat the jig up swish it in the powder, pull it out and it only takes once to do a fantastic job! Cure them in the oven for 15 minutes and your ready to go……just remember to clean your eyes out before you cure them, or else you’ll break your eye buster like I did. They come out sooo hard that I actually had to take a fine drill bit and drill out the eyes. LOL

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

sorry JHall I replied before I read your second post….oh well

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Stick with what you are using. You can see the bite marks and they tell you a story about every carry or bite you think you might have had. Switch often when the paint is way to torn up to use and then re-dip. I would hate to see you set back because of simplicity.
    jc

champman
    la crosse

quit throwing them at rocks skeet. seriously, baking them takes care of most of them problems

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I have to!! We got none of dem mud fish!

champman
    la crosse

every year u come up there and prove to you that there’s muddies’ in that water! word to my brother
    OUT!
    denny

riverfan
    MN

Joe,

You know my attitude, why paint them at all? Seriously, the powder paints work well. The finish is so hard that the only way to chip it is to hit something so hard that you dent the lead. One thing you can do to customize your finish is to add glitter. It comes out subdued but you can add some contrasting colors. You heard it before but be sure you have the eye open before you bake the finish or you’ll never use the jig. It’s that tough!

John

swimjig

Here are a couple of more ideas to add to the hopper.

If you are using powder paint and have cast the weedgaurds into the jigs cook them at 250 degrees for 25 min. The powder paint suppliers suggest anywhere from 250 to 325 degrees for the paint. Higher than 250 puts the weedgaurds at risk.

I have found that I get less paint flow into the eyes of the jigs if I cook them at 250 for 25 min rather than 300 for a shorter time. The other advantage is that the paint seems to be a little bit tougher when it is processed slower.

When you go to take them out of the oven let them cool a bit or they will stick together.

Last but not least. MAKE SURE THAT YOU TAKE THE BROILER PAN OUT OF THE OVEN BEFORE YOU START COOKING JIGS. If you leave the pan in and it has not been cleaned after it’s last use it will stink up the whole house. (who says I can’t learn anything new).

kris_brantner
    My river

i dont think ne paint is perfect. most of the factory jigs dont hold up very long under heavy use

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I haven’t had a problem with Brovarney Baits paint chipping. I know they harden theirs.

– d-nort

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.