Are You "Iced-Out"?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Not saying I’m done ice fishing for the season quite yet. But my thoughts are starting to drift towards Spring, open water, and other activities.

What about you guys?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m with you. The only thing keeping me somewhat interested in Ice Fishing is the fact that the Great Ice out panfish bite is not to far off. That is if this spring is anything like the last few.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ice Fishing is great before Christmas, then again from March to ice-out. Open water fishing is on my mind year-round with a few winter outings sprinkled in on the river.

In between those dates, I don’t get nearly as excited about ice fishing. In general, my best fishing has always been when there’s less than 12″ of ice and less traffic. January and February are easily my least productive days on the ice. They also coincide with the biggest crowds, most wheelhouses, vehicles, etc.

craig s

It’s the “dog days of winter” I’m burnt and looking forward to rotten ice….

Charles

Yup I am done lol I am looking forward to being in a boat this summer been remodeling a house all season long.

sinfish

Nope, I prefer ice over open water. I like summer fishing too but not as much as ice.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I love summer fishing, but ice fishing has so many things that make it just as fun in it’s own way.

*You can drive to the spot in your truck
    *You can catch fish while you are cooking venison on the grill
    *You can relax on the couch while you jig walleye
    *You can fish an entire weekend with the whole family
    *Kids and wife can do their own thing when they are sick of fishing
    *Never once have a I heard “can we go home now”

Just last night we caught a bunch of walleye and fried them up on the ice minutes later. To top it off there were zero bugs! Ya ice fishing is awesome, but any day I’m fishing is a great one. Not sure how anyone can complain about fishing…

BTW there is 31″ of ice. It’s gonna be awhile.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

We have lots of open water time. Keep the ice going!!!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

This season hasn’t gone as planned. Ive been so busy with family that I think ive only gone out on the ice maybe 5x all year. I hope to get out a few more times but yeah im looking forward to getting the boat out of storage and chasing those open water crappies. It happens around this time every year, my initial excitement for ice fishing has waned and now im just ready for a different season.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I get out on quite a few 3-4 hour trips, in the Ice Castle… sure makes it nice fishing and I always leave wanting a little more… did spend one night and ended up with 4 walleyes for my efforts. I enjoy both, but it just seems “easier” to go ice fishing… with a house out and turn key ready, just bring bait !

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im ready for some warm evenings soaking crawlers on the river bottom and watching rod tips. Laid back fishing.

kabefisherman11

I feel the same way as I do in the dog days of the summer. Ready for the change

BigWerm
    SW Metro

After spending Thursday-Sunday on LOW, I’m a little iced-out but a literal and figurative recharge of the batteries should have me good to go soon!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I am happy that I can still drive out and let the kids watch a movie, and let the wife X country ski, while I fish. Still hoping to get my 4yr old his “night on the ice” this Friday otherwise we might miss it since we aren’t free until March. Only when things get warm and sketchy do I get tired of ice, but once rivers open up it’s on to kayaking anyway.

tim hurley

March ice fishing can be great-for me April open water fishing is very slow (have had a few great trips though) so still enjoying the ice while I can.

queenswake
    NULL

It is so easy to just drive out and be fishing within minutes. No traffic, no crowds at the ramps, etc. But the most important thing for me is a lot more free time. During spring and summer, there are so many more obligations and it can be hard to even get out. But now? So easy to duck out for a few hours on the ice. Everything kept in the truck. Just go.

But yeah, I’m getting tired of the cold. I hope the thaw happens slowly so we can enjoy a long time of late-season ice without walking through a sloppy mess. Nothing better than being out hole hopping out in the open.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I haven’t even been out yet this year! redface

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’ve been making jigs the last 3 days I’m ready for the boat. Ice fishing dilly dilly.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

So easy to duck out for a few hours on the ice. Everything kept in the truck. Just go.

But yeah, I’m getting tired of the cold. I hope the thaw happens slowly so we can enjoy a long time of late-season ice without walking through a sloppy mess.

Me too, I am getting tired of the cold…stepping out every morning for work and getting that immediate chill. And then waiting for the bus in the evening. Brrrrr! Sure glad I got that Striker Ice Hardwater coat as I have been wearing it daily for the past several weeks…to work!
    I’m done with cold but certainly not the ice fishing. I guess you can’t have one without the other? The ice season is so short compared to open water fishing and I anxiously look forward to it each year. Already thinking about places to try next year. I embrace it for many of the reasons others’ have posted here.
    But this cycles like the seasons, end of open water…looking forward to ice season. Get towards the end of ice season and thoughts turn back to open water.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This ice fishing year reminds me of this song….

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

still fishing hard water for eye and pike but real soon the ice SRATCHER will be washed rinsed and parked to make way for SCRATCHER II to make waves on P-4 the ice in wahkon bay is probably thicker than I have seen in many years mille lac will be frozen solid for opener lmao!!

wannab218er

Not yet. A little tired of the brutal cold but beggars can’t be choosers. I enjoy popping a bunch of holes and bouncing around for the day. Ice comes and goes so fast it feels like it’s here and gone in no time.

MNdrifter

Been gone 7 of the last 8 weekends, and a couple longer trips in there, I have one last run this weekend to the Mille Lacs GTG. Then it’s mostly done for me other than maybe an afternoon here/there and one more Ice out pike trip in mid/late March. Gotta admit it’s been a grind, but I know how much I’m going to miss it in a few months so I’m getting my fill. I’m impressed though, my 9 and 6 year olds held up the whole season. I would never make them go, and always gave them the option to stay home with mom. Other than one weekend the 6 y.o. Had a birthday party they decided to come with me. So I’m guessing they got the bug. I wish the ice season lasted 1/2 the year and open water the other 1/2.

queenswake
    NULL

It’s a good problem to have. I’ve always thought that I’d get bored living down in FL, etc where you are able to fish in one style year-round. I’m sure there are slight changes in fishing even down there throughout the year, but I doubt enough to make it interesting. I’d like to think that up in the northern climates we really appreciate each short season and the anticipation is like none other for each to arrive.

Keeps things interesting.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ice fishing sucks and I suck at ice fishing. Good thing I can get on the river 12 months a year!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Ice fishing sucks and I suck at ice fishing. Good thing I can get on the river 12 months a year!

Thank you for letting us know… applause

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yes! It’s been a particularly slow hardwater season for me. I just bought new tackle storage and reorganized a lot of my tackle today for the open water season. Thinking about picking up my boat the second week of March. Need to put new seats in it and do a couple other mods. Still a long ways off though…..

Jonesy

I’m iced out at November. Just not my thing.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m iced out the minute the ice forms. I only ice fish because I’m not a river guy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.