Were Oneida Eagle bows ever any good?

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Thats a great deal!

I just gave Steve an email.

Hope they still have fat guy sizes.

johnee

In a strange turn of events, my father bought an Oneida Golden Eagle bow at a garage sale. For $25.

Obviously, neither of us is a bow hunter, dad’s last bow season was 1969 and things have moved on a little since then.

I’m assuming this thing is a 1980s or 1990s bow. It’s one of those jobbies that looks like a recurve, but has a compound mechanisim. It’s in absolutely mint condition, looks like whoever bought it had notions of “getting into” bow hunting and then shot it 12 times and decided it was too much work.

Were/are these bows considered any good? Are they worth anything more than he paid for it or is there no market for something this old?

Many thanks.

Grouse

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hopefully Tom Gursky will see this post. He knows a lot about that bow.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

I dont know anything about that particular bow, however, old bows are great bow fishing bows.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

My mom shot one for years. She won a ton of 3D and indoor tourneys with it before she joined the XI staff…. Boy that was a long time ago! I would love to post a picture of her with the bow and all her trophies but if she seen that I put it on the web… she would KILL me!
    By the way… They are still in business
    http://cponeidaeagle.com/

johnee

Well, I did some looking around on the Interweb thingy and it seems like these were known as high-end bows back in the day, but technology and customer preferences have kind of left them in the dust.

I might shoot it sometime, just to see what it’s like.

I wish I had time for archery. That’d really be fun. Mrs. Grouse is all in favor of me taking it up, as long as I shoot the deer that are eating her flowers.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Great bows during their time! I shot a Hoyt back then and was ridiculed by my buddies that had the GE’s. They were a heavier bow compared to the Hoyt, but pretty smooth. My only complaint was the cable noise. Not that the Hoyt was much better, but it seemed like we needed to dampen the sound on every part of the bow.
    The only issue I am aware of, which is the same on any older bow, is to make sure the limbs were torqued evenly and everything turns smoothly. I know a couple guys that still hunt with them and they perform fine.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I actually owned one, for about a month. I bought 2 bows from a guy and one was a 3D Golden Eagle and the other was the Oneida Screaming Eagle. I sold the Oneida as it was very heavy, very loud and compared to the 3D, very complicated. I would think it shoudl easily be worth the $25 he paid for it, i would love to have mine back , to hang on the wall in the cabin

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Killed with one last season! Same deal, father in law grabbed it at a rummage sale, marty at archery hq turned it into a pretty darn accurate bow!!! I still have it, but purchased a mission venture which has been insanely accurate for me on the 3-d courses and target shooting. The screaming eagle “insert screaming eagle sounds here,” did her job, but I have moved on. Very loud bow, at your 20 yrd pin u have to compensate aim if it is closer than 20, but she will kill if you need her to-“inserting more screaming eagle sounds.”

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Back in the late 80’s I hunted with a guy who shot one of those. As has been stated, they were high-end back then. He liked it, but I specifically remember a time when his cable broke on him while at full draw. …Took a few stitches to the chin to seal that one up.
    …If I remember correctly, I think he took/had the MN state record non-typical whitetail (for one year) with that particular bow.
    ….Long time ago now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

They were a good bow and quite a few guys shot them here, wasn’t uncommon to see them in the field and in shoots.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Back in the day they where a heck of a bow . I shot the Tom Cat then moved up too the Screamin Eagle . Both shot well , killed deer with them both an won some 3D Shoots . But were loud an heavy . I didnt know the difference to be honest back then . All in all it was fun too shoot .

charlesj

I had a freind that used to live and die by those Screamin’ Eagles and I can tell you that he was deadly accurate with that thing. I do remember a few times bear hunting though when he’d try to shoot sitting down and the limbs would catch in his boot or a random branch and pull the bow out of his hands. I’d say that’s they’re only real downfall is that there is so much moving on that bow when you release the string. We always teased him that if he got a flat tire on the way home from archery league that he could use the Screamin Eagle as a jack somehow

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.