Backyard Rink

• Gitchi Gummi

how’s the rink holding up rip? my pond has returned to 100% open water. I hate it. Winter/Xmas just isn’t the same without the cold, snow and ice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not good. We’re now above 50 and isn’t supposed to drop below freezing until at least Thurs morning. Looks like it probably won’t be good enough to skate again until at least Friday or maybe Saturday. Hoping to have a little NYE party so this forecast better hold this time.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0901-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

I had a lot of ice not so much anymore. Guessing it will return to all water in next day or so with the rain coming.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My ice is essentially all gone now. I had what I would guess is 8”+ in spots. Now nothing.

Not only that but the 10 day forecast isn’t looking promising either.

I should just go to work this week. This really sucks.

Ripjiggen

Same. Kid is going to take up basketball instead now. whistling

Gitchi Gummi

[a moment of silence for our gone, but not forgotten ODRs]

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Almost back in business. I think I have about 1.5-2” now. Actually went out and got the snow off and resurfaced today. Hoping to be skating again by tomorrow or Wednesday. I see some teens up ahead later in the week. Hopefully this crap is behind us.

tswoboda

I’ve flooded a mini front yard rink the last couple years with the all natural water on snow method, unfortunately at least 6″ of snow is a key ingredient. Well I’ve been holding out for snow but after making it past Christmas with still no snow I finally caved and built a boards and liner set up. It absolutely pales in comparison to your guys’ rinks but my kids were loving it, first skate on it was yesterday.

Good thing is with the lack of snow they’re actually using it this year. Last couple years when we have a ton of snow they’re way more into snowmo-skiing in the backyard.

Attachments:
    1. ODR-scaled.jpg

Ripjiggen

Looks great and they are having fun.
    It was a long break with no rink but should be good to go again by by tomorrow for the kiddo anyway.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definitely looks significantly colder starting sometime next week too.

CaptainMusky

T the kids are outside that is what matters! All that rain had to do a number on everyone’s rinks. Cooler weather coming and no real storms to speak of for at least a couple weeks should help get things back to how they were if they were messed up.

Ripjiggen

Well gingerly walked on it today. Not much different than yesterday. Would probably be fine for kiddo but she was popping a bit when I was shuffling across. If I can hold it off through Thursday colder weather, I think I will be good to go.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There appears to be about 2” and when I jump out it cracks pretty good. I let the kids go out. Like you, I’m waiting until Thursday. Not going to make much ice tonight. I’ll probably resurface to reduce some of the bumps tonight though. The snow made the surface a little rough. I’m optimistic now for more normal weather the next 2 months.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0918-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve is back to prime condition. At least 3” out there and it is smooth. The weather ahead looks great. A little snow and shoveling is good for a body.

After the warm spell, I noticed my water level went down by about an inch so I’ve got a spot with only 2” of ice now. I hope that doesn’t become a problem. I can’t really add any significant amount of water to the top because the holes in my liner are right at the ice level so it would all just run off. So far so good.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0924-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

The exact same thing happened to mine. Thankfully low spot is right in a corner and it is fairly small. I built it up with a slush mixture smoothed it out and froze it So basically a little ramp in one corner.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The exact same thing happened to mine. Thankfully low spot is right in a corner and it is fairly small. I built it up with a slush mixture smoothed it out and froze it So basically a little ramp in one corner.

That’s hilarious. I did the same damn thing!

Ripjiggen

It’s called home ice advantage.
    I am guessing with the amount he skates and the amount I Zamboni it will be leveled up in no time.
    He pretty much comes home from school grabs a snack and heads outside to get his skates on and waits for the neighbor to do the same.

Gitchi Gummi

Finally got my pond cleared off this week. We will be having a boot hockey tourney out there the day before the super bowl. Should be a good time

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0505.jpg

2. 2ae4f345-.jpg

tswoboda

The ultimate Backyard Rink(s) are set up on Nokomis right now. Pond Hockey Tournament with like 20 rinks going is this weekend, and it’s an absolute blast. Will probably be a swimming pool looking at the forecast.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240123_140001_Chrome.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

After a surprisingly nice start to this season, the last month has been horrendous. Got back from Florida on Thursday to find the rink was 1/3 ice free and about 4” lower than it was when I first flooded it. To make things worse, the liner has tears and slices at the water line, and in some places slightly below the water line.

I went out today and tried patching up the holes with some heavy duty packing tape. I’m somewhat satisfied with how it stuck but I decided to order some proper seam sealing tape for it.

The long range forecast calls for a breakdown of the polar vortex in the next couple weeks and supposed to bring cooler weather to end February and to begin March. Hoping for maybe another week of skating before I give up for the season. They say March is supposed to still be above average overall in spite of a cool start.

tswoboda

Mine completely melted last week, must have had some small holes because the water went way down too. I refilled Thursday night and now today it’s actually thick enough the kids went on it. Only 1 corner where it’s thin and they cracked it up a bit… of course that’s the spot they have to go every time I look away.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I spoke to a friend of mine with a rink as well who hasn’t had much skating at all this year said that they lost a few inches of water too. I don’t think he has any holes in their liner so it could very well be just evaporation. I’m gonna add more water this week and hope it freezes by next weekend.

Viewing 22 posts - 301 through 322 (of 322 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.