ATV hook up to Otter sleds

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Ok fellow IDOers….Here is my setup on a wheeler I have, I don’t want to remove this ball, yet the otter hitch system obviously won’t fit on a ball (unless I don’t know something)….does anyone have any thoughts as to how I could use the otter hitch system without removing the ball from the wheeler??

jt_fish

I have taken a flat piece of 1/4″ steel, 3″ wide by 4-6″ long and drilled two holes in it. Bolt it down using the ball, the second hole can be used for implements that require a pin.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Cal, I take it your 4 wheeler does not have a receiver ? Mine does and there are 2 chain holes, like on a big hitch, I use one of them. What I would do, is get a small piece of 1/4″ steel, maybe 2″ wide, 4″ long. Drill holes in each end, and put it on the stud of the ball underneath, between the mougting plate and the lock washer. The other hole towards the rear, where you pin your otter to. That keeps it out of the way when you want to tow with the ball too. Simple and clean

big G

theduck

Could a guy take a ball hitch receiver and bolt or weld that to that a piece of square tubing. Make sure the tubing is long enough to attach your otter hitch. Drill a hole for the pin or what ever is needed for the Otter hitch to work. Then you would have no permanent modification but rather an adaptor to use with your otter. I have not done any of this and only thought of this after seeing your situation.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Cal

I saw a plate that sat under the ball that extended rearward about 6 inches. This plate had a small hole towards the back that accepted the pin from the otter hitch. You did need to remove the ball one time to get the plate in place. Now if only I can remember where I saw them for sale. I think it was fleetfarm in the implement/farm equipment section but I won’t guarantee that is where it was either.

theduck

New idea.

After reading the other post about the reciever hitch I brain stormed another idea. Maybe buy a male end reciever hitch with the flat surface and a hole already in it for a pin. Weld or bolt a ball hitch latch to the square part that would normally slide into the reciever. Same idea as I mentioned before but less fabrication because now all you have to do is weld or bolt the two pieces together.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

something like this. i’ve seen these before at retailers, or you can just make one yourself.

Jami

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Hey Cal, this is about the best thing I’ve seen used. With either of these you get full use of either your ball hitch or your pin style hitch.

kroger3
    blaine mn

here is one from cabelas. 35 bucks

cdn
    West Central, MN

Calvin,

Looks like a Honda? I have the same/similar ATV and I use the Mad Dog 3 way ATV hitch. It has everything you need for the ball hitch, a pin hitch and a ring to attach a rope for pulling. I found my hitch at Fleet Farm for $25 in the ATV accessories section.

I installed mine upside down compared to the photo, for clearance issues.

Oops, I see you don’t want to remove the ball. There is also an option to cut a retangled piece of steel, drill a large hole for the ball and drill a small hole for the pin hitch on the other end. Then place the steel plate between the ATV hitch and ball hitch, and tighten.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Thanks for the options, all sound like good options! I think I need to have a serious garage logic session.

I will report back.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

How about a trailer coupler?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

trailer coupler would work provided the gap is wide enough for the otter hitch…..Might be onto something!!!

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Here’s what I use….

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Kolpin also makes a receiver hitch that can replace that triangular-shaped ball mount on your rear axle allowing you to use a regular 2″ draw bar…

This is the one for mine, and it looks HIGHLY similar to yours….

-Munchy

big_g
    Isle, MN

Cal, if you’d like, give me about a week and I will make one in my shop. Then we will just have to figure out how to get it to you b4 1st ice !!!

big G

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Cal, if you’d like, give me about a week and I will make one in my shop. Then we will just have to figure out how to get it to you b4 1st ice !!!

big G

can you drop it off at Barney’s….I will be up turkey day…

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Put a female receiver on the otter sled.

Do you know any guys that can weld Alum?

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

After posting…..

I read thru – clearly many options.

Dog

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

big G

can you drop it off at Barney’s….I will be up turkey day…

My problem is, I am busy tomorrow, hunting sunday. I won’t be able to work on it until next week in the evening… don’t plan on getting to the Valley for anything before then.. either way, we can figure something out, I am guessing before 1st ice. A buddy of mine just opened a bar/restaurant in Albertville, so I need to get over there anyways one of these days

big G

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

How about a trailer coupler?

Yep! Did that for years. I just sold my Otter. I used a trailer coupler with a hole drilled through it. Then used a pin through the hole and through the hole in the Otter hitch. Also used my Otter hitch on top of my snowmobile sled to hold the front of the Otter to the sled. I took the ski hold down bar and welded on a tab sticking up with a hole in it on one end. Then I turned the ski hold down bar to run forward… from the front to the back of the trailer….. and drilled another hole through the ski down bar and the trailer…. straight down through the whole works. I then would turn the ski hold down bar with the normal screw down peg in the middle so that it was running front to back and when the new holes lined up I would drop a 8″ bolt trough the hole preventing the bar from moving. With the welded on tab now on the front of the bar I would turn the Otter hitch 1/4 turn and line up the holes and put in a hitch pin. Strap down the back of the Otter and away we go. I am sure I did not explain this very well but if you have questions let me know. It worked very, very well.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Cal, fabbed one out of a piece of 1/4 aluminum I had laying around. I will give it to Kooty today.

big G

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.