Attention Tournament Anglers

• ncarlson203

I’m looking to get some opinions on a certain topic. Lets say that you are fishing a big money tournament and you get into an area and start fishing, as you look around you see a few other anglers(that usually fish tournaments, but not this particular one). These guys are fishing spots not just watching you. Do you guys think that it’s fishing ethics to stay out of the way or is it a free for all?

bassmaster
    SE, MN

I feel weather your fishing a tournament or not you have to respect another anglers area. Yes there are times when you do fish closer to other anglers then usual. This time of year there is no reason you need to be right on top of another person. Just my feeling.

BassRat

You know, they should leave you alone if they know YOU. Especially not to fish on top of you. But they buy a licence just like we all do. And it is public waterways. So even if it is un ethical, there is really nothing you can do about it……..IMO

Nemo

Some bigger bodies of water you will often have two or more tournaments on the same days. Just because he’s not fishing in the same tournament you are, you can’t assume he’s not fishing in one. Fishing behind someone who was there first, I think is fine…cutting fifty yards in front of another angler is pretty rude! (which happens to me often)

Nemo

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

When fishing tournaments you spend YOUR OWN time fishing and find YOUR OWN fish and tournament day execute YOUR OWN gameplan. This is ethics at its finest. If perhaps you have to share an area that you both found on YOUR OWN ability then you devide the area. First boat in sets the starting area. the 40 yard rule is what I personally use but take the area holding fish and concede 1/2 is for the other guy. You should not be closer than a cast away but as long as you know that you found this area yourself then don’t run off just because there is another boat sharing your area. If you are talking about a small point or cut and you can not fish your area withtout imposing then you got a bad draw and its all happened to the best of us. Don’t fish other peoples fish and you will be fine.
    jc

davec
    St. Paul MN.

I will not cut someone off, but I will start at the other end and fish towards them,then stop fishing and go around the angler,the area where we about to meet is the other anglers water because they where there first,or fish behind them.Mid lake structure however,if the angler was there first they better drop anchor and take trolling moter out of water there is no dibs on the middle of the lake but respect for the other angler must be granted.always check rules in a tourney to see what you are allowed to do.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I know this occurs often with me. I’m working a bank from the south and another boat is working the same bank from the north. I always wonder who’ll give way. I normally will say hello when we are close and if they are fishing for money I’ll give way if I’m not. Usually neither of us are and a quick conversation as to what is working is good for both parties and I never remember who gave way. If we are both in the same tournament I’ll hold steady and claim the “50-yard rule” if I don’t want to give. Not all circuits have this but most do in some way.

The situation you stated is an obvious one. It is not ethics but rather simply good manners to give someone with money on the line room. With that said I doubt that non-tournament anglers would realize or agree with it. The bottom line is you don’t own the water and the other person can legally do as they wish, but it is a good insight as to their character.

ncarlson203

Thanks for your thoughts guys, but let me change the question a little. Do you think those other anglers should even be on the water fishing on the day of a big tourney. Should they go a different day, or fish somewhere else? Riverfan I was told to ask for your personal opinion.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Ready or not, heres mine!

I have been checking this post and trying to decide if I should throw in my input or silently let it go. I tell you what, in my area (pool 4), we all know what tournaments are going on and there are no secrets. If I am fishing a tournament that is a team event, you can tell most of the other teams just by the way they are fishing. If guys are prefishing for one the next day, you can usually tell because they will give you room to do what you need to do (I take a different attitude as well, like, you better get out of my way cause I know your not fishing today.) So, in my opinion and my eyes(just in case you see me on the water), give anglers room that are fishing a tournament room to fish and be effective because you will be on the other end of the spectrum(sp) some day!

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Ncarlson203,tourny anglers should never expect this of other anglers, there are so many tournys out there when could tourny anglers prefish and when would rec. anglers ever get to get the boat wet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.