ATV mods for Ice Fishing

• Gitchi Gummi

I know there are some older threads on this same topic but I wanted to specifically ask about two things 1) an auger rack and 2) a rear Otter/Monster box.

1) Does anybody have any suggestions on an auger rack for an ATV? I’m looking for one and if possible, would like it to serve double duty as a gun holder in the fall for hunting.

2) Otter Monster boxes. Does anybody have one and if so, how do you like it for ice fishing? Is it lockable? Does it keep stuff on the inside completely dry? Does Otter still make them? I’ve done some google searching and can’t find them on Otter’s website anymore and can only find ones made by Rhino… Are the Rhino ones the same as the old Otter ones?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Kevin Yopp

I use a pair of Kokpin Rhino Grips on the rear rack of my snowmobile, gas auger sits in it perfectly. They’d certainly work for a rifle.

JoeMX1825
    MN

1) Digger Auger mount – by far the best!

2) Monster boxes are nice, but add a ton of weight imo…They are lockable and pretty water tight, They have been re-branded to Rhino boxes, same thing…

Attachments:
    1. Ice-Setup.jpg

yak fish

pool noodle and gun mount, the rack supports the engine and gear box

Anonymous
    Inactive

Windshield!!

Lawrence Luoma

Here is my setup. I use the Kolpin rack as I only use electric drill augers now anyways! The Rhino Extended Lid just rocks up front and you can the attached items. As for the rear I love the Plano Box and I attached a Frabill Rod locker to the top of it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8764.jpg

2. IMG_8760.jpg

3. IMG_8761.jpg

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I’m curious about the positive posts on the Kolpin Rhino Grips. I had a set on my ATV to hold my Strikemaster and I can’t count how many times I almost lost it off the front of my Sportsman every time I hit a bump in the ice, even with it being firmly attached to the machine. Later, I found that they wouldn’t even stay upright holding a rifle or a shovel. I went with the Digger and have never looked back. Even bought another for my sled. Best money I’ve spent ice fishing.

Gitchi Gummi

Here is my setup. I use the Kolpin rack as I only use electric drill augers now anyways! The Rhino Extended Lid just rocks up front and you can the attached items. As for the rear I love the Plano Box and I attached a Frabill Rod locker to the top of it.

I just looked up the rear Plano box and was surprised how much cheaper that was than the Otter/Rhino box. What is the capacity like on that? Can you fit a flasher in no problem?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have been running the Kolpin for 2 years with no issues holding my guns or my Strikemaster Solo 8″ auger.

Kevin Yopp

On my snowmobile the Kokpins hold the auger just fine. I used bungies early on thinking I needed to hold it in place, but I quit using them later because they weren’t necessary. Probably has a lot to do with relatively smooth ride on a sled vs wheeler. Might also be the placement … mine was on the rear which probably feels fewer bumps than the front.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Is there an auger rack out there that will work on a wheeler that does not have the metal bars? Mine just has the plastic.

Lawrence Luoma

If i still ran a gas auger I would go back to the digger or get the new one from Excel outdoors. But since I’m gas free going on five years now kolpin do just fine with 10lb augers!

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

On my snowmobile the Kokpins hold the auger just fine. I used bungies early on thinking I needed to hold it in place, but I quit using them later because they weren’t necessary. Probably has a lot to do with relatively smooth ride on a sled vs wheeler. Might also be the placement … mine was on the rear which probably feels fewer bumps than the front.

A good point. I had mine mounted on the front with the older style round tube front rack. Seemed like it didn’t matter how tight I got it, even with the rubber sleeves, it still wanted to fall forward or backward.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Not a great picture of it, but I built my own rack, using square tubing and angle iron. It holds a milk crate, which has 4 rods holders attached. The milk crate holds my flasher, and at times we were able to fill it with perch when we were chasing them.

The front also has a auger rack.

I’m going to do some work to it this year to hold my Hobie H Crate from my kayak, which will hold 8 rods, and have an attachment for the GPS.

Attachments:
    1. 20160104_075515_zps50nbhvl0.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.