Swim Jigs

• jwojak

Where can I find some information on swim jigs? Also does anyone know of a quality jig and where I can find them? What kind of trailers would you suggest, my friend suggested power grubs are there any cheepier quality grubs?
    Thanks in advance

scc
    LaX, WI

There is a lengthy dissertation on swimming jigs right on this very forum. Just page back until you find it.
    Steve

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Spinnerbaits

thumper

Here is a very good site http://www.brovarneybaits.com, It’s still in the process of being set up but each individual jig is hand made. They offer more sizes and colors than whats on the site. So if you want something “custom” made let them know. They are local to WI and very dependable. They also custom make some football heads for me. I’ll have to check but I think one of them will be traveling/fishing the BFL with “Inventory” to sell.

I always like to do business with newer entrepreneurs because they are willing to do more for you and always remember their first big customers.

I checked their site and the travel schedule is on it.

coonry
    Iowa City, Iowa

You wont find a better swimming jig….

scc
    LaX, WI

Agreed Ryan, and thanks to RCTackle for filling my order so promptly. I had previously been a fan of Jungle Jigs for swimming but these RC tackle jigs are sweet!!! In fact the very same jig you see on the ad can also be seen hanging from a 3.5 lb LM on my Pool 4 Today post
    Steve

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

LipRipper–
    I agree..the more i’ve started using their swimming jigs, the more i love them.

I’d definitly push their products

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Maybe we could come up with a Bass Sub-Forum strictly limited to Swimming jigs and all their rhetoric and conjecture.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I also used an RC swimming jig this weekend for the first time, first fish on it was almost 4 pounds.

I was kinda disappointed though, I thought I would get one every cast on these things???

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Todays new weight loss strategy.
    Every time I think of eating I will just get the mental image of you jig swimmers in ankle grabbimg position paying your respects. Did I say that out loud?
    jc

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Hey Ryan, Looks like slopbass wants a sponsorship….
    Better give him a ring.
    How is Gordon? Give my best to him the next time you get back home.
    jc

thumper

Sorry boys! But brovaney makes a much better jig and more options. But then again, it’s good your throwin’ somethin’ different than me!

scc
    LaX, WI

Hey c’mon JC! What makes you think that me grabbing my ankles is unappetizing?? My wife likes it, but I think that’s because it gives her a better shot at kicking my [Ooops, did I just say that out loud?!] for going fishing too much
    Steve

gunakapaducka
    bettendorf iowa

Thumper, lets be honest here. A swimming jig is a very simple lure. Please explain how Brovarney Baits makes a “much better” jig! RC Tackle uses nothing but the finest Mustad Ultra Point Hooks, top quality weed guards, and features a superior head design. (Thumper, If Brovarney Bait’s Do-It mold wears out please send me an email, they can purchase mine!)

I think it’s also far to say (check out the previous posts) RC Tackle’s customer service is second to none. Gordon knows his fishing lures as good as anyone on this board! They will work with you on any custom color / skirt / head color you can dream up. I have had numerous orders rushed to me the day before a tournament. Just by checking out the images on the two websites you can tell the huge difference in craftsmanship.

I would also like an explanation of how you make a jig that is not hand-made? And what is the advantage of having a jig hand-made? Maybe this is something we will have to call PitBull on for his expert opinion! His opinion might cost us these days due to his new celebrity status!

Keith

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Keith,

You are definatelly loyal. I will say that for you.

We all concede that RC tackle jigs are a quality jig however I am so sick of infomercials that I could too toss the 12 oz tbone I had to night on your lap.

How about some stimulating content along with personal observation / experience. Oh wait, Brovarney is not in Giving you free merchandise… Now I get it.

Lets stop the advertising and get along with meaningful content and only make reference to what we believe in and use. Not toss pot shots at vendors that we have not merrit nor endorsments through.

jc

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Anyone else have trouble with fish biting the tails off the grubs while doing this? Or am i setting too soon, not soon enough, too heavy of a rod?? I bet i lose a tail every 3rd bite when swimming a jig.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Same problem bb..i trimed up the skirt a bit and actually cut the grub down a bit…seems to work…..one thing that gets me is the damn thing will run to one side or another..I’m a virgin useing dem things but look out!!

scc
    LaX, WI

BB, for quite a while I would swim jigs with an ordinary pitching type rod simply because that was the rod I would most often have a jig on, and yes, I had a lot of trouble with short bites and missed fish. Now (as if I needed an excuse for one more rod ) I use a dedicated swimming rod that is simply a 6’6″ medium action rod with a medium fast tip- essentially a spinnerbait rod. Fewer missed fish with the slower action rod, plus the shorter length and handle are more conducive to the long underhand, backhand and skip casts necessary for getting the jig where you want it.
    Steve

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

thanks steve, i kind of tried using my avid crankbait rod but didnt feel like i was getting enough set with the soft tip (i thought it might let em take it longer) but ill try a 66mf to see if that works better.

pit- i noticed that you have to be meticulous and thread that baby on there dead straight or it will run off- tail down according to monsoor

chewes
    Lansing, IL also known as the Flatland by the Border of IN.

The difference between hand made and not is quite simple. One skirt gets tied on by hand well one is put on with a band. One has all the skirting above the string and one has half on the bottom of the band. Having half your skirt on the bottom and half on the top loses its puff making it not look as inticing. I am glad you asked though because well all your jigs are mass produced others such as mine are all made with TLC for each fish they will catch. But when I see ya at the BFL this weekend you will have to show me at the weigh in how well they worked. Thanks for the nice words Keith.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Go to the top of this page and click on Team Supreme, and look at the new rattlin rascal jig,if you watched the Elete 50 Bassmasers on Sun. you watched Kenyon Hill place 4th swimming the rattlin rascal jig.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.