ATV in 5’7″ Ram bed?

• Reef W

Haha, I would like to know how many Rams with a 5.7 didn’t have cracked manifolds.

I think it was just the bolts that broke on mine. I have lifetime maxcare on my 2013 so I don’t pay that much attention, if mechanic says something is wrong I bring it to dealer and give them $100 deductible to fix it. I’ve had:

– transmission cooler leaked a tiny bit and was replaced
    – two wiper motors, entirely my fault probably I always see if they’ll get snow off in winter before doing it myself
    – the manifold bolts or some bolts somewhere broke
    – power steering, whole unit not just the pump, went out at about 150k and was replaced

Never stranded me at least! My only hesitation about getting a new one is the rust. I took such good care of it and even though it’s mechanically great it looks like poop

walleyesforme

May I suggest the ones that go off after you push it off a cliff out of frustration?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My current preference if I was shopping for a half ton today based on reliability, performance:

1. Ford
    2. Ram
    3. Toyota

42. Chevy/GMC

That is so true. It is tragic what a bunch of shitboxes GM is designing and building now. Not just trucks, but across the board. And this is from a 35 year GM buyer with one still in the garage.

walleyesforme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    My current preference if I was shopping for a half ton today based on reliability, performance:

1. Ford
    2. Ram
    3. Toyota

42. Chevy/GMC

That is so true. It is tragic what a bunch of shitboxes GM is designing and building now. Not just trucks, but across the board. And this is from a 35 year GM buyer with one still in the garage.

Facts! I know my next truck will be a Ford. Seems like they have been way ahead of the game for a while now.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TillrLife wrote:</div>
    Haha, I would like to know how many Rams with a 5.7 didn’t have cracked manifolds.

I think it was just the bolts that broke on mine.

Never stranded me at least! My only hesitation about getting a new one is the rust. I took such good care of it and even though it’s mechanically great it looks like poop

Yes, I believe you are correct. The bolts would break, and the manifold could crack.

Only place I had rust issues, was where the front bumper, front fender well met. It must have trapped water in that area and I would see a drain mark stained with rust.

I kind of swore off Ram after that truck, but we’ll see.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is it just me or has Dodge kind of backed itself into a corner the last few years? They used to be one of the more inexpensive brands but it’s like they tried the old real estate trick where if you can’t sell it cheap try making it super expensive. It seems like it’s not working out to well for them. Their gas motors are light years behind the competition. Not sure about the Diesel line of trucks but really? Who wants to pay $100k for a truck? Pretty niche market. I’ve heard rumors of hundreds of year or two or three year old carry overs still on the lots at lots of places. Not hating on dodge or dodge owners just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Are you guys thinking about refinancing your houses to get a new dodge or how can you pull the trigger on a price tag like that? A few guys I work with have recently bought them and they were all well over $100k

It’s just you, because you are not living in reality. I just looked online at Morries (formerly Brandl Motors), and the only Ram 1500/2500 that is over $100k is the TRX with the 6.2l Supercharged Hemi. The top trimmed out regular Ram 1500 OR 2500 is under 90k, with most between $50k-70k.

I’m yet to hear complaints about the Cummins diesel, by all accounts people rave about them. And I’ve personally put on 275k miles across two 5.7l Hemi’s, and today at 105k miles on my second one is the first time I’ve had to stick any money into it, a new exhaust manifold for a few hundred bucks. I am disappointed they are going away from the 5.7 though, as I would keep buying them but am not going to buy a V6 turbo truck.

Stanley

This is a 2024 ram 1500 with about 20k miles that I put a box side on. You can see the rust already starting between the panels. They all rust especially in Minnesota but I thought this was a little premature given the age and miles.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3701-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah grubson your half right I had 2 manifold studs break, but not a drive axle. And I don’t ever recall putting a water pump in it.
    Either way that was a great truck

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is a 2024 ram 1500 with about 20k miles that I put a box side on. You can see the rust already starting between the panels. They all rust especially in Minnesota but I thought this was a little premature given the age and miles.

What is that a picture of ? Looks like the bare metal was exposed by something rubbing/scraping it.

orve4

My Ram has Rust on the rear wheel axles

CaptainMusky

Its really too bad Ram is killing the 5.7 hemi. Been a great motor for years.

Stanley

Big G, that is a picture of the inside of the box side above the wheel. Just the outer panel. The holes are from cutting the spot welds that hold the skin on to the outer wheel well.

This is a Chevy box side and outer wheel well. I had to replace the wheel well also so I had something to attach the new box side to since it was so rusty.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3721-scaled.jpeg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Yeah grubson your half right I had 2 manifold studs break, but not a drive axle. And I don’t ever recall putting a water pump in it.
    Either way that was a great truck

I certainly remember hearing that water pump howl coming back from an early ice trip to Mille Lacs a couple of years ago. I thought you had a drive axle issue too ( many do). Either way not trying to start anything just giving you a hard time. toast

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.