Slop Gear

• BomberA

I used to hate fishing slop, but now that I have a trolling motor that actually goes when I need it to, I make an occassional stop in the scum. I am wondering what rod/reel/line you go with. I’m assuming you want a heavy rod and a fast reel, but what specific combos do you guys go with.

Thanks

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like a 7-7.5 foot heavy action rod, lightweight if possible, and a braided line like Power Pro in at least 50 pound test.

Right now I have a 7’6″ Falcon flipping stick witha Shimano and a 7’0″ Falcon Carolina Lizard Dragger H action that I use for sloppin.

BIGDADDY280

There are a couple of new frogger rods out on the market 7’11” and 7’10” really good rods J.C. knows about them and I am sure they will suface through the site. POWER PRO 50lb Shimano anything 6:2 to 1 once you have the tools hang on lots of fun!!!!

champman
    la crosse

thought that “live bait” was banned from tournament use!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I’ve been using a 7′ Med/Hvy St. Croix Premier with a Bass Pro Extreme Reel. The reel is pretty much a disposable at $60, and if you work alot of heavy weed beds it doesn’t take long to burn up a reel. I went with the lower gear ratio because it gives you more power to horse the fish up. I normally fish toads, so the presentation is usually slow. I use the 30lb Power Pro, it casts better with 1/2-3/4 baits. Be sure to pick up a rod with a fast tip (not x-tra) so you can really put some yds on your casts, but still have enough backbone to really give’m a rip.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I fish slop all the time. I use at least a 6’6″ med/heavy rod and 14-20lbs test. Pretty light compared to some of the replies here, but strong enough to rip out a stalk of bulrush and pull out most fish.

BIGDADDY280

I float balloons tied off with shadflies. Red balloons seem to work better!! I then pull out the secret weapon the dreaded Sculpin!!!! I normally rig him carolina style with a Sammy then a 3-way and let her go!! Biguns bite it!!! P.S. buzzers are special no market for them right now!!!

BomberA

I think I am now dumber for reading BD’s post.

champman
    la crosse

who let BD in the happy juice again?!

BIGDADDY280

Champman, you know that the juice is purchased by the bucket!! We could have alittle Perfecto!!! and sling the Sculpins??!!??

BIGDADDY280

Sorry, Bomber!! Champman had a victory with carolina rigged Sammies!? Please do not try this at home. This method is only used under the watchful eye of trained professionals!! The weapon of choice for slop is truely what I posted before!! Go Large or Go Home!!

BomberA

If you care to humor me might I ask what kind of conditions/structure/depth do you throw a c-rig sammy.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

You are looking for the perfect sandbar and I know none better than the ones that but up against a little shack that rerves Ice Cold bottles of Bass.
    jc

BIGDADDY280

I think it would be like c-rigging a Heddon “sonar”. Fast,Fast current 15+ft depth, and floating c-rig weight. In all reality I think the author of the article got just alittle confused!! C-rigging and fishing Sammies should have been the quote!

champman
    la crosse

nipped it in the bud too quick again bd. thought this one could have run for at least 2 days

illinois

stradic10 brings up a good thought why use the high speed reel when slop fishing i know i crank 90% of the time with 4:4 to 1 gear ration but i also do it some on a 6:2 to one and i worry alot more about loosing the fish on the faster reel it also feels like im reeling in a mack truck with a little 2 lb bass on

with flipping i see the importance of the faster reel with all the slack line you have spinner baits can be more versitile with the faster reel

but why not in slop fishing use a slower gear ratio that allows people more power to get the fish out of the slop faster and less effort

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Dusty, the “power” part of the fight in slop should only come into play just after the hookset. As soon as you hook-up with a fish in slop, bury the butt of your 7 footer into your ribs (can leave bruises if your throwing braid), give a few quick cranks, then lean back with your rod and get that guy up on the top. I catch myself standing on my toes to help give a better angle to get him up and out (although this could just be another one of those dumb habits that I’ve acquired). Now is where the high-speed (6:1 ratio or more) comes into play. When I pop a fish out of the hole, I can’t crank my reel fast enough. I am honestly out of breath and have a tired hand (that didn’t come out right) after netting each fish. Maybe my technique is unorthodox, but once I get a fish coming to the boat, I very rarely lose them. In fact, in a tournament while I’m cranking as fast as I can, I’ll also swing the rod backwards when the fish is about 15 feet away to double the speed as it nears the boat. My co-angler has to do a Johnny Bench impression and catch this fish in the net that is traveling at least 40 mph (no exaggeration).

Give it a shot. You might notice your landing rate increase with burning the fish over the junk. Just leave out the last little swing at the end so the fish doesn’t face-plant into the side of the boat.

– d-nort

curt
    Winnebago, MN

I’m with d-nort. Get em up and get em to the boat… if you can’t get em up right away I prefer to hold the pressure and try to get the boat to them… since that sucks most the time hahaha I much prefer getting them up and skiing them to the boat. Trying to manage a push pole while holding the pressure on a fish is more coordination than I’m capable… and holding the pressure while my partner push poles doesnt always make my partner happy hahaha.

Curt

willwork4fish

Curt, instead of a push pole, try a putting a Jen-su weed blade on your TM. Its not a prop, its a flat metal blade you hoseclamp onto your lower unit. I have one on my Maxxum 74 and it goes through pad stems like they are not even there. It also keeps fishing line from getting behind your prop. I got mine online somewhere, it only costs about $20.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Hey willwork for fish,

Where did you find that weed blade. I tried a google search with weed blade and Jen-su, I came up empty handed. If you could drop us a link or place to buy it would be much appreciated.

willwork4fish

I got mine from Brad Tharp (Everything Bass) at bassrods.com he builds my rods but he also sells a few boat accessories. I think he actually makes these too. If you get one, it will come with a big cable tie, don’t use it. Get another SS hose clamp like you use for your transducer and you clamp it on using that one and the clamp from your transducer. He also makes one hell of a frog rod, little pricey but if you throw rats a lot its worth the $$.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.