Bass Patterns

• dewman90

I will be heading up near Woman Lake this Friday hitting a couple different lakes. I just looked at the weather and it looks COLD for early August!

In your guys past experience, how does this cold front effect the fish? I would assume it would make them lethargic and pushes them deeper. What pattern would you be looking for a 3 day cold/rainy front? I am by no means an expert so any advice would really help!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Low and slow. Base of the weedline, smaller baits. Look for inside turns in the weedline where they can “tuck in”. Depending on water clarity, most of your action might concentrated at sunrise or sunset.

And you never know, they might be just fine with this too. Sometimes a change in the weather shakes them loose.

SR

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

I don’t think this time a year it matters that much. It’s only one day or two also. I would fish how you were planning. If they seem a bit slower, then adjust from there. Good Luck.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Couple of both varieties liked leeches lately. Although pretty easy to catch anything with this front moving in.

Depends on what the sun is doing for me, if that thing pops out and all those critters start coming back out to play in the shallows I’d be looking for pads with deep water nearby and poke around in those for blacks.

On Woman have caught probably a couple dozen crays with claws missing if that tells ya anything for browns. Hope it helps, might get after some bass tomorrow will report if I find anything.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170802_193046350_HDR.jpg

FryDog62

I usually find after a cold front the very early morning bite around the perimeter of the lake in usual spots is your best bet but with finesse presentations like wacky worms. Then as the day goes on, if you have sonar, side imaging, etc just go hunting around to find what depth they are hanging out at because they will go deeper and scatter. Then try drop-shotting, dead sticking, even live bait under floats.

dewman90

Got back from the trip. The only thing shallow was dinks. Got 2-3 on a frog the whole trip. Fish seemed to be in 8-12 ft. Bringing a spinner or shallow crank over the top seemed to work the best. Two 5lb were caught both on crankbaits. Managed about 30 fish per day.

What is your go to when the fish are out deeper?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Sounds like you did really well!

dewman90

We did do well, but that was fishing from 6am to 9 pm with only about a 3 hour break. 30 fish was the guy who did the best. The otehrs averaged probably 15 per day. Had to work for them and covered alot of water.

Do you just just a weighted hook for the wacky rig? I did try a drop shot and didnt have any luck. I am still not used to it tho so it could have been just me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.