Atv cargo box recommendation

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just picked up a 21 honda foreman and want to put front qnd rear cargo boxes on it, or possibly just rear. Need them for ice fishing. Something I can put gear in and what ever else for a day on the lake. If i go with a front one as well i also need to be able to mount my auger above it.
    Just seeing if any one is happy with ones they have purchased

catmando
    wis

I buy Stanley boxes from Walmart or tractor supply and tie down them to the wheeler, one in the front ,one on the back, they hold up pretty well.18×36 is about the size.

404 ERROR
    MN

I use the Dewalt Toughsytem tool boxes. I can strap them down via the handles and still be able to open them. You may be looking for something bigger and suited specifically to an ATV though.

JoeMX1825
    MN

it’s a bit heavy, large and pricey, but there’s no better box for icefishing than the Otter/Rhino Monster Box, especially if you buy the accessories that attach to the sides of it (I use the rodbox and 5 gallon bucket holder) There’s so much space in/on it that you won’t even need a front rack box… I used a digger auger mount in front vs the Monsterbox Auger tube accessory….

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9472.jpg

bfishn

I have the same setup as JoeMX and it doesn’t really get better for ice fishing. The only thing I did different, is I mounted my digger carrier as far forward as possible and then just made my own shallow front box to my preferred dimensions to maximize the space in front.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Man those are sweet boxes but wow are they spendy. Do they stay nice and weather proof?

JoeMX1825
    MN

yes, on the weather proof… honestly other than the added weight (about 35 lbs) they are the perfect atv box…Runnings carries them at their stores, I picked mine up in Monticello, MN, if you have one near you this will save you the insane shipping costs…

Every now and then you’ll see used ones up for sale (IDO classifieds recently had one that sold) but then you’re dealing with somebody else’s mounting bracket holes you’ll need to plug if not re-used… I think it’s best to just bite the bullet and buy a new one…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have the same setup as JoeMX and it doesn’t really get better for ice fishing. The only thing I did different, is I mounted my digger carrier as far forward as possible and then just made my own shallow front box to my preferred dimensions to maximize the space in front.

We’re on the same line of thinking, my digger mount is as far forward as the Grizzly rack allows and I use the area behind it to strap down other stuff if needed. I like having the front rack as open as possible to not block my steering wheel headlight and I keep my Lowrance GPS ram mounted on the front rack for easy visibility.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

so jealous of that setup @joeMX1825. someday…..

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I put an Otter Monster Box on my Kodiak last fall and love it. Like JoeMX said, so much room I don’t even bother running a front box. I have the bucket holder on one side and I made up a mount for a milk crate to attach to the other side and then I use Kolpin Rhino Grips on the front rack for my auger. I leave those on in the summer too as they’re handy for carrying tools doing lawn work. The box is also pretty handy in the summer since this is a work machine that doesn’t get trail ridden.

Would I buy one again — yes.

Edit: attached a photo from last fall after mounting the box.

Attachments:
    1. 2E42103F-B53A-47B4-BCC8-14578EC8AE12.jpeg

JoeMX1825
    MN

so jealous of that setup @joeMX1825. someday…..

thanks! Its the culmination of 3-4 snowmobile & atv flips over the years…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dang they want 130 just for shipping. Thats non sense. I will have to find a store. Or make it to the warehouse im only a half hour 45 away.
    I called ups and they said it should be 30 bucks to ship. Otter can kiss my butt on the 130 mark

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

That’s nuts!

I snagged mine last season when Sportmans guide had them for $252 shipped. Couldn’t pass on a new one at that price.

bfishn

I bought my Otter box at Runnings a few years ago at the end of Ice season for $225 and the slide on rod box for $75 )

Scheels has carried them at times too, but I’ve never seen them on sale there.

Cameron white

Monster box on the rear, home made auger mount/rod holder on the front.

Attachments:
    1. B6C83CC3-DE58-44CF-AC35-D38AF71870C4.jpeg

Cameron white

Clicked on the wrong picture.

Attachments:
    1. 1A2E14F2-22FE-4A91-98E7-2743B4BFA329.jpeg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Cameron-
    Do you run the ATV all season up on Winnipeg or do you switch to snowmobile later in the season?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

is it a pain to swing your leg around to get on the ATV with that monster box on back? Just looking at the pictures i envision my big ole winter boots hitting the monster box when i try to swing my leg over.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

is it a pain to swing your leg around to get on the ATV with that monster box on back? Just looking at the pictures i envision my big ole winter boots hitting the monster box when i try to swing my leg over.

Step over the seat, just like if you have a passenger

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Yep, haven’t every caught myself complaining about it. Just step over the seat.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

good to know. im not the most flexible anymore and sometimes when you have those big old bibs and jacket and boots on you can end up feeling like that kid in the Christmas story movie

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

No doubt! Not always easy when bundled up. I do find myself sometimes dragging a boot on certain parts of the plastic body panels and scuffing it a bit but it’s a tool, not a showpiece.

Keep in mind my Kodiak is considered a “baby” ATV by some. It might be more difficult on the larger machines that are all the rage these days.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

good to know. im not the most flexible anymore and sometimes when you have those big old bibs and jacket and boots on you can end up feeling like that kid in the Christmas story movie

I feel your pain crappie. The older I get the more my son teases me and I look back and remember doing the same to my dad.
    I never thought I’d get older and not so fragile but the days are here now.
    I showed my son a skate board trick a few weeks ago that took me out of work for 2 days lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

I feel your pain crappie. The older I get the more my son teases me and I look back and remember doing the same to my dad.
    I never thought I’d get older and not so fragile but the days are here now.
    I showed my son a skate board trick a few weeks ago that took me out of work for 2 days lol

LOL! Yes indeed! A skateboard would probably do the same to me. getting old feels so foreign to me still but its right around the corner. I always remember when i was younger and the old timers would ask me to go get them a soda cause they didn’t want to get up from being sore and i used to think they were just being lazy and taking advantage of me. NOPE! That soreness is REAL!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.