Ball Club Lake

• Dan
    Southeast MN

Will be taking the boys (3 and 5) to Ball Club Lake next Saturday through Wednesday, just wondering if anyone has any general advice or recommendations, or a recommended bait shop in the area. Much of our time now involves trying to find a spot to bottom or bobber fish for pan fish, but I’ve been trying to explain to the boys that there will be times where we need to slowly drive the boat a little for mom and dad to try and catch some bigger fish (crankbaits or live bait rig). Any advice or current trends greatly appreciate.

If you’re a parent of younger outdoorsmen or have been through that phase of life previously with the way young kids’ minds work, you may relate to this story:

Saturday my 5-year-old and I were working on battering and frying our last freezer bag of fish we had and I was explaining how we needed to catch more for future fish fries. I told him that for some of the batter we were using, I had been using that kind long before he was born, which got him asking about fishing before he was alive. Ultimately I ended up having to apologize to my 5-year-old for fishing without him…before he was born…..gotta love the way kids think.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not sure which way your going up, there but Freds bait is in deer river.

as far as Ball Club……i only know where its at and never fished it!!!!!

Alex Fox

Fred’s bait is one of the only places that always has shiners, no matter what. I always go there for bait when I’m up north.

The public access on the south end of the lake can get very shallow, so depending on your boat, you might want to go to the access at the resort on the east side. I think it’s changed ownership a few times, but when I was there last they were very helpful with spots and tactics. Think it’s called 100 acre wood now.

As far as locations, I’ve fished the south hole in the winter with good results on walleyes and crappies, but for summer, I’d ask the locals at the bait shop or the resort.

tswoboda

Sounds like a blast and that’s awesome getting the kids involved and sparking the love for fishing. Sounds like you already have some addicts in training!

Wish I could help with the lake but I”ve got no experience with Ball Club. I do have a little experience with 3 and 5 year olds fishing and my best advice for when they’re not busy reeling in panfish is #1 SNACKS, #2 let them pick the music, and #3 incentives for if they catch a “big fish”. My 5yo daughter 100% associates muskies with ice cream, which in turn makes her love muskie fishing lol

alduit

I fished ball club a week in june this year. There is a TON of northern in the lake. Nothing over 30″ that we caught. All 22-28 mainly. Had some bass and some decent perch. But all mainly northern.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.