Base layer clothing

• kevin zurawski

Looking to stay warmer this winter. I have a decent outerwear set up. I am looking to see what base layer clothing works best for the body and the feet. I have a new boot this year so will see if those work better. Any input is appreciated.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Like most products there’s a ton of base layers out there, I’d say do some looking online and also get to a store that has plenty of options so you can acutally feel them and guage how they’ll keep you warm. From there it can come down to your preference and cost range.

One thing I’ve done different over the last two winters is two layers of socks. I’ve got a thin pair of Ice Armor socks that are almost like dress socks. I put them on and then put a thicker pair of wool socks on top of that. My feet are getting real bad in cold weather so the layering is getting necessary.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I start with wool two base layers from Ibex or Smart Wool and then add a warm hoody like the IDO hoodies they sell, which are amazingly warm. Outer jacket has wind protection so the cold wind can’t easily work its way into your core. When inside my shelter I take off my outer jacket and stay very comfortable, since wool allows your skin to breathe.

One trick to keeping feet warm is to wear one pair of thin wool socks, then plastic bags (shopping bags work fine), and finally a thicker pair of wool socks over those. This works amazingly well by forming a vapor barrier. Allows you to wear lighter footwear while out in the cold for extended periods, and doesn’t cost a lot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It took a lot of convincing for me to get Under Armour base layers due to the price, but am VERY glad I did bc they are awesome. 3.0 or 4.0 depending on how extreme of weather you are out in.

Chode2235

Wool is by far the best base layer material. Lots of good options – smart wool, ibex, heley hanson, patagonia, etc. Midweight is good for ice fishing — breathable, you dont get too sweaty getting out and getting set up, and you stay warmer sitting too. I usually wear my baselayer, some sort of hoody, and maybe a fleece jacket depending on the cold and if Im going to be out and about or hunkered down on a spot.

For socks, wool all the way. I think people put too much on their feet and they get sweaty/cold. I like the basic midweight ‘light hiking’ style socks. I’m a big fan of Wigwam or REI, but smartwool etc. The cold sneaks up from the bottom, so a nice felt insole will go a long way in keeping your feet warm. Plus anything you can do to get your feet off the ice if youre going to be out there for a while — small mat or whatever.

Wool isn’t cheap, but its far superior to even the best synthetics. Nice thing is that wool doesnt get smelly like the synthetics too — so you can get one nice set and wear it all weekend… Best place I have found for prices/service is Midwest Mountaineering when they’re having their monthly sales. Go for a ‘pint night’ and get a pint glass (with beer) and get a good deal.

Chode2235

Wool is by far the best base layer material. Lots of good options – smart wool, ibex, heley hanson, patagonia, etc. Midweight is good for ice fishing — breathable, you dont get too sweaty getting out and getting set up, and you stay warmer sitting too. I usually wear my baselayer, some sort of hoody, and maybe a fleece jacket depending on the cold and if Im going to be out and about or hunkered down on a spot.

For socks, wool all the way. I think people put too much on their feet and they get sweaty/cold. I like the basic midweight ‘light hiking’ style socks. I’m a big fan of Wigwam or REI, but smartwool etc. The cold sneaks up from the bottom, so a nice felt insole will go a long way in keeping your feet warm. Plus anything you can do to get your feet off the ice if youre going to be out there for a while — small mat or whatever.

Wool isn’t cheap, but its far superior to even the best synthetics. Nice thing is that wool doesnt get smelly like the synthetics too — so you can get one nice set and wear it all weekend… Best place I have found for prices/service is Midwest Mountaineering when they’re having their monthly sales. Go for a ‘pint night’ and get a pint glass (with beer) and get a good deal.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Look into Minus33.

zooks

For the price you’d pay for UA base layers, I’d definitely go merino wool instead. Smartwool, Icebreaker, Ibex, FirstLite, Kuiu, Sitka are other good brands.

Wool is way more versatile for temperature variances as it both breathes and insulates better than poly plus you can get multi-day wears out of it without getting stinky. Would doubly recommend it if you want to use it for any sort of big game hunting because of its scent control.

competitor
    South central, mn

Agree 100% on merino wool. Expensive but way better than synthetic. Tried all the Under Armor etc. Sits in the drawer now. I ordered my new stuff at woolx.com for 25% off with a free wool face mask. It is nice quality stuff. Super soft.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The primary purpose of a base layer is to wick moisture away from your skin. As for natural fibers, silk is a good one. Wool works well too. Cotton is bad. The synthetic garments are designed to wick moisture.

The biggest thing for me with respect to socks is to not wear something that’s too constricting. I’ve found a looser fitting mid-weight wool sock does as well as anything. Your body will naturally divert blood from your feet to your core in cold weather. A tighter fitting sock may only exasperate that.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Merino wool is the way to go.

MnPat1

Merino wool underneath windstop fleece. I rarely put bibs on anymore.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I asked this recently and bought the UA 2.0 for $60 shipped (tops and bottoms) from eBay. Would have preferred the 3.0 but for the price I nabbed it and I can always try Merino too and see which does better

Daniel Turner

Do not put plastic bags around your feet in any fashion. It will lock I’m the moisture, then they will get cold. Bad idea.

MnPat1

Do not put plastic bags around your feet in any fashion. It will lock I’m the moisture, then they will get cold. Bad idea.

The idea is to put the plastic bag on top of a thin sock and then where an insulating sock on top of the bag. This keeps your boot insulation and your insulating sock dry. This is the method used by mountain climbers.

Daniel Turner

No mountain climber I know, and that includes a whole bunch of ski patrol. Somebody told me to do that exact same thing when I was in high school. My feet were the coldest they have ever been.

Maybe it would work for above freezing temps, but not for cold weather.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Merino wool or polyester fleece – both are good. Avoid cotton.

Ryan Wilson

A $15 ECWS base layer you can get at almost any military surplus store.

I can’t bring myself to spend $100 dollars on something when $15 does the same thing. I seen the prices my local outdoor store wanted for UA and similar brands then left and walked next door. I left their much happier )

fisherman-andy

Nothing but the best Merino Wool on earth….

Ullfrotte Wool Power merino wool base layers!

Ullfrotté Original

Jonesy

I have UA 3.0 top and bottom and have been pretty happy with it. Was out on P4 with temps 26-31 degrees. Had the 3.0, hoodie, and a wind stopping pull over and was warm. Put my carhart jacket on while moving and if I left it on I noticed that I started to get warm after awhile.

I went with the UA because I could not get a straight answer out of anyone in person regarding the merino wool and what I should be looking at and how it compared to the UA 2.0,3.0,4.0

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.